Skip to search.

Re: [U Street News] Better notice needed: 15th Street Bike Lane Project

  • Matthew Rhoades
    Message 1 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
      Is this a permanent removal of parking between U and V on the west side?

      On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM, David Gossett <dgossett@...> wrote:

      This project has been in the works for months, has been on the
      listserv and blogosphere repeatedly, and is sorely needed by us
      bicyclers! Please don't interfere with its timely completion.

      --
      Sent from my mobile device

      --
      Matt Rhoades
      1626 15th Street NW, #101

        href="mailto:jim%40grahamwone.com" target="_blank">jim@...<mailto:jim@...>

        href="http://www.grahamwone.com" target="_blank">www.grahamwone.com<http://www.grahamwone.com>

        --
        Sent from my mobile device

        --
        Matt Rhoades
        1626 15th Street NW, #101

      • bobjasak@hotmail.com
        Message 3 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
          No it's not! There are bike lanes going in both directions one block over on 14th that no one is ever in.

          This is a bad project and ruining the only road that works in DC. And I'll vote against anyone who supports this project and the way its being implemented and work to get everyone I know to do the same.

          Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T

          From: David Gossett <dgossett@...>
          Date: Wed, 4 Nov 2009 09:20:32 -0500
          To: Jim Graham<grahamwone@...>; ustreetnews@yahoogroups.com<ustreetnews@yahoogroups.com>

          On 11/4/09, Jim Graham <grahamwone@gmail. com> wrote:
> [...]

            > I do appreciate that DDOT pulled out the poles once I brought this omission
            > to their attention.
            >
            > Please pass on to others who are interested.
            >
            > Bests, CM Jim Graham
            >

            > I typically answer emails before 9 AM on weekdays. If you email me after
            > that, it is likely that you will hear from me the next weekday. If there is
            > a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish to call me. For most
            > effective communication, please use my direct email address:
            > jim@...<mailto:jim@...>
            >
            > Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa. Ave., NW, #105, Washington, DC
            > 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).
            >
            > Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the Transportation (including
            > alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number: 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW,
            > #116, Washington, DC 20004.
            >
            > Chairman and Voting Member, Board of Directors, WMATA/Metro.

          • AARON EVEN
            Message 5 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
              Jim,

              I live in Ward One and this has been posted for months. Its embarrassing to say that people were unaware of it. The issue I have is, why block off the entire street to do this project, instead of doing it one block at a time. From what I have seen, all they have done is put parking barriers up and have nothing else in over a week. Does it seriously take that long to paint some lines on the road?

              Aaron-

              Message 6 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
                All -- The bike lane on the curb with parking moved out one lane is already being done here below U Street on 15th. See most recent posting below at Borderstan.com.

                DDoT: 15th Street Bike Lane Operational by Week’s End

              • Scott Pomeroy
                Message 7 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
                  This project is a mix of viewpoints coming toActually the bike lane on 14th stops at U Street.

                  Message 8 of 17 , Nov 4, 2009
                    Sorry,

                    What I was going to say. Is it is good to get the real commuter bike traffic off of 14th which has way too much commercial activity and busses to serve as a good route for getting into the city. Hopefully 15th will achieve that goal.

                    Some people love the 15th Street expressway with 5 northbound lanes, but it has resulted in several bad accidents at 15th & Florida as it constricts. The expressway will still remain and now bikes will benefit as well.

                    Personally I would have liked to see it go two way to make 15th more pedestrian friendly, which it surely is not now. However that would have been the most costly of the options DDOT considered.

                    Scott Pomeroy

> [...]
                    >

                    > > > that, it is likely that you will hear from me the
                    > next
                    >
                    > > weekday. If there is
                    >

                    > > > a need to communicate prior to that, you may wish
                    >
                    > > call me. For most
                    >

                    > > > effective communication, please use my direct
                    > email
                    >
                    > > address:
                    >

                    > > > jim@grahamwone.
                    >
                    > > com<mailto:jim@ grahamwone.
                    >
                    > > com>
                    >

                    > > > Jim Graham, Councilmember, Ward One, 1350 Pa.
                    > Ave.,
                    >
                    > > NW, #105, Washington, DC
                    >

                    > > > 20004. 202-724-8181; 202-724-8109 (fax).
                    >

                    > > > Chairman, Committee on Public Works and the
                    >
                    > > Transportation (including
                    >

                    > > > alcohol regulation). Main Committee Number:
                    >
                    > > 202-724-8195. 1350 Pa. Ave., NW,
                    >

                    > > > #116, Washington, DC 20004.
                    >

                    > > > Chairman and Voting Member, Board of Directors,

                  • Brian Smith

                      Message 10 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009

                        Thanks for your email Mr. Smith.  Please excuse the delay in responding, but it has been an exceptionally busy time.

                        I agree with you that all of these matters are serious ongoing safety concerns.

                        Regarding double parking, I authored a law that passed this summer to improve enforcement against double parking and to improve the management of loading zones.  District Department of Transportation (DDOT) is currently developing new fines and regulations to comply with this law.  In addition, the Council recently passed a law setting a specific fine for parking in a bicycle lane.  I have recently asked for MPD's assistant Chief Burke and DDOT Director, Gabe Klein, to report on enforcement of this law.

