Re: [ustav] Vladika John service addenda

  • Isaac E. Lambertsen
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
      Dear Eugenia,

      You chanted the correct theotokion after the troparion following the Great
      Doxology. For a vigil service that coincides with Friday night/Saturday
      morning the Typicon specifies the resurrectional theotokion in the tone of
      the week instead of the tone of the saint's troparion. Direct your "old
      timer" to chapter 15 of the Typicon.

      Yes, ". ..Who art wondrous in Thy saints..." is the phrase used in "O come,
      let us worship..." at Liturgy on ordinary weekdays and Saturdays. It may be
      interesting to you that during a hierarchal liturgy on Sunday when a saint
      of polyeleos or vigil rank coincides with that day, as the bishop and clergy
      move from the middle of the church into the sanctuary, they chant first
      "...Who art risen from the dead...", but the next time they chant "...Who
      art wondrous in Thy saints..."

      Hope this proves useful.

      Sincerely,

      Isaac

      ----------
      >From: Romanhood2@...

      > And, one more question: At Matins, we chanted the troparion to the saint
      > twice and then Glory/Both now: the Resurrectional Theotokion in tone 2 ("Vsya
      > pache smysla"), as Peter directed. Then, after the Great Doxology, we again
      > chanted the saint's troparion, glory/both now, and again the Resurrectional
      > Theotokion in tone 2 (of the week). We chanted "Vsya pache smysla" again.
      > Did I choose the wrong Theotokion in this instance? An "old timer" on the
      > kliros hissed at me, saying that I should have used a tone 5 Theotokion in
      > both cases (to "match" the saint's troparion). Please advise. And, if this
      > was the correct Theotokion usage, please help me give a better reason for it
      > than "because the ustav guys said so.."

      One more, "one more question":

      At Saturday Liturgy for Vladika Ioann, we chanted the "Priidite
      poklonimsya.."/"O come let us worship.." incorrectly, following the
      clergy entrance ("Malyi vhod"). We chanted: "Voskresyii iz
      mertvih"/"Who didst rise from the dead". What should it have been?
      "..Vo svyatikh diven syii.."/"who art wondrous in the Saints.."? Is
      this all-inclusive for any type of saint?
    • Ploverleigh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 2, 2001
        In a message dated 6/30/01 11:28:51 PM, Romanhood2@... writes:

        << What should it have been?
        "..Vo svyatikh diven syii.."/"who art wondrous in the Saints.."? Is
        this all-inclusive for any type of saint? >>

        General rule:

        Feasts of the Lord: basically the same as the second antiphon: O Son of God
        who

        Most Sundays: O Son of God who rose from the dead

        Feasts of the Theotokos: O Son of God, through the prayers of the
        Theotokos....(some say this is most Saturdays, too.)

        Liturgies for the departed (some uses): O Son of God, to whom we sing for the
        souls of the departed.....

        All other days: O Son of God, who are wonderful in Your saints.....