Re: [ustav] Multiple Prokeimena

  • JAPROTO@aol.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
      In a message dated 8/30/01 8:38:26 PM, frseraphim@... writes:

      << or does the
      reader then chant the first half, and the choir answers with the
      second half, as when there is only one prokeimenon? >>

      This is what I was taught to do when I was a reader.

      Dn John
    • Isaac E. Lambertsen
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
        Dear Deacon John,

        I have never heard this done in any of the churches I've been in. And I
        must say it doesn't make sense to me. Logically, it would seem that, in
        order to chant the second half of the second prokimenon, the choir should
        first hear it read through once completely (as is the case when a single
        prokimenon is done). Peter Fekula's directions follow the pattern which
        prevails everywhere I've been. I wonder if, when you were trained to read,
        someone gave you less than competent advice...

        Sincerely,

        Isaac Lambertsen.

        ----------

        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 1, 2001
          In a message dated 9/1/01 12:21:39 PM, ilector@... writes:

          << Dear Deacon John,

          I have never heard this done in any of the churches I've been in. And I
          must say it doesn't make sense to me. Logically, it would seem that, in
          order to chant the second half of the second prokimenon, the choir should
          first hear it read through once completely (as is the case when a single
          prokimenon is done). Peter Fekula's directions follow the pattern which
          prevails everywhere I've been. I wonder if, when you were trained to read,
          someone gave you less than competent advice...

          Sincerely,

          Isaac Lambertsen.

          A senior moment on my part - you are quite correct. It has been a while since
          I read as a reader. I should have counted to ten before I responded. I had
          somehow transposed the pattern for the single Prokemenon in my mind and I
          responded hastily. Peter's advice is correct. I've got too much on my mind
          right now.

          Deacon John
        • Ploverleigh@aol.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2001
            In a message dated 8/30/01 1:38:09 PM, frseraphim@... writes:

            << When there are two prokeimena, does the chanting of the prokeimena
            end with the choir repeating the second prokeimenon, or does the
            reader then chant the first half, and the choir answers with the
            second half, as when there is only one prokeimenon?

            -- Fr Seraphim von Abele >>

            I've seen both ways done.

            I think the first is easier.