[ustav] Re: Choir Cues: 20 Dec 1998 / 2 Jan 1999 Sunday of the Fathers; Sunday before Nativity

  • Michael M Ossorgin
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 1, 2000
      Dear Elizabeth,

      SJOKP has it correctly and I consulted with Reader Daniel to verify the
      1. St. John of Kronstadt is optional- wer'e doing it, Washington is
      and so is Synod at New York according to Reader Daniel and Reader Isaac.
      2. The pattern for this service, according to the Typikon, is
      patterned after the rule for St. Peter, Metropolitan of Russia.
      3. Therefore, the Prok., All, Gosp, Comm. are for the Fathers and then
      for Saint John.

      You have some errors on the troparia and Kontakia selections:
      1. The Father's troparion on the 20th should be Tone 1: Be Glad O
      2. The Forefeast troparion on the 20th (you used the one for before
      the 20th) should be Tone 4: Make ready O Bethlehem!...
      3. The kontakion that you list for the forefeast is actually the
      kontakion for the fathers(you usede the forefather's kontakion for what
      you listed as the fathers kontakion) in Tone 1: Be glad O
      Bethlehem!..., so you need to put the forefeast kontakion in that

      I hope this helps! This writing is so tiny, please excuse any mistakes.

      In Christ, Michael

      "dr. elizabeth w. riggs" <ewrigg-@...> wrote:
      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/ustav/?start=3697
> [...]
      > of Kronstadt
      > 6th Hr: Troparia: Resurrection; Glory...;
      > for the Fathers
      > Kontakion: For the Fathers
      > Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      > 12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechoes; 4 from Ode III from the Canon to
      > Fathers; 4 from Ode VI from the Canon to St. John of Kronstadt
      > Remember me, my God and Saviour, when Thou comest into Thy Kingdom
      and save
      > me as Thou alone lovest mankind.
      > Through the wood of the Cross Thou hast saved again Adam who was
      beguiled by
      > the tree and the thief ashe cried aloud: Remember us also in Thy
      > O Giver of Life, having broken the gates and chains of hell, Thou,
      > hast made all men rise crying aloud: Glory to Thy Resurrection.
      > Do Thou Who hast by Thy burial and Thy Resurrection despoiled
      death, and
      > filled all things with joy, remember me as Thou art compassionate.
      > The captive children, clothed with the wisdom and power of
      > Spirit, put to shame the wise men of Babylon and boldly cried out:
      > is holy save Thee, O Lord, Lover of mankind!
      > The Law doth rejoice and joineth chorus with the children
      and the
      > porphets and doth exult today before the divine advent of the Lord.
      > Abraham doth rejoice, for from his seed hath the incarnate Lord
      > The Law doth rejoice and joineth chorus with the children
      and the
      > prophets and doth exult today before the divine advent of the Lord.
      > abraham doth rejoice, for from his seed hath the incarnate Lord
      > The Law doth rejoice and joineth chorus with the children
      and the
      > prophets and doth exult today before the divine advent of the Lord.
      > abraham doth rejoice, for from his seed hath the incarnate Lord
      > Thou wast a fruitful olive tree in the house of thy Lord, O
      > divinely manifest John, for the Lord imparted divine knowledge unto
      > and strengthened thee in thine apostolic work.
      > Ye are the members of the body of Christ! Thus, with the
      > Paul didst thou preach, and didst teach thy flock to love Christ
      > that all may be one.
      > Thy life is holy, thy discourse, O divinely wise one, was
      > with the grace of God, and thy heart became a vessel of grace-filled
      > prayer. Wherefore, with faith and love we honor thee.
      > Thy life is holy, thy discourse, O divinely wise one, was
      > with the grace of God, and thy heart became a vessel of grace-filled
      > prayer. Wherefore, with faith and love we honor thee.
      > Thy life is holy, thy discourse, O divinely wise one, was
      > with the grace of God, and thy heart became a vessel of grace-filled
      > prayer. Wherefore, with faith and love we honor thee.
      > Troparion of the Resurrection
      > (Tone 6)
      > Angelic Hosts were above Thy tomb, / and they that guarded Thee
      became as
      > dead. / And Mary stood by the grave / seeking Thine immaculate Body.
      / Thou
> [...]
      > (Tone 6)
      > Once Mary, pregnant with a seedless pregnancy, was registered in
      > with the elder Joseph, as being of the seed of David. And while they
      > there, the days were accomplished that she should be delivered, but
      > was no room for them in the inn. But the cave showed itself to be a
      > beauteous palace for the Queen, and Christ is born to raise up the
      > that fell of old!
      > Troparion for St. John of Kronstadt
      > (Tone 4)
      > O wonderworker, who livest in Christ forever, take pity in thy love
      > people in misfortunes; hearken unto thy children who with faith call
      > thee, expecting compassionate aid from thee, O John of Kronstadt, our
      > beloved pastor.
      > Kontakion of the Fathers
      > (Tone 6)
      > O thrice-blessed ones, who did not honor an image wrought by hands,
      but were
      > defended by the indescribable Essence, ye were glorified in your
      ordeal by
      > fire; and, standing in the midst of unbearable flame, ye called upon
      > saying: Make speed and hast Thou to help us, O Compassionate One, in
      > Thou art merciful; for what Thou willest, Thou canst do!
      > Glory . . .
      > Kontakion of St. John of Kronstadt
      > (Tone 4)
      > O father John, namesake of grace, who wast chosen by God from
      childhood, who
      > in thy youth miraculously received from Him the gift of learning, and
      in a
      > dream wast most gloriously called to be a priest: Entreat Christ God,
      > we may all be with thee in the kingdom of heaven.
      > Both now and ever . . .
      > Kontakion of the Forefeast
      > (Tone 1)
