[ustav] Re: Choir Cues: Prodigal Son AND

  • Fekula, Peter
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5 4:54 PM
      First a couple of points on what is rapidly becoming my favorite topic --
      introductory phrases to Epistle and Gospel readings.

      For the Sunday of the Prodigal Son/New Martyrs --

      In the second Epistle reading, from Romans, there is no need to keep the
      "and" at the opening, simply: "Brethren, we know that all things work
      together..." These readings have been selected and are to be seen as
      discrete, stand-alone lessons for a particular day or commemoration. The
      "incipits" are worded in a way that avoids their coming across as exerpts of
      longer passages.

      The first Gospel reading, from Luke, is a parable, and so should begin, "The
      Lord told this parable: A certain man had two sons:..."

      The second Gospel reading is from chapter 21 in Luke, not chapter 22, and
      should begin: "The Lord said (un)to his disciples: Pay ye heed that people
      shall lay their hands on you..." Perhaps someone else might have a
      different translation for the beginning. In Slavonic it is rendered:
      "Reche Gospod' Svoim uchenikom, vnemlitye ot chelovek yazhe vozlozhat na vy
      rutse..."

      For Meatfare Sunday --

      In the Epistle reading, from First Corinthians, there is no need to keep the
      "but" at the opening, simply: "Brethren, meat commendeth us not to God:..."

      The Gospel reading is an extract from a longer monologue by Christ, and so
      should begin simply, "The Lord said: When the Son of Man..."

      Regarding the Alleluia verses prior to the Gospel reading, the direction to
      pause between the Alleluia and the 1st psalm verse is a bit confusing. For
      the Sunday of the Prodigal Son/New Martyrs the order is as follows:

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.
      DEACON (OR PRIEST): WISDOM (you'd left this out)
      Reader: "Alleluia in the 2nd Tone." Then immediately: "The Lord hear thee
      in the day of affliction; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee." (Ps.
      19:1)
      Choir: Alleluia 3X in Tone 2
      Reader: Vs/ "O Lord, save the king, and hearken unto us in the day when we
      call upon Thee. "(Ps. 19:9)
      Choir: Alleluia 3X in Tone 2
      Reader: "In the 4th Tone: The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them,
      and He delivered them out of all their afflictions."
      Choir: Alleluia 3X in Tone 4.

      This is the order of chanting Alleluia when there are three verses -- i.e.,
      when there are two commemorations (most often two verses for Sunday, one for
      the Saint of the day, when such has readings, or two for Sunday, one for a
      major feast of the Theotokos, etc.).

      For Meatfare Sunday:

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.
      Deacon (or Priest): Wisdom
      Reader: "Alleluia in the 3rd Tone." STOP
      Choir: Alleluia 3X in Tone 3
      Reader: "In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me not be put to shame in the
      age to come." (Ps. 30:1)
      Choir: Alleluia 3X in Tone 3
      Reader: Vs/ "Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to
      save me." (Ps. 30:2)
      Choir: Alleluia 3X in Tone 3.

      This is the order for chanting Alleluia when there are but two verses --
      when there is one commemoration only (just Sunday or other day of the week,
      or just a major feast or Vigil-rank saint).

      Also, I don't have a Lenten Triodion handy, and am curious as to why, in the
      Beatitudes for the Sunday of the Prodigal Son, at Glory, you give the
      troparion text from the 9th ode. This seems wrong.

      Finally, I don't have a copy of the service to the New Martyrs at work,
      either, but I seem to recall that there were special verses composed
      expressly for the Beatitudes, which can be found in the Liturgy section of
      the service book. Someone should check this out. If I'm wrong, and there
      are no special verses, then your direction to use the troparia from Ode 3 of
      the Canon to the New Martyrs is correct.

      Have a good weekend.