                        Regarding actions to improve pedestrian safety, please review my strong record.  To cite a few very recent accomplishments:

                        • I authored $1.5 million per year for the pedestrian and bicycle safety enhancement fund to accelerate implementation of the District bicycle and pedestrian plans.
                        • I advanced a bill which was passed by the Council to increase the fine for motorists who violate the pedestrian right-of-way.
                        • I authored funding to train DDOT traffic control officers to issue moving and parking violations so that we could have increased enforcement of traffic safety laws.
                        • I authored funding to accelerate safety improvements to the most hazardous road segments around the District.
                        • I advanced legislation to create and fund a Pedestrian Advisory Council, appointed by Councilmembers, to advise the Mayor and the District Council on priority pedestrian improvements.

                        I encourage your ongoing involvement in pedestrian and bicycle safety activities.

                        Message 11 of 17 , Nov 17, 2009
                          Councilmember,

                          While we all appreciate the efforts you have made to improve pedestrian and bicycle safety, I do have to take issue with one point in your email. You state that you "advanced a bill which was passed by the Council to increase the fine for motorists who violate the pedestrian right-of-way," but this isn't a clear explanation.

                          You actively lobbied against bill 17-0539 that was introduced by CM Cheh (and 7 other councilmembers with two more signing on as co-sponsors) and refused to bring it before your committee for a public discussion for a noticeable period of time (7 months) until you received pressure to do so.

                          You were so opposed to the legislation that when ANC1C was prepared to offer a resolution in support of it, you emailed commissioners requesting that they vote against the resolution (which was ultimately approved 6-0).

                          Again, no one is denying that you have made efforts to improve pedestrian and bicycle safety but it would be helpful if you were more clear in your messages about just what you have done.

                          Mindy Moretti
                          ANC1C04

                            Message 13 of 17 , Nov 18, 2009
                              I would also like to say that I too appreciate the contraflow bike lane on 15th street. I have been apprehensive about riding to work down 14th street because of the many, many vehicles (delivery trucks and otherwise) that use the bike lane as short-term parking. If you look at http://dc.mybikelane.com/map, you will see that 14th street is one of streets with the most bike lane violations in the city. If I don't leave my apartment by 7:30am, I might as well consider the bike lane "turned off" for rush hour. I have been using the southbound 15th street lane and find it a relatively quiet ride. Although a protected lane makes it more difficult to pass other cyclists and makes leaf/ acorn cleaning more challenging, I am glad I have a choice and would rather deal with these minor inconveniences than the major inconveniences of the disregarded bike lane of 14th street. Thanks to everyone who worked to get this lane, and I hope to see more bike lanes around the city, of any sort as long as they are accessible.

                              --- In ustreetnews@yahoogroups.com, Sundeep Hora <sundeephora@...> wrote:

                              > Just want to say that I really enjoy the southbound bike lane. It was a
                              > great idea because with the barrier created by the parked cars, it is much
                              > safer to bike down 15th Street in comparison to 14th street where I
                              > constantly felt like I was going to be hit by a bus. Thanks to all who came
                              > up with the idea and got it implemented. I hope that more cyclists start
                              > using the new bike lane b/c if the city sees that it is being used, the
                              > concept may get implemented elsewhere. I also think that the northbound
                              > lane on 15th street should be the same as the southbound lane. I'd prefer
                              > not to ride in traffic with the cars who do not respect the fact that
                              > cyclists are permitted to use the entire lane.
                              >
                              > On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 8:48 PM, Mindy Moretti <anc1c04@...> wrote:
                              >

                              > > Councilmember,
                              > >
                              > > While we all appreciate the efforts you have made to improve pedestrian and
                              > > bicycle safety, I do have to take issue with one point in your email. You
                              > > state that you "advanced a bill which was passed by the Council to increase
                              > > the fine for motorists who violate the pedestrian right-of-way," but this
                              > > isn't a clear explanation.
                              > >
                              > > You actively lobbied against bill 17-0539 that was introduced by CM Cheh
                              > > (and 7 other councilmembers with two more signing on as co-sponsors) and
                              > > refused to bring it before your committee for a public discussion for a
                              > > noticeable period of time (7 months) until you received pressure to do so.
                              > >
                              > > You were so opposed to the legislation that when ANC1C was prepared to
                              > > offer a resolution in support of it, you emailed commissioners requesting
                              > > that they vote against the resolution (which was ultimately approved 6-0).
                              > >
                              > > Again, no one is denying that you have made efforts to improve pedestrian
                              > > and bicycle safety but it would be helpful if you were more clear in your
                              > > messages about just what you have done.
                              > >
                              > > Mindy Moretti
                              > > ANC1C04

                            • Jim Graham
                              Message 14 of 17 , Nov 20, 2009
                                Neighorhood News for Greater U Street

                                To clarify my role in increasing fines for motorists who fail to yield to pedestrians --

                                The “Pedestrian Safety Reinforcement Amendment Act” originally proposed $500 fines for failing to yield to pedestrians.  That seemed like a high fine, and when you have a  higher fine it very often discourages enforcement, as MPD and others are reluctant to issue such a fine in many cases.

                                My position has been that more enforcement is what we need most.  There is no point in large fines if there is little or no enforcement.

                                Thus, we now have a $250 fine for failing to yield to pedestrians.  Combined with my efforts to increase enforcement I think this will help our efforts.

                                Further, as a result of my work, the law now includes increased points on your driving record for failure to yield to a pedestrian – possibly a more important deterrent.

                                I also included a clarification to include failure to yield to pedestrians on a sidewalk (for example, when crossing the sidewalk on a curb cut).

                                I continue to believe that more enforcement and more traffic calming should be our priority for safer roads.