[ustav] Biblical Odes

  • Daniel Olson
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 9 12:29 PM
      On 8 Feb 99, Nikifor Franklin wrote:

      >Are the biblical odes read at Matins tomorrow (Tuesday)?

      The Lenten form of the biblical odes is not used when a feast of
      polyeleos rank (such as the 1st and 2nd Finding of the Head of the
      Forerunner, which is today) occurs on a weekday of Great Lent.

      This does not mean, however, that the biblical odes are entirely
      omitted, because there is an abbreviated, festal form of the biblical
      odes that is appointed to be used on feasts and during festal periods.
      This festal form is found in the Irmologion. Unfortunately, it is now
      very rare to find the festal form of the biblical odes being used. The
      only place that I know of where it is currently used is in the Cathedral
      of the Transfiguration in Los Angeles, California. In general practice,
      the biblical odes have been replaced by the short refrains, except on
      weekdays of Great Lent, when the Lenten form is still commonly used.

      It would be very desirable to make available a small brochure containing
      the various forms of the biblical odes -- besides the Lenten and festal
      forms, there is also a daily form -- for those who would like to
      reinstitute the use of the biblical odes throughout the year, as
      prescribed by the Typicon. Perhaps this is something that the St. John
      of Kronstadt Press would be willing to undertake.

      >If not, what refrains are used for the canons of the Triodion?

      The proper refrain to the troparia in the canons of the Triodion is:
      "Glory be to Thee, our God, glory be to Thee!" The proper refrain to
      the Theotokion in the first canon is: "Most holy Theotokos, save us!"
      "Glory..." comes before the triadicon of the second canon, and "Both
      now..." comes before the theotokion of the second canon. Before the
      final troparion of the second canon, the refrain is: "Glory be to Thee,
      our God, glory be to Thee!"

      >What is the order for chanting the Second Ode?

      On regular Tuesdays of Great Lent (i.e., when there is no feast day),
      the Second Ode begins with the verses of the biblical ode. After all
      the verses of the biblical ode have been sung, the irmos of the first
      canon is sung, followed by the three troparia and the theotokion of the
      first canon. Then two troparia are read from the second canon, followed
      by the triadicon and the theotokion. The final troparion of the canon
      is then read, followed by the irmos of the second canon, which is sung
      as the katavasia. The refrains for the second ode are always the short
      refrains indicated above.

      When there is a feast day, such as occurs today, the only difference in
      the rendition of the second ode is that the verses of the second
      bibilical ode are omitted at the beginning, and the ode begins with the
      irmos of the first canon.

      Daniel Olson

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
    • cezarcl@xnet.ro
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 12, 2003
        My name is Cezar Login, and I belong to the Romanian Orthodox Church. I grduated the medicine Faculty, but I am also very interrested in the study of Liturgical Theology and Typikon.
        I subscribe this for some time, and finally I decided to write a mail.

        Some time ago, reading some texts I understand that the Biblical Odes can be used during the entire year, and not only during the great Lent, as they are now in our monasteries.
        Fr. J. Shaw confirm this to me. I also saw this by searching the Liturgical guide published by the Moscow Patriarchate.

        This year, in Romanian, the Great typikon of St. Sava was reprinted, after about 200 years of absence (the last edition was publish in Iasi, in 1816). I found there that the Biblical Odes are to be use in 3 different forms> 1. great lent, 2, weekdays ("To the Lord let us sing..."), 3. feast. ("Let us sind to the Lord...")
        This is what I found also in a post of Mr. Daniel Olson.
        In the Typikis a reference to the Irmologion, but I can not find one here in Romania. The only edition of the Biblical Odes I can find is that in the Psalter. The only note there is that the 2nd Ode is to be used only on Tuesdays of the Great Lent.

        Can anyone tell me which verses are omited and which verses of this Odes are use in the two nonlenten forms of the Odes (the one that is use on the weekdays, and the more abreviated one that is used on the feast days)?
        This will help me a lot with the Matins, until I'll find a Romanian edition of the Irmologion.
        Thank you for your help.
        Yours in Christ,
        Cezar L.

        Xnet scaneaza automat toate mesajele impotriva virusilor folosind RAV AntiVirus.
        Xnet automatically scans all messages for viruses using RAV AntiVirus.

        Nota: RAV AntiVirus poate sa nu detecteze toti virusii noi sau toate variantele lor.
        Va rugam sa luati in considerare ca exista un risc de fiecare data cand deschideti
        fisiere atasate si ca MobiFon nu este responsabila pentru nici un prejudiciu cauzat
        de virusi.

        Disclaimer: RAV AntiVirus may not be able to detect all new viruses and variants.
        Please be aware that there is a risk involved whenever opening e-mail attachments
        to your computer and that MobiFon is not responsible for any damages caused by
        viruses.
      • Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 12, 2003
          --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "cezarcl@x" <cezarcl@x> wrote:

          Dear Cezar,
          The Horologion published by St. Tikhon' Press in South Canaan,
          Pennsylvania, has all 3 forms of the Odes in English.

          In XC,
          Sergius Miller

        • cezarcl
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 13, 2003
            Dear Sergius,
            Thank you for your help.
            But I am in Romania, and here I cann't find any book that contains this Biblical Odes in all the 3 forms.
            Can you help me with the English text of this.
            Cezar
          • angela draghici
            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 29, 2003
              Cezar Login,
              Where in Romania do you live?
              I was there in Jun/July in Sebes, Alba Judetul.
              I was at the Cathedral in Alba, and looked through their book store and church store for some books I wanted of Cleopa. Their supply is very limited.
              Have you tried to see if any of the seminaries or universities have what you are looking for?
              Cluj and Sibiu both are large enough that you may be able to have someone help you.
              Or try Bucuresti.
              Doamne ajuta,
              Angela Draghici
              http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

              http://corp.mail.com/careers
            • S. Miller
              Message 6 of 6 , Jan 4, 2013
                There is a complete file of the Biblical Odes on the Typikon list. These are the translation of Archimandrite Kyril. All 3 versions of the Odes are given: Sun./Festal; Weekday/Saturday; and Weekday, Great Fast.

                DnS