Re: Lenten Vespers on Wed. & Fri.

  • millerr@cua.edu
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2 5:35 AM
      --- In ustav@y..., "Kenneth Doll" <kenneth.doll@t...> wrote:
      > What should one use for Aposticha verses on Wed. and Fri. in Great Lent
      > if the Presanctified is not served?
      > In general, how is the services modified?
      > In Christ,
      > Kenneth Doll

      Dear Kenneth,
      For this Friday, today, we sing "Lord, I cry..." in tone 3, the tone
      of the week, with six (6) stichera, three for the martyrs in the tone
      (see p.144 in the Lenten Triodion) and 3 for St. Theodore in tone 2
      (p. 273-4 of the Lenten Triodion). These begin as follows:
      "Come, all ye that love the martyrs...."
      "The God-given grace...."
      "O martyr Theodore..."
      "Glory to the Father...
      Tone 6: "Using as his tool...."
      "Now & ever...
      Dogmaticon of the week, tone 3

      At the Aposticha:
      Sticheron, tone 5, p.273 of Lenten Triodion.
      First weekday Aposticha Ps. verse; repeat sticheron, then the 2nd. Ps.
      verse. Then the martyricon in tone 5: "lessed is the army of the King
      of Heaven..." (This can be found at the Matins Aposticha for Monday in
      tone 5 in the Octoechos.).
      "Glory to the Father..."
      Tone 2: "O thrice-blessed Theodore...," p.274 in Lenten Triodion.
      "Now & ever...."
      Tone 2: "All my hope I place in thee, O Mother of God, preserve me by
      thy protection."

      Conclude Vespers as prescribed at the bottom of p.96 in the Lenten
      Triodion.

      These prescriptions for the "Lord, I cry..." & the Aposticha are as
      found in both the Slavonic Triodion & the Typikon.

      In Christ,
      Sergius