Re: [ustav] non-obikhod Slavic chants

  • Ploverleigh@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 4, 2001
      In a message dated 7/3/01 7:20:42 AM, christian.moulton@... writes:

      << I have found the Kieven Chant Stichera melodies, courtesy of St. Vlads,
      but what about tropar melodies? Other forms? Carpatho? >>

      Amongst my goodies are three books: Terkovnoye Prostopinije, published in
      1900 or thereabouts (Malnich and Bokshai), and a later revision, Irmologion,
      published in 1970 (Papp). These are books of the Carpatho-Russian
      Prostopinjie, which according to the late Professor John von Gardner, is
      closer to Znamenny than the present chant of the Russian Church.

      The third is a book of the Ukrainian variant of Prostopinjie, published by
      the Ukrainian Basilians in Rome, but I can't lay my hands on it to give you
      the name.

      The first was reprinted by Byzantine Seminary Press in Pittsburgh. And you
      can find it on Interlibrary Loan.

      There are also some big books of Serbian Chant that I've seen and wish I
      could get my hands on.

      Also, somebody set the Sunday Octoechos to Serbian Chant in English; this
      includes the Beatitude verses, but alas, not the canons. I would give you the
      bibliographic information on that, but I was given just a photocopy of the
      musical portion.

      All these books are monodic chant in Western notation. Bokshai is in Slavonic
      script, Papp is in Latinsokye, and the Ukrainian book is in Russian Civil
      Script.