Re: Vladika John service addenda (cont.)

  • Romanhood2@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 30, 2001
      One more, "one more question":

      At Saturday Liturgy for Vladika Ioann, we chanted the "Priidite
      poklonimsya.."/"O come let us worship.." incorrectly, following the
      clergy entrance ("Malyi vhod"). We chanted: "Voskresyii iz
      mertvih"/"Who didst rise from the dead". What should it have been?
      "..Vo svyatikh diven syii.."/"who art wondrous in the Saints.."? Is
      this all-inclusive for any type of saint?

      Eugenia
    • Isaac E. Lambertsen
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1, 2001
        Dear Eugenia,

        You chanted the correct theotokion after the troparion following the Great
        Doxology. For a vigil service that coincides with Friday night/Saturday
        morning the Typicon specifies the resurrectional theotokion in the tone of
        the week instead of the tone of the saint's troparion. Direct your "old
        timer" to chapter 15 of the Typicon.

        Yes, ". ..Who art wondrous in Thy saints..." is the phrase used in "O come,
        let us worship..." at Liturgy on ordinary weekdays and Saturdays. It may be
        interesting to you that during a hierarchal liturgy on Sunday when a saint
        of polyeleos or vigil rank coincides with that day, as the bishop and clergy
        move from the middle of the church into the sanctuary, they chant first
        "...Who art risen from the dead...", but the next time they chant "...Who
        art wondrous in Thy saints..."

        Hope this proves useful.

        Sincerely,

        Isaac

        ----------

      • Ploverleigh@aol.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 2, 2001
          In a message dated 6/30/01 11:28:51 PM, Romanhood2@... writes:

          << What should it have been?
          "..Vo svyatikh diven syii.."/"who art wondrous in the Saints.."? Is
          this all-inclusive for any type of saint? >>

          General rule:

          Feasts of the Lord: basically the same as the second antiphon: O Son of God
          who

          Most Sundays: O Son of God who rose from the dead

          Feasts of the Theotokos: O Son of God, through the prayers of the
          Theotokos....(some say this is most Saturdays, too.)

          Liturgies for the departed (some uses): O Son of God, to whom we sing for the
          souls of the departed.....

          All other days: O Son of God, who are wonderful in Your saints.....