Report: SLAW

  • Jennifer Hajj
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 14, 2002
      Hello Utah a cappella fans!  Following is a short summary of the Salt Lake A CAPPELLA Workshop that took place last weekend at Westminster College.  It was a great success!

      It all started Friday evening with an intriguing lecture from Richard Greene of the Bobs.  Because the crowd was intimate, the lecture on the History of A cappella Music turned into a question and answer session where many wonderful topics were discussed.  Sugarhouse Voices came up for a master class where they learned some wonderful things about focus and blend.  Then, Richard taught the group a Bobs tune, "Caravan", where everyone had to sing like a trumpet.  I know I went home buzzing my lips that night, did you?

      Bright and early the next day, we started off talking about vocal warm ups and tried several under the direction of Matt Cropper, Kathie Allen and Jen Hajj.  Some of the groups selected for master classes had a chance to perform, and then we got into the meat of the day's lectures.  Some of my favorites were "Care of the Professional Voice" and "Techniques for Basses".  Darena, a Balkan women's group and the ever-popular Moosebutter had their master classes.  Octappella, originally scheduled for a master class, had some scheduling conflicts, so we listened to their CD and Richard talked about recording techniques and producing.

      Richard Greene was fantastic!  An excellent professional musician and speaker, Richard knows his craft intimately and conveyed his message with great wit and ease. His lectures were entertaining and informative; his masterclasses, honest; and his overall delivery, professional and friendly.

      Overall, it was a great couple of days, and I'm convinced that this workshop will be offered again in the future.  It was a lot of fun to produce!  Big thank you's to all who came, and to those who didn't, look for us next year!

      Jen Hajj
      SLAW Coordinator