      Peter Fekula
      ----------
      From: ustav

      25 January / 7 February 1999

      SUNDAY OF THE PRODIGAL SON
      (Tone 2)
      I Corinthians 6:12-20 Luke 15:11-32
      The New-Martyrs and Confessors of Russia
      Romans 8:28-39 Luke 21:12-19
      St. Gregory the Theologian, archbishop of
      Constantinople
      1 Corinthians 12:7-11 John 10:9-16
      St. Publius, ascetic of Syria; St. Mares the singer of
      Syria; Martyrs Felicitas of Rome and seven sons:
      Januarius, Felix, Philip, Silvanus, Alexander, Vitalis,
      and Martial; St. Moses, archbishop of Novgorod; St.
      Castinus, bishop of Byzantium; St. Demetrius
      Skevophylax ("keeper of the sacred vessels") of
      Constantinople; New Hieromartyr Vladimir, metropolitan
      of Kiev (1918), protohieromartyr of the Communist
      Yoke; St. Dwy, virgin of Llandwyn; St. Anatole the
      elder of Optina (1894); Martyr Medula and her
      companions; St. Apollo of Thebes, monk; Icons of the
      Most Holy Theotokos "Assuage My Sorrow" and
      "Unexpected Joy".

      Reader and Choir Cues

      Hours: 3rd Hr: Troparia: Resurrection;
      Glory . . . Troparion for the Royal Martyrs
      Kontakion: for The Royal Martyrs
      6th Hr: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory . . .
      Troparion for The Royal Martyrs
      Kontakion: for The Prodigal Son

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechoes ; 4 from Ode 3 of
      the Canon for the Royal Martyrs; 4 from Ode 6 of the
      Canon for the Prodigal Son

      In Thy Kingdom remember us, O Lord, when Thou
      comest in Thy Kingdom.

      Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the
      Kingdom of heaven.

      We offer Thee the voice of the thief and cry aloud to
      Thee: Remember us, O Saviour in Thy Kingdom.

      Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be
      comforted.

      We bring Thee the Cross for the forgiveness of offenses.
      For us hast Thou accepted it, O Lover of mankind.

      Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

      We venerate, O Master, Thy tomb and Thy rising,
      through which Thou hast delivered the world from
      corruption, O Lover of Mankind.

      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after
      righteousness, for they shall be filled.

      What manner of gift of discourse shall we offer unto
      you, O faithful witnesses of the Word, valiant
      passion-bearers and pastors, who were reckoned like
      lambs for the slaughter?

      Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain mercy.

      It was fitting for thee, O Vladimir, first hierarch of the
      Church of Russia, namesake of the holy enlightener of
      Rus', to initiate the glorious contest of struggle and
      sufferings. As thou dost precede the host of
      passion-bearers crowned by God, may the first crown of
      praise be bestowed upon thee.

      Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

      Amid the valorous array we behold thee, O sacred one,
      first hierarch of the city of St. Peer, holy hierarch
      Benjamin, beloved of thy flock as thy namesake, the
      patriarch of old, was beloved of Jacob.

      Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called
      the sons of God.

      Thou art shown to be first in the rank of the new
      martyred priests, O presbyter John, who first stood
      before the throne of God in America. For the Lord
      crowned thee with a martyr's crown as the denouncer of
      the cruel godless ones in Tsarskoe Selo, as He did
      another John, the namesake of rapture, who was
      wondrous in manliness and word before the tormentors.
      With the, O all ye new martyred priests, grant us aid.

      Blessed are they that are persecuted for
      righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of
      heaven.

      The depth of sin ever holds me fast, and the tempest of
      transgressions overwhelms me. Pilot me, O Christ my
      God, to the haven of life and save me, King of glory.

      Blessed are ye when men shall revile you, and
      persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil
      against you falsely, for My sake.

      I have wasted in evil living the riches which the father
      gave me, and now am brought to poverty. I am filled
      with shame and enslaved to fruitless thoughts. Therefore
      I cry to Thee who lovest mankind: Take pity on my and
      save me.