      > [Spec. Mel: "The choir of angels..."]
      > Be glad, O Bethlehem! Make ready, O Ephratha! For, lo! she that
      beareth the
      > Lamb and great Shepherd in her womb doth make haste to give birth.
      > this, the God-bearing fathers are glad, with the shepherds hymning the
      > lactescent Virgin.
      > The Prokeimenon in the 4th Tone
      > (of the Holy Fathers)
      > Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, / and praised and
      > glorified is thy name unto the ages.
      > Vs/: For righteous art Thou in all which Thou hast done for us.
      > And in the same Tone
      > To the Saints who are in the land / The Lord has shown the wonder of
      all His
      > will to them.
      > Epistle: (Hebrews 11:9-10; 1 John 4:7-11)
      > Brethren:
      > By faith Abraham sojourned in the land of promise, as in a strange
      > dwelling in tabernacles with Isaac and Jacob, the heirs with him of
      the same
      > promise: For he looked for a city which hath foundations, whose
      builder and
      > maker is God. By faith Abraham, when he was tried, offered up Isaac:
      and he
> [...]
      > died, made mention of the departing of the children of Israel; and
      > commandment concerning his bones. By faith Moses, when he was born,
      was hid
      > three months of his parents, because they saw he was a proper child;
      > they were not afraid of the king's commandment. And what shall I more
      > for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of
      > and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets: Who
      > faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises,
      > the mouths of lions, Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge
      of the
      > sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight,
      turned to
      > flight the armies of the aliens. Women received their dead raised to
      > again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they
      > obtain a better resurrection: And others had trial of cruel mockings
      > scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: They were
      stoned, they
      > were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain with the sword: they
      > about in sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted,
      > (Of whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in
      > mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. And these all, having
      > obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: God
      > provided some better thing for us, that they without us should not be
      > perfect.
      > Brethren: Let us love one another: for love is of God; and every one
      > loveth is born of God, and knoweth God. He that loveth not knoweth
      not God;
      > for God is love. In this was manifested the love of God toward us,
      > that God sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we might live
      > through him. Herein is love, not that we loved God, but that he loved
      > and sent his Son to be the propitiation for our sins. Beloved, if God
      > loved us, we ought also to love one another.
      > Priest: Peace be unto the one who has read.
      > Reader: And to thy spirit.
      > The Alleluia in the 4th Tone
      > (of the Holy Fathers)
      > NO PAUSE between Alleluia and first verse)
      > Moses and Aaron are among His priests, and Samuel is among them that
      > upon His name.
      > Vs/: They called upon the Lord, and He hearkened unto them.
      > And in the Same Tone
      > Thy priests shall be clothed in righteousness, and Thy righteous shall
      > rejoice.
      > Gospel: (Matthew 1:1-25; Luke 6:31 - 36)
      > The book of the generation of Jesus Christ, the son of David, the son
      > Abraham. Abraham begat Isaac; and Isaac begat Jacob; and Jacob begat
      > and his brethren; And Judas begat Phares and Zara of Thamar; and
      > begat Esrom; and Esrom begat Aram; And Aram begat Aminadab; and
      > begat Naasson; and Naasson begat Salmon; And Salmon begat Booz of
      > and Booz begat Obed of Ruth; and Obed begat Jesse; And Jesse begat
      David the
      > king; and David the king begat Solomon of her that had been the wife
      > Urias; And Solomon begat Roboam; and Roboam begat Abia; and Abia
      begat Asa;
      > And Asa begat Josaphat; and Josaphat begat Joram; and Joram begat
      Ozias; And
      > Ozias begat Joatham; and Joatham begat Achaz; and Achaz begat
      Ezekias; And
      > Ezekias begat Manasses; and Manasses begat Amon; and Amon begat
      Josias; And
      > Josias begat Jechonias and his brethren, about the time they were
      > away to Babylon: And after they were brought to Babylon, Jechonias
      > Salathiel; and Salathiel begat Zorobabel; And Zorobabel begat Abiud;
      > Abiud begat Eliakim; and Eliakim begat Azor; And Azor begat Sadoc;
      and Sadoc
      > begat Achim; and Achim begat Eliud; And Eliud begat Eleazar; and
      > begat Matthan; and Matthan begat Jacob; And Jacob begat Joseph the
      > of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ. So all the
      > generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from
      > until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and
      from the
      > carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations. Now
      > birth of Jesus Christ was on this wise: When as his mother Mary was
      > to Joseph, before they came together, she was found with child of the
      > Ghost. Then Joseph her husband, being a just man, and not willing to
      > her a public example, was minded to put her away privily. But while he
      > thought on these things, behold, the angel of the Lord appeared unto
      him in
      > a dream, saying, Joseph, thou son of David, fear not to take unto
      thee Mary
      > thy wife: for that which is conceived in her is of the Holy Ghost.
      And she
      > shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he
      > save his people from their sins. Now all this was done, that it might
      > fulfilled which was spoken of the Lord by the prophet, saying,
      Behold, a