[ustav] Re: privat worship

  • MylesWI@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 3, 1999
      Please do not call it icon worship. Veneration of icons would be the proper
      terminology.

      Fr. Deacon Myles Ivan
    • Kerxhalli@aol.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 3, 1999
        God Bless You. There are many fine books about the Orthodox Faith and
        practices. I live in America, so I have only on hand books from here - of
        those that have been particularly helpful both to catechumens as well as
        those who have been raised Orthodox are the following:

        "Making God Real in the Orthodox Christian Home" by Anthony Coniaris. Light
        and Life Publishing Company, P.O. Box 26421, Minneapolis, Minnesota 55426-0421

        Introducing the Orthodox Church, Its Faith and Life by Anthony Coniaris -
        same publisher and address as listed above.

        Catechism on the Eastern Orthodox Faith for Adults. Library of Congress
        Catalog Card Number 79-97175. Published by OLOGOS Mission, P.O. Box 5333,
        St. Louis, Missouri 63115.

        There are many, many books out there. Please talk to your Parish Priest for
        those he would recommend to you.
      • Matushka Photini Henderson
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 3, 1999
          Not pitching any particular bookstore, but there are some bookstores
          that have what can be called a mix of things. For newbies, on the
          Orthodox Home Church School, we usually send people only to
          www.orthodoxpress.org -- there, they seem to have consistently screened
          all books so that literally anything there will be 'clean learning'
          which doesn't later have to be corrected.

          After you get sufficiently comfortable with a 'mind of the Church' and
          with the constant care and guidance of your local priest, certainly you
          can wander even into Barnes & Noble, Amazon.com, and even Light & Life
          and filter titles for yourself,

          Hope this helps.

          In Christ,

          Photini

          > God Bless You. There are many fine books about the Orthodox Faith
          and
          > practices. I live in America, so I have only on hand books from here
          - of
          > those that have been particularly helpful both to catechumens as well
          as
          > those who have been raised Orthodox are the following:
          >
          > "Making God Real in the Orthodox Christian Home" by Anthony Coniaris.
          Light
          > and Life Publishing Company, P.O. Box 26421, Minneapolis, Minnesota
          55426-0421

          > Introducing the Orthodox Church, Its Faith and Life by Anthony
          Coniaris -
          > same publisher and address as listed above.
          >
          > Catechism on the Eastern Orthodox Faith for Adults. Library of
          Congress
          > Catalog Card Number 79-97175. Published by OLOGOS Mission, P.O. Box
          5333,
          > St. Louis, Missouri 63115.
          >

          > There are many, many books out there. Please talk to your Parish
          Priest for
          > those he would recommend to you.

        • David Moser
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 3, 1999
            >>Since i am still a catechumen in the orthodox church (St. Alexander
            Nevsky in Copenhagen) i have a hard time finding information about the
            privat orthodox practices ex.: fasting rules, icon worship(do you need
            vigillamps?, must the icons hang on an east wall)etc. Can somebody help
            me with these questions?<<

            An excellent and very clear online resource would be: A Guide to Orthodox Life
            by Father David and Presbytera Julianna Cownie. You will need Adobe Acrobat
            Reader to read the file - but that is a free download. The access page for the
            book is:
            http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/praxis/pr_general.htm

            If you need to download Adobe, you can do so from the home page for the same
            site:
            http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/index.html

            Priest David Moser +++ moserd@...

            "Those who are not satisfied with what they have to sustain life but who seek
            for more, make themselves the slaves of passions" - St Anthony the Great