[ustav] Liturgical language used by the holy fathers

  • Nicholas Park
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
      In what kind of language did the holy fathers pray? I've been told that
      Biblical Greek was a common, spoken Greek--for comprehension by all--but
      I've also been told that Greek liturgical hymnody is poetic, using a more
      exalted form of the language--"offering our best to God". But I don't
      know Greek, so I really can't speak to any of this. And as far as the
      tradition in Russia goes, there is clearly a precedent for an "exalted"
      liturgical language (and a very beautiful one at that!)--though I've
      heard that prior to the revolution there was some talk of translating the
      services into Russian, because of a general lack of comprehension of
      Slavonic. I would be very interested to hear from those who are familiar
      with the history of liturgical hymnody and language about the type of
      language that has traditionally been used in Orthodox nations.

      In Christ,
      Nicholas Park
    • Ploverleigh@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2000
        In a message dated 4/1/00 10:52:36 AM, gnpark@... writes:

        << I would be very interested to hear from those who are familiar
        with the history of liturgical hymnody and language about the type of
        language that has traditionally been used in Orthodox nations. >>

        Does this include Serbia and Bulgaria who are going to the vernacular? As the
        Ukrainians--both Uniate and Orthodox--have done?

        Really, the only two places where Slavonic is now used liturgically are
        Russia and the USA, or to be more exact, the Russian diaspora and a few Greek
        Catholic parishes.