Re: [ustav] Re: Tell me why? series -- Friday Kathismas

  • Isaac E. Lambertsen
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 10, 2000
      Dear Photini,

      AS others have pointed out, Psalm 151 DOES appear in the HTM (Boston)
      translation of the Septuagint Psalter, specifically on page 261. However,
      while they provide the text, they curiously do not assign it any number.
      Strange that you can have overlooked it.

      Sincerely,

      Isaac Lambertsen.

      ----------
      >From: "Photini Henderson" <mhen_derson@...>

      > Any clue why this was not included in the HTM translation -- is there
      > some controversy that makes this psalm apocryphal or marginal?

      > Photini
    • Photini Henderson
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 11, 2000
        > Strange that you can have overlooked it.

        No kidding -- I snap a rubber band to delineate the days' kathismas,
        and just never get beyond a certain point. So long ago since it was
        new to me when I read and reread every word of the intro and
        translator's notes, and the chart in the back, and memorized the
        various endings, I'd forgotten what all is in there. Thanks, all.

        In Christ,

        Photini
      • Ploverleigh@aol.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 12, 2000
          In a message dated 10/7/00 9:46:56 PM, mhen_derson@... writes:

          << One other thing, since we're speaking of the Psalms -- the translation
          of the Old Testament brought up some questions -- and I was the
          recipient of a note that stated here was a Psalm 151 in the Slavic
          Psalter -- is that a division of a Psalm or an actual extra Psalm.

          In Christ,

          Photini >>

          This is in the LXX and hence the Greek the Russian Liturgical Orthodox
          psalter, but not in the Hebrew.

          This psalm seems to be accepted among the Ethiopians as canonical.
          Furthermore, they have a fragment of Psalm 152.

          See the Oxford Annoted RSV or NRSV--complete edition--for these texts.

          Ploverleigh