[ustav] Re: Most-Holy Theotokos save us

  • Matushka Photini Henderson
    Message 1 of 16 , Dec 1, 1999

      > There are many points in the services in which one
      > might hear the phrase (with an Old Rite twist):
      > "O Most-Holy *Lady* (gospozhe) Theotokos, save us",
      > but if they do it during the petition "Calling to
      > remembrance..." it is not reflected in the Old Rite
      > Prayer book.

      Right-o. It's not so indicated. But that doesn't preclude it. The
      Greek books also don't have the superimpose written in -- it's just
      done. Instructions/rubrics such as this is sung, this is not, going
      up, going down, are not written in, that is why it is so dimensional
      when it is experienced. The book doesn't have it all in there.

      In Christ,

      Photini
    • Bishop Tikhon
      Message 2 of 16 , Dec 1, 1999
        At 05:41 AM 12/1/1999 -0800, Photini wrote:

        > > There are many points in the services in which one
        > > might hear the phrase (with an Old Rite twist):
        > > "O Most-Holy *Lady* (gospozhe) Theotokos, save us",
        > > but if they do it during the petition "Calling to
        > > remembrance..." it is not reflected in the Old Rite
        > > Prayer book.
        >
        >Right-o. It's not so indicated. But that doesn't preclude it.

        I wasn't aware that the Old Believers were given to impromptus and adding
        things to the services that were not in the service books for which they
        were willing to suffer. Why compare them with modern Greek Orthodox?

        Love,
        +B.T.
      • Deacon John Whiteford
        Message 3 of 16 , Dec 1, 1999
          Matushka Photini wrote:

          "Right-o. It's not so indicated. But that doesn't
          preclude it. The Greek books also don't have the
          superimpose written in -- it's just done.
          Instructions/rubrics such as this is sung, this is
          not, going up, going down, are not written in, that is
          why it is so dimensional when it is experienced. The
          book doesn't have it all in there."

          But given the attention to detail of the Old Rite
          prayer book, I would say that it is highly unlikely
          that they would not make mention of such a practice.

          Furthermore, it is true as a general rule, that
          Russians (and most especially Old Believers) tend to
          not add things, or change their practices... whereas
          the Greeks have historically been much more open to
          introducing new practices. Case in point, at Pascha,
          the Greeks use the hymn "Come, receive ye the
          light..." which is a more recent practice. The
          Russian practice reflects the older practice.

          This is, of course, not to say that one practice is
          better than the other...

          =====
        • Peter.Fekula@aplnet.com
          Message 4 of 16 , Dec 1, 1999
            This seems unlikely. If anyone followed the directions given in the
            service books to the letter it's the Old Believers. Their history has
            shown that they took what's found in those books extremely literally and
            seriously, to their physical detriment in many cases.

            Peter Fekula
            ============

            "Matushka Photini Henderson" <mhen_derson@...> on 12/01/1999 08:41:07
            AM

            Please respond to ustav@egroups.com

            To: ustav@...
            cc:

            Subject: [ustav] Re: Most-Holy Theotokos save us

            > There are many points in the services in which one
            > might hear the phrase (with an Old Rite twist):
            > "O Most-Holy *Lady* (gospozhe) Theotokos, save us",
            > but if they do it during the petition "Calling to
            > remembrance..." it is not reflected in the Old Rite
            > Prayer book.

            Right-o. It's not so indicated. But that doesn't preclude it. The
            Greek books also don't have the superimpose written in -- it's just
            done. Instructions/rubrics such as this is sung, this is not, going
            up, going down, are not written in, that is why it is so dimensional
            when it is experienced. The book doesn't have it all in there.

            In Christ,

            Photini

            See Ustav information at http://www.orthodox.net/ustav

            NEED A DATE?
            Whether you're huntin' for a soulmate, or hankerin' for new friends,
            Collegeclub.com has over a million members worth meeting.
            Check it at http://clickhere.egroups.com/click/1851

            -- http://www.egroups.com/docvault/ustav/?m=1