[ustav] Parades/outdoor processions

  • kudut@mystics.bungi.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 31, 1998
      Fathers, Bless!

      Are there services which call for a parade or outdoor procession?

      [for example, either around the parish, or better still, down
      the main street of the town of the parish/monastery]?

      If so, which services are these, and when?

      [the only one I can think of is the restoration of the icons]

      -Kenneth

      --
      Each day, it seems I begin again to be made pure, to see.
      In a fathomless abyss, in a measureless heaven,

      eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
    • Photini Henderson
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 31, 1998
        This was asked on another list, and I am very curious about this.

        Outdoor Processions -- I think we've been far too meek in most of our
        areas (though I do hear that Astoria does processions real big), and
        yet even in Alaska where the village may be Orthodox, and the school's
        holidays may be old calendar and according to the feasts of the
        church, and the villagers own the street -- processions still seem to
        be just around the church.

        What are the guidelines of processions, when its okay, how they are
        done -- is it wrong or outside the tradition to hope for more?

        In Christ,

        Photini

        Kenneth Udut <kudut@...> wrote:

        > Fathers, Bless!
        >
        > Are there services which call for a parade or outdoor procession?
        >
        > [for example, either around the parish, or better still, down
        > the main street of the town of the parish/monastery]?
        >
        > If so, which services are these, and when?
        >
        > [the only one I can think of is the restoration of the icons]
        >
        > -Kenneth

        ==

        Photini L. Henderson
        P O Box 2872 - Homer AK 99603 - 907-235-1970
        Internet contact: mhen_derson@...
        phonefree 129779 (unlisted iphone, speakfreely) and icq 7539013

        eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
      • Fr. John Morris
        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 31, 1998
          kudut@... wrote:

          > Fathers, Bless!
          >
          > Are there services which call for a parade or outdoor procession?

          In Antiochian tradition, we have outdoor processions at the end of the
          Divine Liturgy on Palm Sunday and during the Apostika of the Agape Vespers.
          We also frequently have a procession with the bier during the Holy God... at
          the end of the Great Doxology on Great and Holy Friday.

          Archpriest John W. Morris

          > [for example, either around the parish, or better still, down
          > the main street of the town of the parish/monastery]?
          >
          > If so, which services are these, and when?
          >
          > [the only one I can think of is the restoration of the icons]
          >
          > -Kenneth
          >
          > --
          > Each day, it seems I begin again to be made pure, to see.
          > In a fathomless abyss, in a measureless heaven,
          > who can find a middle or an end?
          > [kudut@...] St Symeon the New Theologian

          > Heart Disease. Family Medicine. ADD. Arthritis. Asthma. Neuroscience.
          > Hundreds of expert human guides to lead you through thousands of topics.
          > Explore The Mining Co. http://offers.egroups.com/click/195/0
          >
          > eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav

          eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav
        • Serge Keleher
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 1, 1999
            Yes, Astoria is big on processions. The biggest and most
            spectacular processions of my experience have been in L'viv on Holy
            Theophany and in Athens on Good Friday. Descriptions:
            1) Holy Theophany in L'viv. From time immemorial, excluding the
            recent unpleasantness (aka the Soviet period) it has been the custom on
            Theophany to hold the Great Blessing of Waters in the large square around
            City Hall. The square has four big fountains, one at each corner, so to
            speak,
            There is Divine Liturgy in every church on the morning of
            Theophany, naturally. The last time I was there for this feast, the
            Greek-Catholic Metropolitan Volodymyr served in Transfiguration Church,
            which is the nearest to the square; one of the younger auxiliary bishops
            served in Saint George's Cathedral and another bishop served in the large
            church at the Studite Monastery; elsewhere the priests served. At the end
            of the Divine Liturgy in each church the hierarch if there is one, the
            clergy, the choirs and the faithful (with banners and so on ) make a
            procession to the square around City Hall (the pastors, of course, know how
            long the procession will take to walk from their particular church to City
            Hall, and therefore they know at what time to begin the Divine Liturgy).
            The Metropolitan and his procession from Transfiguration Church are the
            last to arrive. Large platforms are erected for the occasion at each of the
            four fountains.
            Since at the time of writing the ecumenical situation in L'viv is a
            bit tense, each of the four fountains is allocated to a different
            ecclesiastical judicatory (which could lead to an amusing analysis, since
            each fountain has a symbol, and none of those symbols have anything to do
            with Christianity, but never mind): one, of course, for the
            Greek-Catholics, one for the Moscow Patriarchate, one for the "Kiev
            Patriarchate", and one for the "Ukrainian Autocephalous Church". Despite
            the generally strained relations amongst these groups, the order of the
            Great Blessing is agreed and calm: nobody starts until the Greek-Catholic
            Metropolitan is ready. Each contingent holds the service simultaneously,
            without abbreviations. The square is jammed with faithful, beyond capacity;
            people are in all the windows of the shops and apartments around the
            square, and in the streets leading into the square, and besides the
            fountains there are great vats of water, crosses carved from ice, and so
            forth. The singing is stupendous.
            When the Precious Cross is immersed in the water, the Hutsuls blow
            a loud blast on their trembyty, whereupon the crowd sings the Apolytkion.
            The blessing of the crowds with the Holy Water is joyful chaos, with
            priests (each accompanied by husky acolytes carrying large containers of
            Holy Water) moving in all directions and the people surging forward to fill
            their own containers and to drink some of the Holy Water. The processions
            then go into reverse, so to speak, and return to the churches from which
            they came, with the clergy blessing constantly along the streets.
            Wonderful.
            Practical Note: L'viv has an atrocious climate, and it's bitter
            cold in late January. Clergy taking part in this service normally see to it
            that they are very warmly dressed, and then put on heavy, warm vestments as
            well. An inconspicuous black fur hat under a klobuk is quite helpful. Those
            who would like to have such processions in other northern districts might
            keep this in mind.

            2) Good Friday night in Athens. As anyone who has ever attended a
            Greek church on Good Friday night anywhere knows, in Greek usage the
            Funeral of Christ has become quite festive; here I describe only the
            processions. The police, of course, know very well what is going to happen
            and where and at what time, so they know when to block the secular traffic
            and where they will need to direct processions that criss-cross. There is
            no central rendezvous; each procession leaves its church, processes around
            a number of streets (presumably determined by the clergy in consultation
            with the police), and returns to its own church. The crowds are enormous,
            beyond counting; for most churches in Athens this is by far the
            best-attended service of the year.
            According to the Ustav, the procession should chant the Trisagion.
            It starts out that way, but very soon the music will switch to parts of the
            Lamentations, or parts of the Canon, which most of the people know by heart
            and will sing with enthusiasm. It is the custom in Athens that people leave
            the electric lights on in their homes on this particular evening, so that
            the processional routes are lit all along the streets; those who care to do
            so will rush back to their apartments, open the windows, and throw perfume
            and flowers on the Epitaphios as the processions pass.
            Several times (usually four times) the procession stops,and the
            clergy chant a short ectene (the kind that the Slavs might use at a
            Moleben); otherwise the procession is continuous.
            As I mentioned, in the city center where there are a great many
            churches the processions criss-cross (I've seen on the TV news the next day
            views taken by video-camera from the hill-top overlooking the city center;
            it's amazing to see the patterns of light - since everyone has a candle -
            crossing each other). In the district around Holy Trinity Church on
            Akharnon the procession from Holy Trinity and the procession from Saint
            Nicholas pass each other in the streets and children from each procession
            enjoy throwing flowers at the Epitaphion in the other procession.

            N.B. for those who are wondering why the crowds attending services
            in Athens are larger on Good Friday than on Pascha, it's quite simple: on
            Holy Saturday the population of Athens drops as though somebody had pulled
            the plug; everyone tries to go home to his village. By midnight Athens
            resembles a ghost town.

            Apart from these, I've often enough been involved in processions in
            Western Ukraine for patronal feast days, especially in villages. These
            processions don't require much by way of description. In such villages
            there is invariably a funeral procession as well, from the church to the
            cemetery, regardless of the distance.

            (Archimandrite) Serge

            eGroup home: http://www.eGroups.com/list/ustav