Re: [CSNA's U Street News] church parking or Black Cat

  • DHunter
    Message 1 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
      Jason

      Double parking at churhes has been eliminated without writting a single ticket
      I supported eliminating double parking
      But not with police greeting parishners sunday morning. Sorry.
      We found close to 200 additional parking spaces, opened the Reeves Center on Sunday and there is no double parking in Logan or on V street.
      I call that success

      As for Black Cat-- we have had multiple meetings negotiations and conferences. The overwhelming majority of residents who live in the immediate vicinity oppose the expansion and many complained of current noise, trash, lack of parking fighting and other adverse acts related to the nightclub. I received a petiton from nearly 100 residents who live within 2 blocks of the nightclub.
      The ANC voted to oppose the expansion. Just as we voted to close Club U, Killis and Between Friends.
      There were many from other neighborhoods who oppossed my position. This is very similar.
      I am representing the ANC and other protestors.
      The meeting on the 28th is to prepare for the hearing not solicit debate.
      Black Cat can be a good neighbor by withdrawing the expansion plan and working to respond to existing neighbor concerns.
      I remain open to negotiating an agreement. Black Cat does not wish to. So a hearing will be held and if ABRA is responsive to the community
      we will succeed again

      Dee Hunter, Esq.

      Message 2 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
        Neighborhood residents have been attending a slew of ANC meetings to
        register their opposition (and occasionally their support) to an expansion
        of the Black Cat in the form of a roof deck. It should be patently obvious
        that any expansion of the Black Cat beyond it's existing (interior) space
        and capacity has the potential to negatively effect those who live within a
        block or two. Crowds, noise and a further reduction in available parking are
        just a few of the most obvious concerns. The question is not just whether
        the Black Cat is a good neighbor, but also whether it would continue to be a
        good neighbor when it has a roof deck capable of supporting 230 people and
        music until 4 AM.

        Dee Hunter has responded to the vocal opposition to a roof deck. In other
        words, he has responded to the repeatedly voiced concerns of his
        constituents.

        By all means voice your support or opposition to the Black Cat to Mr. Hunter
        and the other ANC commissioners, but do not kid yourselves into believing
        that you have not had ample opportunity to do so long before now at the
        monthly ANC meetings.

        Especially when it is an �elected� official who is supposed to take all

      • Jason Powell
        Message 3 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
          I think the point was not whether it is right or wrong, but how Mr. Hunter
          only chooses to listen to residents when he chooses. The parking issue
          around churches was local residents complaining but it fell upon a deaf
          ear. All of a sudden he is a supporter of the little man and the local
          resident. Basically, he has his own agenda that has nothing to do with the
          complaints of residents as far as I'm concerned.

          On 10/19/06, Alexander Wood <sandwood@...> wrote:

          > Neighborhood residents have been attending a slew of ANC meetings to
          > register their opposition (and occasionally their support) to an expansion
          > of the Black Cat in the form of a roof deck. It should be patently obvious
          > that any expansion of the Black Cat beyond it's existing (interior) space
          > and capacity has the potential to negatively effect those who live within
          > block or two. Crowds, noise and a further reduction in available parking
          > are
          > just a few of the most obvious concerns. The question is not just whether
          > the Black Cat is a good neighbor, but also whether it would continue to be
          > good neighbor when it has a roof deck capable of supporting 230 people and
          > music until 4 AM.
          >
          > Dee Hunter has responded to the vocal opposition to a roof deck. In other
          > words, he has responded to the repeatedly voiced concerns of his
          > constituents.
          >
          > By all means voice your support or opposition to the Black Cat to Mr.
          > Hunter
          > and the other ANC commissioners, but do not kid yourselves into believing
          > that you have not had ample opportunity to do so long before now at the
          > monthly ANC meetings.

        • Mike McDonnell
          Message 4 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
            If one cannot attend the next ANC meeting (Sat, October 28th - right?), how can he/she voice their support (or opposition, to be fair)? Is there an official outlet to do so?

            Thanks

          • LOUAFT@AOL.COM
            Message 5 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
              Does it really seem unreasonable that residents who may live in the streets
              adjacent to and behind the Black Cat might want to voice concerns and try to
              mitigate the potential for direct noise interrupting the peaceful enjoyment of
              their homes nightly through the wee hours of the morning. The fact that we all
              share an urban neighborhood, not a pasture or open air park in the country,
              suggests that maybe those who are alarmed by a proposed "expansion" from
              indoors to outdoors might involve just a bit more than just fighting your right to
              party. While I live walking distance to, but significantly out of earshot of,
              the Cat's rooftop, I don't find it hard to empathize with the concern's of
              this establishment's direct neighbors. They ought to get a respectful hearing.