      Rejoice and be exceeding glad, for great is your
      reward in the heavens.

      I am wasted with hunger, deprived of every blessing, and
      an exile form Thy presence, O Christ, supreme in
      loving-kindness. Take pity on me as I now return and
      save me as I sing the praises of Thy love for mankind.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy
      Spirit.

      (From Ode 9) Behold, O Christ, the affliction of my
      heart; behold my turning back; behold my tears, O
      Saviour, and despise me not. But embrace me once again
      in thy compassion and count me with the multitude of the
      saved, that with thanksgiving I may sing the praises of
      Thy mercy.

      Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.
      Amen.

      Hail! Throne in the form of fire: Hail! unwedded
      Bride. Hail! to Thee O Virgin who hast brought forth
      God for man.

      Troparion of the Resurrection
      (Tone 2)
      When Thou didst descend unto death, O Life Immortal, /
      then didst Thou slay Hades with the lightning of Thy
      Divinity. / And when Thou didst also raise the dead out
      of the nethermost depths, / all the Hosts of the Heavens
      cried out: / O Life-giver, Christ our God, glory be to
      Thee.

      Troparion of the New Martyrs of Russia
      (Tone 4)
      O ye holy hierarchs, royal passion-bearers and pastors,
      monks and laymen, / ye countless new martyrs and
      confessors, men, women and children, / flowers of the
      spiritual meadow of Russia, / who blossomed forth
      wondrously in time of grievous persecutions, / bearing
      good fruit for Christ in your endurance: / entreat Him as
      the One Who planted you, / that he deliver His people
      from godless and evil men, / and that the church of
      Russia be made steadfast through your blood and
      suffering, // unto the salvation of our souls.

      Glory . . .

      Kontakion of the New Martyrs of Russia
      (Tone 2)
      O ye new passion-bearers of Russia, / who have with
      your confession finished the course of this earth, /
      receiving boldness through your sufferings; / beseech
      Christ Who strengthened you, / that we also, whenever
      the hour of trial find us, / may receive the gift of
      courage from God. / For ye are a model for us that
      venerate your struggle, / for neither tribulation, prison,
      nor death // could separate you from the love of God.

      Both now and ever . . .

      Kontakion of the Prodigal Son
      (Tone 3)
      Foolishly have I run away from Thy glory, O Father, /
      wasting in sin the wealth that Thou gavest me. /
      Therefore with the words of the Prodigal I cry unto
      Thee: / I have sinned before Thee, compassionate
      Father. / Accept me in repentance // and make me as one
      of Thy hired servants.

      The Prokeimenon in the 2nd Tone

      The Lord is my strength and my song, // and He is
      become my salvation. (Ps. 117:14)

      Vs/ With chastisement hath the Lord chastened me, but
      He hath not given me over unto death. (Ps. 117:18).

      And in the 7th Tone

      For Thy sake, O Lord, we are slain all the day long.

      Epistle: (1 Corinthians 6:12-20; Romans 8:28-39)

      Brethren: All things are lawful unto me, but all things
      are not expedient: all things are lawful for me, but I will
      not be brought under the power of any. Meats for the
      belly, and the belly for meats: but God shall destroy both
      it and them. Now the body is not for fornication, but for
      the Lord; and the Lord for the body. And God hath both
      raised up the Lord, and will also raise up us by his own
      power. Know ye not that your bodies are the members of
      Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and
      make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. What?
      know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one
      body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. But he that
      is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. Flee fornication.
      Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he
      that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body.
      What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the
      Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and
      ye are not your own? For ye are bought with a price:
      therefore glorify God in your body, and in your spirit,
      which are God's.

