Re: [ustav] Septuagint / Septuagint with Apocrypha

  • Expanding Edge LLC
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 28, 2001
      Blessed be God.

      Philip Silouan Thompson wrote:

      > Sir Lancelot Brenton's edition is pretty inexpensive and easily available.
      > http://www.myriobiblos.gr/bible/
      > A searchable version is online at http://www.blueletterbible.org/
      > Septuagint page, at http://arts-sciences.cua.edu/ecs/jdk/LXX/index.htm

      Another new translation is becoming available; you can read about it at
      http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/nets/

      The Psalms are already published; the paperback ed. is about $12.00 as I
      recall. It's based on the NRSV as far as language goes, and has some
      interesting comments in the preface about translating the LXX. I find
      the translation takes a little getting used to, but that's really
      because the LXX itself is sorta strange, and this is a direct
      translation into modern English. We usually protect ourselves from this
      by using archaicisms and other devices that have the effect of masking
      what is really being said in the LXX's oddball (i.e., heavily accented)
      Greek.

      Symeon wrote,

      > It's not clear to me how much Hebrew expertise there is in the group.
      > Yes, the main thrust is translating the LXX, but I would think the
      > goal should be an "Orthodox Christian Old Testament" rather than an
      > "LXX Translation." A subtle point, perhaps; but see the "LXX /
      > Hebrew" thread for arguments in favor of the MT. At any rate, the MT
      > should not be ignored: the LXX should not be used as a marketing
      > gimmick for a new Bible, and even the name "lxx.org" suggests
      > that "Septuagint" supersedes "Old Testament" in the packaging of the
      > project.

      What "LXX/Hebrew" thread would that be? This is a subject that interests
      me, as a student of the Hebrew text-- please let me know where I can see
      this. Or are you referring to previous threads here?

      On the topic of LXX vs. MT, I don't think you can justly oppose them, or
      call one of them superior to the other. They're just different. Most of
      our Orthodox ancestors didn't use the MT because they didn't have the
      opportunity-- but the more one studies the MT, the more one realizes
      what was lost in translation. Can't avoid that, but it's true: the LXX
      is missing many of the features of the original. Yet it does, at times,
      attest to a different original, and since we mostly don't have that
      original, it is valuable as an "original" in its own right-- apart, of
      course, from its hallowed integration into our liturgy and literature.

      "All things are yours", St. Paul wrote. The LXX and the MT would be two
      of those things. I suggest getting as familiar as possible with both.

      Regards,

      John Burnett