Re: [ustav] Children's Sermons

  • orthodixie@aol.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 2001
      Fr Seraphim von Abele (?) writes:

      > Could any clergy on the list comment on the propriety of "children's
      > sermons," i.e. sermons addressed especially to children? Is it a sound
      thing
      > from an Orthodox perspective? If any priests have done it, could they give
      > some pointers?

      I believe it works best when the homily begins as a children's sermon and
      "graduates" toward adult level. At least, this seems to work best for our
      community. (As usually happens, the adults seem to gain more from the "kid
      part.")

      I used to have the youth gather toward the ambo ... then, remain there
      through the "graduation." Problem: kids can get distractingly restless.
      Over time, I decided it best that they stay within reach of their parents and
      Godparents.

      I still begin on an elementary level and progress (debatable, for some, I'm
      sure) to higher ground. But, all things considered, I no longer consider a
      portion of the message to be a "children's sermon" -- nor do they gather
      together toward the front of the church.

      Just my experience. Hope this helps.

      Fr Joseph Huneycutt
      St Nicholas Church (ROCOR)
      Fletcher, NC