      Brethren: And we know that all things work together for
      good to them that love God, to them who are the called
      according to his purpose. For whom he did foreknow, he
      also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his
      Son, that he might be the firstborn among many
      brethren. Moreover whom he did predestinate, them he
      also called: and whom he called, them he also justified:
      and whom he justified, them he also glorified. What
      shall we then say to these things? If God be for us, who
      can be against us? He that spared not his own Son, but
      delivered him up for us all, how shall he not with him
      also freely give us all things? Who shall lay any thing to
      the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. Who
      is he that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather,
      that is risen again, who is even at the right hand of God,
      who also maketh intercession for us. Who shall
      separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or
      distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or
      peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are
      killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the
      slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than
      conquerors through him that loved us. For I am
      persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor
      principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things
      to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature,
      shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which
      is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

      Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      Reader: And to thy spirit.

      The Alleluia in the 2nd Tone
      (PAUSE between Alleluia and first verse)

      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

      The Lord hear thee in the day of affliction; the name of
      the God of Jacob defend thee. (Ps. 19:1)

      Vs/ O Lord, save the king, and hearken unto us in the
      day when we call upon Thee. (Ps. 19:9)

      And in the 4th Tone

      The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them, and He
      delivered them out of all their afflictions.

      Gospel: (Luke 15:11-32; Luke 22:12-19)

      At that time: And he said, A certain man had two sons:
      And the younger of them said to his father, Father, give
      me the portion of goods that falleth to me. And he
      divided unto them his living. And not many days after
      the younger son gathered all together, and took his
      journey into a far country, and there wasted his
      substance with riotous living. And when he had spent
      all, there arose a mighty famine in that land; and he
      began to be in want. And he went and joined himself to
      a citizen of that country; and he sent him into his fields
      to feed swine. And he would fain have filled his belly
      with the husks that the swine did eat: and no man gave
      unto him. And when he came to himself, he said, How
      many hired servants of my father's have bread enough
      and to spare, and I perish with hunger! I will arise and
      go to my father, and will say unto him, Father, I have
      sinned against heaven, and before thee, And am no
      more worthy to be called thy son: make me as one of thy
      hired servants. And he arose, and came to his father.
      But when he was yet a great way off, his father saw him,
      and had compassion, and ran, and fell on his neck, and
      kissed him. And the son said unto him, Father, I have
      sinned against heaven, and in thy sight, and am no more
      worthy to be called thy son. But the father said to his
      servants, Bring forth the best robe, and put it on him;
      and put a ring on his hand, and shoes on his feet: And
      bring hither the fatted calf, and kill it; and let us eat, and
      be merry: For this my son was dead, and is alive again;
      he was lost, and is found. And they began to be merry.
      Now his elder son was in the field: and as he came and
      drew nigh to the house, he heard music and dancing.
      And he called one of the servants, and asked what these
      things meant. And he said unto him, Thy brother is
      come; and thy father hath killed the fatted calf, because
      he hath received him safe and sound. And he was angry,
      and would not go in: therefore came his father out, and
      entreated him. And he answering said to his father, Lo,
      these many years do I serve thee, neither transgressed I
      at any time thy commandment: and yet thou never gavest
      me a kid, that I might make merry with my friends: But
      as soon as this thy son was come, which hath devoured
      thy living with harlots, thou hast killed for him the fatted
      calf. And he said unto him, Son, thou art ever with me,
      and all that I have is thine. It was meet that we should
      make merry, and be glad: for this thy brother was dead,
      and is alive again; and was lost, and is found.

      But before all these, they shall lay their hands on you,
      and persecute you, delivering you up to the synagogues,
      and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers
      for my name's sake. And it shall turn to you for a
      testimony. Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to
      meditate before what ye shall answer: For I will give
      you a mouth and wisdom, which all your adversaries
      shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. And ye shall be
      betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks,
      and friends; and some of you shall they cause to be put
      to death. And ye shall be hated of all men for my
      name's sake. But there shall not an hair of your head
      perish. In your patience possess ye your souls.

      Communion Verse

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise him in the highest.

      Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for
      the upright

      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

      - - -
      By the Waters of Babylon (optional)

      Open to Me the Doors of Repentance (optional)
      - - -

      Dismissal

      (Reverencing of Icon(s) and Kissing of Cross)

      Prayers of Thanksgiving

      1 / 14 February 1999

      Sunday of the Last Judgement (Meatfare)
      (Tone 3)
      I Corinthians 8:8-9:2 Matthew 25:31-46

      Forefeast of the Meeting

      Martyr Tryphon of Campsada near Apamea in Syria
      Romans 8:28-39 Luke 10:19-21

      Martyrs Perpetua, a woman of Carthage, and the
      catechumens Saturus, Revocatus, Saturninus, Secundulus,
      and Felicitas; St. Peter the Galatian, hermit near Antioch
      in Syria; St. Vendemianus (Bendemianus), hermit of
      Bithynia; St. Basil, archbishop of Thessalonica;
      New-Martyr Anastasius at Anaplus; St. Tryphon of
      Pechenga and Kola; St. Bridget of Ireland; New- Martyr
      priest Peter Skipetrov (1918); St. Seiriol, abbot of
      Anglesey; St. Timothy the Confessor; Martyrs Theonas,
      two children, and Karion; St. Euny, brother of St. Ia of
      Cornwall.

      Reader & Choir Cues

      Hours: 3rd Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; of
      the Forefeast
      Kontakion: of the Last
      Judgement
      6th Hour: Troparia: Resurrection; of
      the Forefeast
      Kontakion: of the Forefeast

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)

      12 Troparia: 4 from Sunday Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3
      of the Forefeast; 4 from Ode 6 of the Canon for the Last
      Judgement

      In Thy Kingdom remember us, O Lord, when Thou
      comest in Thy Kingdom.

      Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the
      Kingdom of heaven.

      O Christ, Thou hast cast out of Paradise Adam, the
      forefather, who had set aside Thy commandment. And
      in Thy compassion, Thou hast made to dwell therein the
      thief confessing Thee upon the Cross and crying:
      Remember me, O Saviour, in Thy Kingdom.

      Blessed are they that mourn, for they shall be
      comforted.

      O Giver of life and Lord, Thou hast condemned us
      having sinned to the curse of death. And suffering in
      Thy sinless body Thou hast made mortal men live
      crying: Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

      Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

      O Lord, risen from the dead, Thou hast raised us from
      passions by Thy Resurrection. And Thou hast destroyed
      all the might of death. Therefore we cry with faith to
      Thee: Remember us also in Thy Kingdom.

      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after
      righteousness, for they shall be filled.

      Those who went about in the house of God have leapt up
      noetically to receive Christ the King Who is coming in
      the flesh.

      Blessed are the merciful, for they shall obtain
      mercy.

      Making ready beforehand precious gifts acceptable to
      Christ, O ye faithful, let us greet Him with joy today.

      Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

      Now hath the tabernacle passed on and truth come forth
      as grace arrived! Take Christ up now, O Symeon.

      Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called
      the sons of God.

      Now hath the tabernacle passed on and truth come forth
      as grace arrived! Take Christ up now, O Symeon.

      Blessed are they that are persecuted for
      righteousness' sake, for theirs is the kingdom of
      heaven.

      At Thy fearful coming, O Christ, when Thou appearest
      from heaven, when the thrones are set up and the books
      opened, then spare, O Saviour, spare Thy creature.

      Blessed are ye when men shall revile you, and
      persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil
      against you falsely, for My sake.

      Since God is the Judge, nothing can help thee there, no
      zeal, no skill, no glory, no friendship, but only the
      strength that thou gainest, my soul, from thy works.

      Rejoice and be exceeding glad, for great is your
      reward in the heavens.

      Prince and governor will be there together, my soul, rich
      and poor; no father or mother will be able to help us, no
      brother will redeem us from the condemnation.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy
      Spirit.

      Think, my soul, of the fearful examination before the
      Judge; in trembling prepare thy defence, lest thou be
      condemned to the eternal bonds.

