Re: [ustav] a Christmas present - for the Nativity Vigil - the Lesser Doxology in pdf format

  • chantermt@aol.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
      In a message dated Wed, 3 Jan 2001 5:53:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Fr
      Seraphim von Abele" <frseraphim@...> writes:

      It's my understanding that, strictly speaking, the "Lesser Doxology" is
      "Glory... now and ever...", and the Great Doxology, whether read or sung, is
      "Glory to God in the Highest..."

      Christ is born! Glorify Him!

      In the Western Churches, the "lesser doxology" is indeed the "glory to the
      Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, Both now and ever and forever.
      Amen."
      The "greater doxology" is the "Gloria in excelsis Deo," which is used in the
      Mass.

      In Byzantine usage, the Lesser and Greater Doxology refers to the different
      versions of the same text "Glory be to God in the highest," one of which is
      used on feasts and one on days of lesser rank.

      In the Great Russian tradition, my understanding is that the Lesser Doxology
      is usually chanted by the reader, whereas the Greater Doxology is sung "with
      melody."

      J. Michael Thompson
      Chicago, IL
    • Spence
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 3, 2001
        I'm certainly no expert, but the book I have available (the Nativity book
        from SJKP) shows this text at the start of the Six Psalms with the
        footnote, "May also be chanted." Not being one to look a gifthorse in the
        mouth (and also because this arrangement is very pretty), we will attempt
        to get this prepared by Saturday night.

        Now, my question is, are there other times that this can be sung?

        Mary Spence
        St. Mary of Egypt, Atlanta, GA (ROCOR)

        At 07:14 PM 1/3/01, you wrote:
        >In a message dated Wed, 3 Jan 2001 5:53:03 PM Eastern Standard Time, "Fr
        >Seraphim von Abele" <frseraphim@...> writes:
        >
        >It's my understanding that, strictly speaking, the "Lesser Doxology" is
        >"Glory... now and ever...", and the Great Doxology, whether read or sung, is
        >"Glory to God in the Highest..."
        >
        >Christ is born! Glorify Him!
        >
        >In the Western Churches, the "lesser doxology" is indeed the "glory to the
        >Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit, Both now and ever and forever.
        >Amen."
        >The "greater doxology" is the "Gloria in excelsis Deo," which is used in the
        >Mass.
        >
        >In Byzantine usage, the Lesser and Greater Doxology refers to the different
        >versions of the same text "Glory be to God in the highest," one of which is
        >used on feasts and one on days of lesser rank.
        >
        >In the Great Russian tradition, my understanding is that the Lesser Doxology
        >is usually chanted by the reader, whereas the Greater Doxology is sung "with
        >melody."
        >
        >J. Michael Thompson
        >Chicago, IL
        >
        >To unsubscribe from Ustav, send a blank message to:
        >DO NOT SEND A REQUEST TO THE LIST!
        >
        >Ustav information: http://www.orthodox.net/ustav
        >
        >Archives: http://www.egroups.com/group/ustav
      • Subdeacon Sergius Miller
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
          --- In ustav@egroups.com, Janet M Damian <damianj@j...> wrote:
          > I hate to nit pick, but isn't the lesser doxology always read? or am I
          > misinformed?
          >
          > janet.

          Yes, Janet, you're correct. BUT, as Fr. Vsevolod pointed out when we
          had this discussion about a year ago & as the Reader Isaac has just
          noted, it is also usual to call the verses before the Six Psalms the
          "Lesser Doxology." Note that the Lesser Doxology to which you were
          referring, that done at Compline & at non-festal Matins, is also
          referred to as the "Small Doxology" and is never sung.

          In Christ,
          Sergius
        • Cindy K Williams
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 4, 2001
            Has anyone else had trouble downloading this music? I haven't even been
            able to look at it -- went to do so, but was informed that I'm not a
            member of "orthodoxpsalm". Any help would be appreciated.
            In Christ,
            (Mat.)Cindy Williams
            GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO!
            http://dl.www.juno.com/get/tagj.