Sunday of Orthodoxy

  • opanak0051@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
      Greetings in Christ Fr. Milovan. Some ten years ago we had a pan
      orthodox service in Brisbane, which lasted for a number of years
      under Fr. Nikola Bilic. Each year we roated to the different
      churches. We, being Serbian Orthodox, were with the Greek Orthodox,
      the Antiochians, the Romanian Orthodox,and the OCA church. We had a
      procession around the church with the various icons. We had supper
      after the service. It would be nice to start again, but maybe with
      the 4 Serbian orthodox churches, as it would be good for the healing
      process. Yours in Christ, Ljubica from Brisbane Australia.
    • Frmilovan@aol.com
      Message 2 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
        Thanks for the reply Ljubica,

        My contact in Australia is a Fr. Bojan Popov in Wodonga. He would like
        something like this.

        If you speak Serbian you're welcome to join us on Svetosavlje@yahoogroups.com.

        Fr. Milovan
      • opanak0051@yahoo.com.au
        Message 3 of 14 , Mar 2, 2001
          Greetings Fr. Milovan, I know Father Bojan, and I will contact him. I
          am registered on the Svetosavlje site, and have been for quite some
          time. Yours in Christ. Ljubica
        • stephanlh
          Message 4 of 14 , Mar 26, 2005
            I went to the Sunday of Orthodoxy vespers at the local Greek church,
            but I am not so sure if it was the real thing. I somehow doubt it,
            but I do not know the ustav well enough to say. Can someone direct me
            to a translation of the complete Sunday of Orthodoxy service? I have
            a triodion, but there is no specific texts. I remember seeing
            something somewhere and there were a number of anathemas which were
            not to be found at the Greek church. Also the service was very sloppy
            which makes me even more suspicious. Thanks...Stephan in Ottawa
          • Fr. Joseph Frawley
            Message 5 of 14 , Mar 26, 2005
              There is a complete translation of the Synodikon of Orthodoxy in one of the more recent issues of "The True Vine," published by Holy Transfiguration Monastery in Brookline, MA.

              Try thehtm.org for more information

            • James Morgan
              Message 6 of 14 , Mar 26, 2005
                Dear Stephen:

                Sorry you did not appreciate the service. One of my worst liturgical
                moments was about 15 years ago when I attended a"Pan-Orthodox" Sunday
                evening vespers at one of our local churches in Lost Angels, California.
                There were a number of priests from various jurisdictions serving together
                (and they had not evidently even met socially before). The choir was in the
                balcony with a hammond organ and had not been clued in as to the content of
                the service. A priest sang out the beginning of the great litany and
                suddenly the electronic organ boomed out, and then the choir sang Lord have
                mercy, and it got worse from there on. None of the clergy seemed to know
                when they were supposed to sing, say, or end anything. The deacon, who was
                nominally in charge, said to me afterward: I hope I never have to do
                anything like that again! The preacher was a newly ordained priest from the
                EOM and he did what he was trained to do by Christian Crusaders: gave
                basically an altar call. Nothing about Orthodoxy, nothing about Icons. Left
                all the congregation very confused as to what kind of church they were in.
                And there were no anathemas either. Just to show you that things CAN get
                worse.

                Rdr. James
                Olympia, WA

                Message 7 of 14 , Mar 26, 2005
                  I think that only when a Bishop is present that "anathemas" can be sung.
                  Otherwise no.
                  Fr. Seraphim

                  I went to the Sunday of Orthodoxy vespers at the local Greek church,
                  but I am not so sure if it was the real thing. I somehow doubt it,
                  but I do not know the ustav well enough to say. Can someone direct me
                  to a translation of the complete Sunday of Orthodoxy service? I have
                  a triodion, but there is no specific texts. I remember seeing
                  something somewhere and there were a number of anathemas which were
                  not to be found at the Greek church. Also the service was very sloppy
                  which makes me even more suspicious. Thanks...Stephan in Ottawa

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Fr. Christopher Swanson
                  Message 8 of 14 , Mar 27, 2005
                    That is certainly the Russian practice. I'm sure about the Greeks.

                    Fr. Christopher

                    I think that only when a Bishop is present that "anathemas" can be sung.
                    Otherwise no.
                    Fr. Seraphim

                    I went to the Sunday of Orthodoxy vespers at the local Greek church,
                    but I am not so sure if it was the real thing. I somehow doubt it,
                    but I do not know the ustav well enough to say. Can someone direct me
                    to a translation of the complete Sunday of Orthodoxy service? I have
                    a triodion, but there is no specific texts. I remember seeing
                    something somewhere and there were a number of anathemas which were
                    not to be found at the Greek church. Also the service was very sloppy
                    which makes me even more suspicious. Thanks...Stephan in Ottawa

                    Yahoo! Groups Links

                    Yahoo! Groups Links
                  • Reader Timothy Tadros
                    Message 9 of 14 , Mar 27, 2005
                      The New Calendar Greeks don't recite or announce the anthemas
                      in Church anymore it's ecumenically offensive!

                      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, "Fr. Christopher Swanson"

                    • russianhackerz5
                      Message 10 of 14 , Feb 21, 2010
                        I just watched the Sunday of Orthodoxy service from Moscow, served by the Patriarch (http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/1098686.html) and noted that the anathemas are not said. My understanding is that the anathemas were omitted in Soviet times. Is this true? What is the justification for their omission today? Does the ROCOR include the anathemas in the service? Finally, does anyone know if the order of Orthodoxy with (or without) the anathemas is used by any of the other local churches?

                        Thanks,

                        Aleks Andreev
                      • Alex Primak
                        Message 11 of 14 , Feb 21, 2010
                          I got this link for the service in Jordanville from the multimedia page of the ROCOR website (towards the bottom). I don't remember what year, but judging from the file name it's probably from '07:

                          http://ekallaur.com/deacon/music/jvanafima_07.mp3

                          I also remember that they used to have a link for the anathema service in SF, but that's not there any more. I doubt that Jordanville and SF are isolated cases, so I think it's safe to assume that the anathemas are not omitted by most if not all ROCOR bishops.

                          Alex Primak

                          To: ustav@yahoogroups.com
                          From: aleksandr.andreev@...
                          Date: Mon, 22 Feb 2010 02:51:41 +0000

                          I just watched the Sunday of Orthodoxy service from Moscow, served by the Patriarch (http://www.patriarchia.ru/db/text/1098686.html) and noted that the anathemas are not said. My understanding is that the anathemas were omitted in Soviet times. Is this true? What is the justification for their omission today? Does the ROCOR include the anathemas in the service? Finally, does anyone know if the order of Orthodoxy with (or without) the anathemas is used by any of the other local churches?

                          Thanks,

                          Aleks Andreev

                        • Hierodeacon Vasyl JANICK
                          Message 12 of 14 , Feb 22, 2010
                            HOCNA (Holy Transfiguration Monastery - Boston), does use the anathemas and
                            includes one for ecumenism.

                            --
                            The unworthy
                            Hierodeacon, Vasyl