      Both now and ever, and unto the ages of ages.
      Amen.

      Hail! Gate of God through whom the Fashioner passed
      made flesh, keeping Thee sealed. Hail! Light Cloud
      bearing Christ, the divine Rain. Hail! Ladder and
      heavenly throne. Hail! Mountain of God, flowing with
      milk and unhewn.

      Troparion of the Resurrection
      (Tone 3)
      Let the Heavens rejoice; / let earthly things be glad; / for
      the Lord hath wrought might with His arm. / He hath
      trampled upon death; / the first- born of the dead hath
      He become. / From the belly of Hades / hath He
      delivered us // and hath granted to the world great
      mercy..

      Troparion of the Forefeast of the Meeting in the
      Temple
      (Tone 1)
      The celestial choir of the angels of heaven, coming to
      earth, behold the Firstborn of all creation Who is come,
      borne into the temple as a Babe in the arms of the
      Mother who kneweth not man. Wherefore. with us they
      chant hymns of the Forefeast, rejoicing.

      Glory . . .

      Kontakion of the Last Judgement
      (Tone 1)
      When Thou comest, O God, upon the earth with glory, /
      the whole world will tremble. / The river of fire will
      bring men before Thy judgement-seat, / the books will
      be opened and the secrets disclosed. / then deliver me
      from the unquenchable fire, // and count me worthy to
      stand on Thy right hand, Judge most righteous.

      Both now and ever . . .

      Kontakion of the Forefeast of the Meeting in the
      Temple
      (Tone 4)
      The word Who is invisibly with the Father is now seen
      in the flesh, ineffably born of the Virgin; and He is
      given to the high priest on the arm of the elder. Let us
      worship Him as our true God!

      The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone

      O chant unto our God, chant ye; // chant unto our King,
      chant ye. (Ps. 46:6)

      Vs/ Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with
      a voice of rejoicing. (Ps. 46:1)

      EPISTLE (I Corinthians 8:8-9:2)

      Brethren: But meat commendeth us not to God: for
      neither, if we eat, are we the better; neither, if we eat
      not, are we the worse. But take heed lest by any means
      this liberty of yours become a stumblingblock to them
      that are weak. For if any man see thee which hast
      knowledge sit at meat in the idol's temple, shall not the
      conscience of him which is weak be emboldened to eat
      those things which are offered to idols; And through thy
      knowledge shall the weak brother perish, for whom
      Christ died? But when ye sin so against the brethren,
      and wound their weak conscience, ye sin against Christ.
      Wherefore, if meat make my brother to offend, I will eat
      no flesh while the world standeth, lest I make my brother
      to offend. Am I not an apostle? am I not free? have I not
      seen Jesus Christ our Lord? are not ye my work in the
      Lord? If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I
      am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the
      Lord.

      The Alleluia in the 3rd Tone
      (PAUSE between Alleluia and first verse)
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia

      In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let me not be put to
      shame in the age to come. (Ps. 30:1)

      Vs/ Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of
      refuge to save me. (Ps. 30:2)

      GOSPEL (Matthew 25:31-46)

      At that time, Jesus said to His disciples: When the Son
      of man shall come in his glory, and all the holy angels
      with him, then shall he sit upon the throne of his glory:
      And before him shall be gathered all nations: and he
      shall separate them one from another, as a shepherd
      divideth his sheep from the goats: And he shall set the
      sheep on his right hand, but the goats on the left. Then
      shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye
      blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for
      you from the foundation of the world: For I was an
      hungered, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye
      gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in:
      Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited
      me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. Then shall
      the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we
      thee an hungered, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee
      drink? When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in?
      or naked, and clothed thee? Or when saw we thee sick,
      or in prison, and came unto thee? And the King shall
      answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you,
      Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of
      these my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Then shall
      he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me,
      ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil
      and his angels: For I was an hungered, and ye gave me
      no meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me no drink: I was
      a stranger, and ye took me not in: naked, and ye clothed
      me not: sick, and in prison, and ye visited me not. Then
      shall they also answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we
      thee an hungered, or athirst, or a stranger, or naked, or
      sick, or in prison, and did not minister unto thee? Then
      shall he answer them, saying, Verily I say unto you,
      Inasmuch as ye did it not to one of the least of these, ye
      did it not to me. And these shall go away into everlasting
      punishment: but the righteous into life eternal.

      Communion verse

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the
      highest. (Ps. 148:1)

      Rejoice in the Lord O ye righteous, praise is meet for the
      upright.

      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!

      - - -
      At Communion of the Clergy

      By the Waters of Babylon (optional)

      Open to Me the Doors of Repentance (optional)

      - - -

      Psalm 33

      Dismissal

      (Reverencing of Icon(s) and Kissing of Cross)

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
    • Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 6 8:59 AM
        At 07:54 PM 02/05/1999 -0500, you wrote:

        >First a couple of points on what is rapidly becoming my favorite topic --
        >introductory phrases to Epistle and Gospel readings.

        This is a real help! Thanks for your time and effort.
        <SNIP>

        >Regarding the Alleluia verses prior to the Gospel reading, the direction to
        >pause between the Alleluia and the 1st psalm verse is a bit confusing. For
        >the Sunday of the Prodigal Son/New Martyrs the order is as follows:
        >
        >Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
        >Reader: And to thy spirit.
        >DEACON (OR PRIEST): WISDOM (you'd left this out)

        When we started the Choir Cues, it wasn't intended to be terribly
        comprehensive. Just enough to "cue" the Choir (and only incidentally
        the Readers) as to what was coming up. To that end, we decided to
        leave out a lot of the "dialogue" between Priest/Deacon and
        Reader or Choir becasue it is the same every Divine Liturgy.

        Regarding the directions about the Alleluia, we decided to simply
        indicate "PAUSE" or "NO PAUSE" as opposed to your method of
        "STOP" or "then immediately". I think we are saying the same
        thing there, but with different words?

        >Reader: "Alleluia in the 2nd Tone." Then immediately: "The Lord hear thee
        >in the day of affliction; the name of the God of Jacob defend thee." (Ps.
        >19:1)

        <SNIP>

        >Reader: "Alleluia in the 3rd Tone." STOP
        >Choir: Alleluia 3X in Tone 3
        <SNIP>

        <SNIP>

        >Also, I don't have a Lenten Triodion handy, and am curious as to why, in the
        >Beatitudes for the Sunday of the Prodigal Son, at Glory, you give the
        >troparion text from the 9th ode. This seems wrong.

        Because in our parish, when there are insufficient stichera in
        the 3rd or 6th Ode (depending on which is called for), rather
        than repeating (sometimes 2 verses each repeated twice), we
        go to the "next" appropriate Ode (6th or 9th) and pull one or
        two stichera from there. This is what our clergy has authorized
        for us in our parish - partly in consideration that many, many
        members cannot/do not attend Vigil, but do attend the Divine
        Liturgy. In this way they will hear unrepeated verses from the
        Canon. Certainly, the clergy of parishes who do not agree with
        or follow this practice should simply "X" out the offending verses
        and direct the Reader to repeat verses from the designated Odes
        (or in some tiny missions, repeat the verses themselves).

        While "standardization" is good up to a point, there are good and
        valid reasons and some leeway for a certain amount of variation,
        depending upon the needs of the local parish.

        >Finally, I don't have a copy of the service to the New Martyrs at work,
        >either, but I seem to recall that there were special verses composed
        >expressly for the Beatitudes, which can be found in the Liturgy section of
        >the service book. Someone should check this out. If I'm wrong, and there
        >are no special verses, then your direction to use the troparia from Ode 3 of
        >the Canon to the New Martyrs is correct.

        Hmmmm - I thought I had followed the directions in the Liturgical
        Calendar put out by SJOKP correctly:

        "Beat: Sun 4: Ode III of MM 4; Ode VI of Triod 4"

        >Have a good weekend.
        >
        >Peter Fekula

        Thanks, Peter!

        In Christ,
        Elizabeth

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
      • Matthew Williams
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 6 9:46 AM
          On Sat, Feb 6, 1999, Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs wrote:
          >>Finally, I don't have a copy of the service to the New Martyrs at work,
          >>either, but I seem to recall that there were special verses composed
          >>expressly for the Beatitudes, which can be found in the Liturgy section of
          >>the service book. Someone should check this out. If I'm wrong, and there
          >>are no special verses, then your direction to use the troparia from Ode 3 of
          >>the Canon to the New Martyrs is correct.
          >
          > Hmmmm - I thought I had followed the directions in the Liturgical
          > Calendar put out by SJOKP correctly:
          >
          > "Beat: Sun 4: Ode III of MM 4; Ode VI of Triod 4"

          This is an error in the Liturgical Calendar (alas, such things do get
          overlooked). The special troparia provided in the Menaion for the NM should
          be used instead of those from Ode III. The fourth troparion is a Theotokion
          (albeit a "special" one). I would be inclined to say that this theotokion
          should probably be omitted (since the troparia from the Triodion follow),
          and repeat the first troparion to make up the required number.

          In Christ,
          Matthew Williams

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
        • Rev. John R. Shaw
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 6 1:10 PM
            Please don't take this as a negative criticism, but it seems strange to me
            that on the one hand such things as "incipits" (introductory phrases) are
            left out, along with other details that "everyone knows", yet there are
            obvious rubrics like people venerating the Cross at the end of the
            Liturgy. It's difficult to believe that this requires typing up each
            time...

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 6 6:30 PM
              At 11:46 AM 02/06/1999 -0600, Matthew Williams wrote:
              >On Sat, Feb 6, 1999, Dr. Elizabeth W. Riggs wrote:

              >> Hmmmm - I thought I had followed the directions in the Liturgical
              >> Calendar put out by SJOKP correctly:
              >>
              >> "Beat: Sun 4: Ode III of MM 4; Ode VI of Triod 4"
              >
              >This is an error in the Liturgical Calendar (alas, such things do get
              >overlooked). The special troparia provided in the Menaion for the NM should
              >be used instead of those from Ode III. The fourth troparion is a Theotokion
              >(albeit a "special" one). I would be inclined to say that this theotokion
              >should probably be omitted (since the troparia from the Triodion follow),
              >and repeat the first troparion to make up the required number.
              >
              >In Christ,
              >Matthew Williams

              Matthew, y'all have done yeoman's work on the Liturgical Calendar
              and the Ordinary of the Services! And I, for one, am most grateful!

              As you notice the inevitable problems, please post them to the USTAV
              list - as early as possible BEFORE the date. It would really help in
              putting together the services....

              I'm trying to get several weeks ahead, which will hopefully allow
              such problems to be caught earlier.

              thanks again for all your hard work

              In Christ,
              Elizabeth Riggs

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6 6:34 PM
                At 03:10 PM 02/06/1999 -0600, you wrote:
                >Please don't take this as a negative criticism, but it seems strange to me
                >that on the one hand such things as "incipits" (introductory phrases) are
                >left out, along with other details that "everyone knows", yet there are
                >obvious rubrics like people venerating the Cross at the end of the
                >Liturgy. It's difficult to believe that this requires typing up each
                >time...

                I have a "form" that I use, and just merge data into it on a
                weekly basis (saves typing).

                Please remember, this originally was just for our parish, and
                it has since "grown" through sharing with a small list of parishes
                just in our part of the Diocese into something shared internationally
                via this list! Much of the content addresses our specific needs.

                I'll delete those parts if they are annoying....

                In Christ,
                Elizabeth

                eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav