Re: [ustav] (unknown)

  • James Morgan
    Message 1 of 32 , Oct 4, 2001
      From: "Stephen Reynolds" <stephen.r@...>
      To: <ustav@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 8:21 PM
      Subject: Re: [ustav] (unknown)

      > Bless, Father!
      >
      > Dear Father Alban,
      >
      > I must respectfully disagree on 'Joachim' and parallel cases, on the
      following basis:

      > While it is true that in English (unlike a number of European languages)
      'Joachim' is not common as a given name, it is nevertheless a Biblical
      name, and therefore has a tradition of pronunciation in English. That
      tradition is given in many reference books, one example being _The
      Interpreter's Dictionary of the Bible_. I cannot reproduce in e-mail the
      phonetic symbols used in _IDB_, but it prescribes 'JOE-a-kim,' the first
      syllable as in 'Joseph,' the second like the _a_ in 'about,' and the third
      as in 'Kimberley.' I believe that this will be found the same as the
      recommendation of any other such reference book. Even unfamiliar names are
      best pronounced by analogy with well-known ones.

      > While I have not yet heard 'Gilead' pronounced with a 'soft' _g_, just
      last week I did hear 'Chosroes' pronounced with the English 'ch' sound, as
      in 'choose' (a sound that exists neither in Hebrew nor in Greek, although it
      certainly does in Slavonic), as 'CHORE-a-zeez'! So I expect the Jilly shoe
      to drop some day in 'Gilead' too.

      > Stephen Reynolds

      Reader James speaketh unto the other readers:

      One sure way to not make some real howlers, is to read over the texts of the
      service beforehand (preferably in a well-lighted space (<g>) and ask the
      priest his preference as to strange words. Of course, if he does not know ,
      well you still have to wing it!

      Reader James Morgan
      Olympia, WA
    • S. Miller
      Message 32 of 32 , Aug 25, 2012
        All days have antiphons in the Studite Typikon; the Psalms & the Beatitudes came in w/thye Sabbaitic Typikon.

        The special ones for this feast are:

        1. Ps. 91:1 ff. w/Through the prayers....
        2. Ps. 92:1 ff. w/Son of God, carried in the arms...
        3. Ps. 94:1 ff. w/tropar of the Feast

        Entrance verse as in current Typikon

        frS