[ustav] Re: Paschal Hypakoe (was Choir Cues Sunday of Ort)

  • FrJohnM@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 2, 1999
      It is interestingly theory. I am not sure that it is historically valid as it
      seems unlikely to me that the omission of the word "plagal" would be universal
      and thus reflected in all the Greek texts. The Byzantine tradition is, of
      course, more older than the Russian, and thus it seems to me would reflect
      (more probably) the more ancient tonal system.

      As a further reflection, I have always thought that some of the reason for the
      difference between tones in the Russian and Byzantine has something to do with
      the way tones are sung in the Byzantine system. For example, tone 6 sung as a
      Troparion sounds like tone 2. For example, maybe this is why "Steadfast
      Protectress ..." is listed in tone 2 in the Byzantine books but as tone 6 in
      the Russian books.

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
    • Malcolm Jenner
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 2, 1999
        At 09:35 02/03/99 EST, you wrote:
        >It is interestingly theory. I am not sure that it is historically valid
        as it
        >seems unlikely to me that the omission of the word "plagal" would be
        universal
        >and thus reflected in all the Greek texts. The Byzantine tradition is, of
        >course, more older than the Russian, and thus it seems to me would reflect
        >(more probably) the more ancient tonal system.

        There are many points in which the Slavonic texts seem to represent an
        older tradition than the current printed Greek texts. If one looks, for
        example, at the Menaion for July 20-22 (and elsewhere), the Greek texts
        refer in a footnote to an alternative version to be found in the
        manuscripts. This alternative version seems to be just what is in the
        Slavonic texts.

        Archimandrite Kyril Jenner.

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav