Re: Upcoming service 5th Sunday after Pentecost

  • Fr. John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 11 , Jul 3, 2001
      I saw Natasha's post this morning, and sent in a
      message acknowledging the typo and stating that I had
      corrected the text on my site. For some reason, that
      message (though sent twice) ended up nowhere, but my
      mail is going through now.

      So... sorry. Scribal error.

      Any time the stuff on my site disagrees with the
      printed menaion, let me know, but chances are very
      good that the printed menaion is correct and that I
      just mistyped something.

      :)

      =====
      * Fr. John Whiteford IC -|- XC *
      * ----|---- *
      * St. Jonah of Manchuria Orthodox Mission | *
      * Serving the Spring, Woodlands, \| *
      * and Conroe, Texas area. |\ *
      * http://www.saintjonah.org/ NI | KA *

      http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
    • Natalia Carol Mulligan
      Message 2 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
        Father, bless!

        Thank you, Fr. John.  I'm glad to know that I wasn't hallucinating.

        *                                            ----|---- *
        * St. Jonah of Manchuria Orthodox Mission        |     *
        * Serving the Spring, Woodlands,                \|     *
        * and Conroe, Texas area.                        |\    *
        * http://www.saintjonah.org/                 NI  |  KA *

      • Stephen Reynolds
        Message 3 of 11 , Jul 4, 2001
          --

          On Wed, 04 Jul 2001 03:22:38
          Natalia Carol Mulligan wrote:

          >So let me just restate this -- please bear with me -- if I set the Kontakion to "O Protection of Christians that cannot be put to shame", just like what we sing in the Liturgy after all the Troparia and Kontakia, then I would not be wrong in doing so?
          >
          >--- In ustav@y..., "Isaac E. Lambertsen" <ilector@a...> wrote:
          >> Dear Ms. Mulligan,
          >>
          >> I just now checked my Slavonic Typicon. The Tonal designation in the SJKP Menaion is correct--Tone VI. The special melody indicated is "Predstatel'stvo", which, I presume, refers to the default theotokion used to end up the series of troparia/kontakia at liturgy ("O unashamed protection of Christian...")
          >>
          >> Hope this helps.
          >>
          >> Sincerely,
          >>
          >> Isaac Lambertsen.

          Dear Natasha,

          Yes, I think that what you propose will be fine. This is an unusual special melody; Gardner does not have it in his quite extensive list, and so far I have found it prescribed only for the Kontakion of St Febronia. It is 'Prostasia twn Christianwn' in Greek, cited either as 'Predstatel'stvo' or 'Zastupnice' in Slavonic. The Greek has the same metrical structure as 'Cheirographon eikona'/ Rukopisannago obraza', which has at least more podobny than I have found for the one in question here; they may be alternative automela for the same set of prosomia, but the question needs further research. Meanwhile I think you can go ahead and use the melody for 'Protection of Christians.'

          Stephen Reynolds>>

          Get 250 color business cards for FREE!