              Sorry, but this is hardly a case of prudes and killjoys trying to shut the
              music down. Let's don't try twisting this into something it isn't. Let's try
              being a bit more civil and dispensing with the cheap shots and ad hominem
              sniping.

              Lou

            • Mike Junge
              Message 6 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                I tend to go in deaf mode anytime someone signs their name with a pompous "Esq".

                Maybe its just me.

                Sincerely,

                Sir Micheal Junge

                Message 7 of 24 , Oct 19, 2006
                  Thank you. I appreciate the candid response. I agree the result of the
                  arrangement in regards to church parking was great. I think it should be
                  clear, however, that we on the Logan Circle committee came up with a
                  solution that was agreed upon to all parties and that committee was in place
                  well before you were involved. Our compromise solution was disregarded by
                  the mayor in large part because you helped convince the mayor to disregard
                  our agreement. I agree the solution was success... but you should not take
                  credit for the actions of others especially when you fought our progress
                  from the outset.

                  As for Black Cat, thank you again for an answer to the questions I posed. I
                  appreciate your efforts to support local residents. It is a tough issue and
                  leaving it to the members of the community to decide is the right thing to
                  do, and the residents voice should be heard. I only wish you took this
                  approach with all issues as your response on church parking was shut up and
                  deal with it until you were forced to help. We had the same petition and
                  were told to stuff it. If you support the residents then I am all for your
                  actions and am happy to see it. Please just understand that all community
                  members should be heard regardless of your personal view on the issue.
                  Thank you for your efforts. Enough said.

                  Jason

                  On 10/19/06, DHunter <dhunterlaw@...> wrote:

                  > Jason
                  >
                  > Double parking at churhes has been eliminated without writting a single
                  > ticket
                  > I supported eliminating double parking
                  > But not with police greeting parishners sunday morning. Sorry.
                  > We found close to 200 additional parking spaces, opened the Reeves Center
                  > on Sunday and there is no double parking in Logan or on V street.
                  > I call that success
                  >

                  > As for Black Cat-- we have had multiple meetings negotiations and
                  > conferences. The overwhelming majority of residents who live in the
                  > immediate vicinity oppose the expansion and many complained of current
                  > noise, trash, lack of parking fighting and other adverse acts related to the
                  > nightclub. I received a petiton from nearly 100 residents who live within 2
                  > blocks of the nightclub.
                  > The ANC voted to oppose the expansion. Just as we voted to close Club U,
                  > Killis and Between Friends.
                  > There were many from other neighborhoods who oppossed my position. This is
                  > very similar.
                  > I am representing the ANC and other protestors.
                  > The meeting on the 28th is to prepare for the hearing not solicit debate.
                  > Black Cat can be a good neighbor by withdrawing the expansion plan and
                  > working to respond to existing neighbor concerns.
                  > I remain open to negotiating an agreement. Black Cat does not wish to. So
                  > a hearing will be held and if ABRA is responsive to the community
                  > we will succeed again
                  >
                  > Dee Hunter, Esq.

                • Brian Smith
                  Message 8 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                    Mr. Hunter,

                    Funny because a little farther down from Logan...the double parking issue
                    still exists. Anyway there is a line that really troubled me....the
                    difference between Killis/Between Friends/Club U and the Black Cat is there
                    has not been a documented shooting at the Black Cat. If ANY of those clubs
                    had done what was needed to curb the OK Corral that happened outside of each
                    establishments (with patrons who had been in the clubs right before).
                    Before you call me out Club U was “only” a stabbing. The Black Cat is and
                    has been a fantastic neighbor that draws dollars into Logan/U...why penalize
                    them for trying to bring more money into our neighborhood?

                    If they violate the rules...get serious complaints...THEN use ABRA to slap
                    them.

                    And Jason you Nailed it!

                    On 10/20/06 12:53 AM, "Jason Powell" <powell33@...> wrote:

> [...]
                    >> vicinity oppose the expansion and many complained of current noise, trash,
                    >> lack of parking fighting and other adverse acts related to the nightclub. I
                    >> received a petiton from nearly 100 residents who live within 2 blocks of the
                    >> nightclub.
                    >> The ANC voted to oppose the expansion. Just as we voted to close Club U,
                    >> Killis and Between Friends.
                    >> There were many from other neighborhoods who oppossed my position. This is
                    >> very similar.
                    >> I am representing the ANC and other protestors.
                    >> The meeting on the 28th is to prepare for the hearing not solicit debate.
                    >> Black Cat can be a good neighbor by withdrawing the expansion plan and
                    >> working to respond to existing neighbor concerns.
                    >> I remain open to negotiating an agreement. Black Cat does not wish to. So a
                    >> hearing will be held and if ABRA is responsive to the community

                    >>> sectionid=2465&sectionname=artistfeature&subsectionid=5692&subse
                    >>> ctionname=jet>

                    >> U Street News is provided by the Cardozo Shaw Neighborhood Association (CSNA)
                    >> ­ Join Today! Visit http://join.csnadc.org
                    >> Yahoo! Groups Links
                    >>

                    >> <mailto:ustreetnews-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com>

                  • Renee Hamlen
                    Message 9 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                      Why is this such a black or white issue? Shades of gray could make everyone
                      happy. It¹s incredibly undemocratic to demand a withdrawal from a thriving,
                      neighborhood-friendly business without real efforts to compromise.

                      Late night sound appears to be the the only real issue (and one I completely
                      understand as well), so why not limit the hours, set terms for
                      amplification, etc. Merriweather Post Pavilion in Md shuts down its concerts
                      by 11pm for the sake of neighbors. Hell, the poor guy that opened the Irish
                      bar on 9th/Vermont is restricted as such and he doesn¹t even have any
                      outdoor space.

                      Renee

                      On 10/19/06 10:43 PM, "LOUAFT@..." <LOUAFT@...> wrote:

                      > Does it really seem unreasonable that residents who may live in the streets
                      > adjacent to and behind the Black Cat might want to voice concerns and try to
                      > mitigate the potential for direct noise interrupting the peaceful enjoyment of
                      > their homes nightly through the wee hours of the morning. The fact that we
                      > all
                      > share an urban neighborhood, not a pasture or open air park in the country,
                      > suggests that maybe those who are alarmed by a proposed "expansion" from
                      > indoors to outdoors might involve just a bit more than just fighting your
                      > right to
                      > party. While I live walking distance to, but significantly out of earshot of,
                      > the Cat's rooftop, I don't find it hard to empathize with the concern's of
                      > this establishment's direct neighbors. They ought to get a respectful
                      > hearing.
                      >
                      > Sorry, but this is hardly a case of prudes and killjoys trying to shut the
                      > music down. Let's don't try twisting this into something it isn't. Let's try
                      > being a bit more civil and dispensing with the cheap shots and ad hominem
                      > sniping.
                      >
                      > Lou

                    • B Smith
                      Message 10 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                        Truthfully it is because we are all (including me) self centered jerks...we
                        do not realize that one of the downsides of living in a city is, in fact,
                        noise! Noise from cars, people, businesses etc...it is a part of CITY
                        living.

                        My NYC native wife always tells me "If they do not like it...they should
                        move to the suburbs".

                        Do not get me wrong, I realize music at 2 am may be bothersome and something
                        that needs to be dealt with...but I bet you that if Dee and his minions went
                        to Dave Grohl and the rest of the owners of the Cat and asked for a
                        compromise they would work something out. Time and time again I have seen
                        postings on this site bitching about noise and music from U Street
                        establishments...and I always ask..."did you go and ask the manager about
                        it?". Bar owners are businessmen and women...they get it...without
                        community support they are toast. In a few months the community will be
                        complaining if Duffy's was to shut down...but this school of thought made
                        Andy have to adopt to ridiculous rules BEFORE he did anything wrong! ABRA
                        hearings are a venue to deal with problem establishments not to stop
                        businesses from doing business in our neighborhood.

                        Instead of marching on an establishment with pitchforks drawn...why not sit
                        down over a drink and discuss as members of the same community?

                        On 10/20/06, Renee Hamlen <rhamlen@...> wrote:

                        > Why is this such a black or white issue? Shades of gray could make
                        > everyone
                        > happy. It�s incredibly undemocratic to demand a withdrawal from a
                        > thriving,
                        > neighborhood-friendly business without real efforts to compromise.
                        >
                        > Late night sound appears to be the the only real issue (and one I
                        > completely
                        > understand as well), so why not limit the hours, set terms for
                        > amplification, etc. Merriweather Post Pavilion in Md shuts down its
                        > concerts
                        > by 11pm for the sake of neighbors. Hell, the poor guy that opened the
                        > Irish
                        > bar on 9th/Vermont is restricted as such and he doesn�t even have any
                        > outdoor space.
                        >
                        > Renee
                        >
                        > On 10/19/06 10:43 PM, "LOUAFT@... <LOUAFT%40AOL.COM>" <LOUAFT@...<LOUAFT%40AOL.COM>>
                        > wrote:
                        >

                        > > Does it really seem unreasonable that residents who may live in the
                        > streets
                        > > adjacent to and behind the Black Cat might want to voice concerns and
                        > try to
                        > > mitigate the potential for direct noise interrupting the peaceful
                        > enjoyment of
                        > > their homes nightly through the wee hours of the morning. The fact that
                        > we
                        > > all
                        > > share an urban neighborhood, not a pasture or open air park in the
                        > country,
                        > > suggests that maybe those who are alarmed by a proposed "expansion" from
                        > > indoors to outdoors might involve just a bit more than just fighting
                        > your
                        > > right to
                        > > party. While I live walking distance to, but significantly out of
                        > earshot of,
                        > > the Cat's rooftop, I don't find it hard to empathize with the concern's
                        > of
                        > > this establishment's direct neighbors. They ought to get a respectful
                        > > hearing.
                        > >
                        > > Sorry, but this is hardly a case of prudes and killjoys trying to shut
                        > the
                        > > music down. Let's don't try twisting this into something it isn't. Let's
                        > try
                        > > being a bit more civil and dispensing with the cheap shots and ad
                        > hominem
                        > > sniping.
                        > >
                        > > Lou

                      • Allison Fletcher Acosta
                        Message 11 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                          "The question is not just whether the Black Cat is a good neighbor, but
                          also whether it would continue to be a good neighbor when it has a roof
                          deck capable of supporting 230 people and music until 4 AM."

                          Since when has ANY bar in DC been allowed to stay open until 4AM?

                          I also live within walking distance, but not in the immediate area, of
                          the Black Cat. While I can certainly understand why immediate neighbors
                          would be concerned about additional noise coming from a rooftop deck
                          that holds 230 people & music, personally I would be more worried about
                          even more people congregating out on the streets in front of my house to
                          smoke.

                          It seems like there's got to be some kind of compromise - like how about
                          a roof deck that does not play music, or the deck doesn't increase the
                          club's overall capacity (seems like it wouldn't anyway from a fire code
                          standpoint anyway)?

                          -Allison

                        • B Smith
                          Message 12 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                            Allison...

                            EXACTLY!

                            On 10/20/06, Allison Fletcher Acosta <allison@...> wrote:

                            > "The question is not just whether the Black Cat is a good neighbor, but
                            > also whether it would continue to be a good neighbor when it has a roof
                            > deck capable of supporting 230 people and music until 4 AM."
                            >
                            > Since when has ANY bar in DC been allowed to stay open until 4AM?
                            >
                            > I also live within walking distance, but not in the immediate area, of
                            > the Black Cat. While I can certainly understand why immediate neighbors
                            > would be concerned about additional noise coming from a rooftop deck
                            > that holds 230 people & music, personally I would be more worried about
                            > even more people congregating out on the streets in front of my house to
                            > smoke.
                            >
                            > It seems like there's got to be some kind of compromise - like how about
                            > a roof deck that does not play music, or the deck doesn't increase the
                            > club's overall capacity (seems like it wouldn't anyway from a fire code
                            > standpoint anyway)?
                            >
                            > -Allison

                          • jeffrey willis
                            Message 13 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                              Neighbors,

                              Just a reminder - even when one of these hot-button issues comes up, you don't have to reply to everyone on the list serve. Please just respond to the emailer & leave the rest of us in peace.

                              Thanks,

                              Jeffrey Willis

                              Message 14 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                                Dee, what evidence can you provide that your constituency widely opposes this expansion? Did I miss the announcement about the "community" meeting to encourage open debate and discussion before you decided for everyone what the best course of action would be?

                                Are those in favor of the proposal, who can testify about the positive impact the Black Cat has had (such as increasing neighorhood diversity, benefits to local businesses, etc.) welcome to join as well, or is your little club for the closed-minded only?

                                Message 15 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                                  Close-minded club? Not only is Mr. Hunter a
                                  member...he is also its President.

                                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                                • Mike Junge
                                  Message 16 of 24 , Oct 20, 2006
                                    You may wish to revisit the rules of this list serve. It states that it is a forum to air concerns and express opinions that are of concern to the neighborhood. If you do not wish to be a member, there is a method to unsubscribe, or you can do what I do, just hit the delete key before even opening the email. Problem solved.

                                    It is my opinion that anyone who uses Esq after their name is pompous and as the ANC1b Chairman who is elected from the illustrious body that composes this list serve chooses to use this form of address...well I will let you figure out the rest.

                                    Sincerely your neighbor,

                                    Sir Junge