Choir Cues: Publican and Pharisee 22 January / 4 February 2001

  • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 1, 2001
      DISCLAIMER: Please review these materials for typos and just plain
      old mistakes! My spell-checker won't catch some words that are
      misusages (like bare for bear).

      The Liturgical Calendar (St. John of Kronstadt Press) specifies a
      Special service for this day (Service to the New Martyrs of Russia
      combined with the service from the Triodion).

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint or to the Lord. If your temple is dedicated to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have any comments or questions, please contact me.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click the "Reply to All"
      button to ensure all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections
      in a timely fashion! :-)

      With Love In Christ,
      Elizabeth Riggs, the sinner
      ewriggs@...

      22 January / 4 February 2001
      Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee
      (Tone 8)
      2 Timothy 3:1015 Luke 18:1014
      NewMartyrs and Confessors of Russia
      Archbishop Timothy of the Seventy; Monkmartyr Anastasius the
      Persian; Martyrs Manuel and Parodus, presbyters, and 377 companions
      in Bulgaria; Martyr Anastasius the deacon of the Kiev Caves; St.
      Macarius, abbot of Zhabyn; St. Wendreda, virgin of March; [Greek
      Calendar: St. Joseph Samakus the Sanctified of Crete; St. Berthwald,
      bishop of Ramsbury; Bishop Ioasaph, Enlightener of Alaska and the
      American Land].

      Reader & Choir Cues

      Hours: 3rd Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory; Of the Martyrs
      Kontakion: of the Publican and the Pharisee

      6th Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory; Of the Martyrs
      Kontakion: of the Martyrs

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)

      12 Troparia: 4 from Sunday Octoechos; 4 from Ode III of the Canon for
      the Publican and the Pharisee; 4 special Troparia from the Menaion
      service for the Martyrs

      Remember us, O Christ, Thou Saviour of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve for he who of old stripped you
      both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been
      set at naught by the Cross of Christ.

      Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Saviour, Thou didst
      deliver Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast
      rewarded that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in
      that Thou art compassionate.

      Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all
      the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women
      after His suffering and resurrection!

      From the dunghill of the passions the humble is lifted up on high,
      while the proudhearted suffers a grievous fall from the height of the
      virtues: let us flee from his evil ways.

      Vainglory brings to nothing the riches of righteousness, but humility
      scatters a multitude of passions. Grant then that we may seek
      humility, O Saviour, and do Thou bestow upon us the portion of the
      Publican.

      As the Publican let us also beat our breasts and cry out in
      compunction, 'God be merciful unto us sinners,' that like him we may
      receive forgiveness.

      O ye faithful, let us increase in zeal and meekness, and let us pass
      our days in humility, with cries of sorrow from our heart and weeping
      and prayer, that we may receive forgiveness from God.

      Remember, O Lord, the dreadful torments which the new passion-bearers
      suffered for Thee, who have now sprouted forth from our race; and
      accept their entreaties for our salvation.

      O righteous Judge, thou hast opened the kingdom of heaven unto the
      confessors of the Church of Russia. Hearken, O Lord, unto their
      righteousness, and give ear unto their supplication for the Salvation
      of our souls

      O most divine Trinity, return us from our captivity! We know that sin
      hath increased in our land more than ever before; yet grace also hath
      shone forth in the struggle of the new saints, who also entreat Thee,
      O thrice-holy God, for the salvation of our souls!

      Gather the dispersed; raise up the faint-hearted; call them that have
      renounced the holy Faith and convert them, O gracious and all-pure
      Virgin Mary, entreating Christ the Saviour, with the holy new martyrs
      and confessors, for the forgiveness and salvation of our souls.

      Troparion for the Resurrection
      (Tone 8)Thou didst descend from on high, O Compassionate One, ; and
      didst accept a three-day burial, / that thou mightest free us from
      the passions. // O Lord, our life and resurrection, glory be to Thee!

      Troparion of the Martyrs
      (Tone 4)
      O ye holy hierarchs, royal passion-bearers and pastors, monks and
      laymen, ye countless new martyrs and confessors, men, women and
      children, flowers of the spiritual meadow of Russia, who blossomed
      forth wondrously in time of grievous persecutions, bearing good fruit
      for Christ in your endurance: entreat Him as the One Who planted you,
      that He deliver His people from godless and evil men, and that the
      Church of Russia be made steadfast through your blood and suffering,
      unto the salvation of our souls.

      Glory . . .

      Kontakion of the Martyrs
      (Tone 2)
      O ye new passion-bearers of Russia, who have with your confession
      finished the course of this earth, receiving boldness through your
      sufferings: beseech Christ Who strengthened you, that we also,
      whenever the hour of tr4ial find us, may receive the gift of courage
      from God. For ye are a model for us that venerate your struggle, for
      neither tribulation, prison, nor death could separate you from the
      love of God.

      Both now and ever . . .

      Kontakion of the Publican and Pharisee
      (Tone 4)
      Let us flee from the proud speaking of the Pharisee / and learn the
      humility of the Publican, / and with groaning let us cry unto the
      Saviour: / Be merciful to us, // for Thou alone are ready to
      forgive.

      The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone

      Make your vows and pay them // to the Lord our God. (Ps. 75:10)

      Vs. In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel. (Ps. 75:1)

      And in the 7th Tone

      For thy sake, O Lord, we are slain all the day long.

      Epistle: (II Timothy 3:1015; Romans 8:2839)

      Brethren: But thou hast fully known my doctrine, manner of life,
      purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity, patience, Persecutions,
      afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch, at Iconium, at Lystra;
      what persecutions I endured: but out of them all the Lord delivered
      me. Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer
      persecution. But evil men and seducers shall wax worse and worse,
      deceiving, and being deceived. But continue thou in the things which
      thou hast learned and hast been assured of, knowing of whom thou hast
      learned them; And that from a child thou hast known the holy
      scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through
      faith which is in Christ Jesus.

      Brethren: And we know that all things work together for good to them
      that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose.
      For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to
      the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many
      brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he also called: and
      whom he called, them he also justified: and whom he justified, them
      he also glorified. What shall we then say to these things? If God be
      for us, who can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but
      delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him also freely
      give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to the charge of God's
      elect? It is God that justifieth. Who is he that condemneth? It is
      Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen again, who is even at the
      right hand of God, who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall
      separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress,
      or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is
      written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are
      accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are
      more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded,
      that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor
      powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor
      depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the
      love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

      The Alleluia in the 8th Tone
      (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let us shout with jubilation unto
      God our Saviour. (Ps. 94:1)

      Vs. Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and with
      psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him. (Ps. 94:2)

      And in the 6th Tone

      The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them, and He delivered them
      out of all their
      afflictions.

      Gospel (Luke 18:1014)

      At that time, Two men went up into the temple to pray; the one a
      Pharisee, and the other a publican. The Pharisee stood and prayed
      thus with himself, God, I thank thee, that I am not as other men are,
      extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this publican. I fast
      twice in the week, I give tithes of all that I possess. And the
      publican, standing afar off, would not lift up so much as his eyes
      unto heaven, but smote upon his breast, saying, God be merciful to me
      a sinner. I tell you, this man went down to his house justified
      rather than the other: for every one that exalteth himself shall be
      abased; and he that humbleth himself shall be exalted.

      The Lord said, before all these, they shall lay their hands on you,
      and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues, and into
      prisons, being brought before kings and rulers for my name's sake.
      And it shall turn to you for a testimony. Settle it therefore in your
      hearts, not to meditate before what ye shall answer: For I will give
      you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries shall not be able
      to gainsay nor resist. And ye shall be betrayed both by parents, and
      brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends; and some of you shall they
      cause to be put to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my
      name's sake. But there shall not an hair of your head perish. In your
      patience possess ye your souls. And when ye shall see Jerusalem
      compassed with armies, then know that the desolation thereof is nigh.
      Then let them which are in Judaea flee to the mountains; and let them
      which are in the midst of it depart out; and let not them that are in
      the countries enter thereinto. For these be the days of vengeance,
      that all things which are written may be fulfilled. But woe unto them
      that are with child, and to them that give suck, in those days! for
      there shall be great distress in the land, and wrath upon this
      people. And they shall fall by the edge of the sword, and shall be
      led away captive into all nations: and Jerusalem shall be trodden
      down of the Gentiles, until the times of the Gentiles be fulfilled.
      And there shall be signs in the sun, and in the moon, and in the
      stars; and upon the earth distress of nations, with perplexity; the
      sea and the waves roaring; Men's hearts failing them for fear, and
      for looking after those things which are coming on the earth: for the
      powers of heaven shall be shaken. And then shall they see the Son of
      man coming in a cloud with power and great glory. And when these
      things begin to come to pass, then look up, and lift up your heads;
      for your redemption draweth nigh. And he spake to them a parable;
      Behold the fig tree, and all the trees;

      Communion verse

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest. (Ps.
      148:1)

      Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright

      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

      Optional at the Communion of the Clergy:

      Open to Me the Doors of Repentance

      Psalm 33

      Dismissal