OC Choir Cues: ENTRY OF OUR LORD INTO JERUSALEM (Palm Sunday), 31 March/13 April 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 7 1:55 PM
      According to the Typicon, the Service from the Triodion (§3B22).

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      31 March/13 April 2014
      ENTRY OF OUR LORD INTO JERUSALEM (Palm Sunday).

      Sunday Readings:
      Epistle: Philippians 4:4-9, §247
      Gospel: John 12:1-18, §41

      St. Hypatius the Wonder-worker, Bishop of Gangra. Venerable Hypatius,
      Abbot of Rufinus in Chalcedon. Venerable Apollo of Egypt.
      Hieromartyrs Abdas, Bishop of Persia, and Benjamin, Deacon. St.
      Jonah, Metropolitan of Moscow. Venerable Hypatius the Healer of the
      Kiev Caves. Righteous Joseph the Fair, the son of Jacob. Venerable
      Acacius the Confessor, Bishop of Melitene. Holy Equal-to-the-Apostles
      Innocent, Metropolitan of Moscow. "Iveron" Icon of the Mother of God.

      READER AND CHOIR CUES

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Festal Troparion, "In confirming the common Resurrection..."
      Glory...
      Festal Troparion, "As by baptism we were buried with Thee, O Christ..."
      Festal Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      In place of the usual antiphons, use the festal antiphons:

      FIRST ANTIPHON, Tone 2:

      Stichos 1: I am filled with love, for the Lord will hear the voice of
      my supplication.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      Stichos 2: For He hath inclined His ear unto me, and in my days will I
      call upon Him.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      Stichos 3: The pangs of death have encompassed me, the perils of hades
      have found me.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      Stichos 4: Tribulation and sorrow have I found, and I called upon the
      name of the Lord.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now
      and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.
      Refrain: Through the prayers of the Theotokos, O Savior, save us.

      SECOND ANTIPHON, Tone 2:

      Stichos 1: I believed, wherefore I spake; I was humbled exceedingly.
      Refrain: O Son of God Who didst sit upon a colt, save us who sing to
      Thee: Alleluia.

      Stichos 2: What shall I render unto the Lord for all that He hath
      rendered unto me?
      Refrain. O Son of God Who didst sit upon a colt, save us who sing to
      Thee: Alleluia.

      Stichos 3: I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the
      name of the Lord.
      Refrain: O Son of God Who didst sit upon a colt, save us who sing to
      Thee: Alleluia.

      Stichos 4: My vows unto the Lord will I pay in the presence of all His people.
      Refrain: O Son of God Who didst sit upon a colt, save us who sing to
      Thee: Alleluia.

      Glory to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit, both now
      and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.

      O only-begotten Son and Word of God, Who art immortal, yet didst deign
      for our salvation to be incarnate of the Holy Theotokos and
      Ever-Virgin Mary, and without change didst become man, and was
      crucified, O Christ God, trampling down death by death. Thou Who art
      one of the Holy Trinity, glorified with the Father and the Holy
      Spirit, save us.

      THIRD ANTIPHON

      Reader: Stichos 1: O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good, for
      His mercy endureth forever.
      Choir (Festal Troparion, Tone 1): In confirming the common
      Resurrection, O Christ God, / Thou didst raise up Lazarus from the
      dead before Thy passion. / Wherefore, we also, like the children
      bearing the symbols of victory, / cry to Thee, the Vanquisher of
      death: / Hosanna in the highest; // blessed is He that cometh in the
      name of the Lord.

      Stichos 2: Let the house of Israel now say that He is good, for His
      mercy endureth forever.
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      Stichos 3: Let the house of Aaron now say that He is good, for His
      mercy endureth forever.
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      Stichos 4: Let all that fear the Lord now say that He is good, for His
      mercy endureth forever.
      Choir: Repeat Troparion

      ENTRY VERSE:

      Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. We have blessed you
      out of the house of the Lord. God is the Lord, and hath appeared unto
      us.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKION

      Festal Troparion, Tone 1: In confirming the common Resurrection, O
      Christ God, / Thou didst raise up Lazarus from the dead before Thy
      passion. / Wherefore, we also, like the children bearing the symbols
      of victory, / cry to Thee, the Vanquisher of death: / Hosanna in the
      highest; // blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord.

      Glory...

      Festal Troparion, Tone 4: As by baptism we were buried with Thee, O
      Christ our God, / so by Thy Resurrection we were deemed worthy of
      immortal life; / and praising Thee, we cry: / Hosanna in the highest;
      // blessed is He that cometh in the name of the Lord.

      Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 6: Being borne upon a throne in heaven, and
      upon a colt on the earth, / O Christ God, Thou didst accept the praise
      of the angels / and the laudation of the children as they cry to Thee:
      // Blessed is He that cometh to recall Adam.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: Blessed is he that cometh in
      the name of the Lord. God is the Lord, and hath appeared unto us.
      Choir: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. God is the
      Lord, and hath appeared unto us.
      Reader: O give thanks unto the Lord, for He is good, for His mercy
      endureth forever.
      Choir: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. God is the
      Lord, and hath appeared unto us.
      Reader. Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord.
      Choir: God is the Lord, and hath appeared unto us.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Philippians.

      [Philippians 4:4-9, §247]: Brethren: rejoice in the Lord always: and
      again I say, Rejoice. * Let your moderation be known unto all men. The
      Lord is at hand. * Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by
      prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made
      known unto God. * And the peace of God, which passeth all
      understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
      * Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are
      honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure,
      whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if
      there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these
      things. * Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and
      heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: O sing unto the Lord a new song, for the Lord hath wrought
      wondrous things.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: All the ends of the earth have seen the salvation of our God.

      [John 12:1-18, §41]: Six days before the Passover, Jesus came to
      Bethany, where Lazarus was which had been dead, whom he raised from
      the dead. * There they made him a supper; and Martha served: but
      Lazarus was one of them that sat at the table with him. * Then took
      Mary a pound of ointment of spikenard, very costly, and anointed the
      feet of Jesus, and wiped his feet with her hair: and the house was
      filled with the odour of the ointment. * Then saith one of his
      disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's son, which should betray him, * Why
      was not this ointment sold for three hundred pence, and given to the
      poor? * This he said, not that he cared for the poor; but because he
      was a thief, and had the bag, and bare what was put therein. * Then
      said Jesus, Let her alone: against the day of my burying hath she kept
      this. * For the poor always ye have with you; but me ye have not
      always. * Much people of the Jews therefore knew that he was there:
      and they came not for Jesus' sake only, but that they might see
      Lazarus also, whom he had raised from the dead. * But the chief
      priests consulted that they might put Lazarus also to death; *
      Because that by reason of him many of the Jews went away, and believed
      on Jesus. * On the next day much people that were come to the feast,
      when they heard that Jesus was coming to Jerusalem, * Took branches of
      palm trees, and went forth to meet him, and cried, Hosanna: Blessed is
      the King of Israel that cometh in the name of the Lord. * And Jesus,
      when he had found a young ass, sat thereon; as it is written, * Fear
      not, daughter of Sion: behold, thy King cometh, sitting on an ass's
      colt. * These things understood not his disciples at the first: but
      when Jesus was glorified, then remembered they that these things were
      written of him, and that they had done these things unto him. * The
      people therefore that was with him when he called Lazarus out of his
      grave, and raised him from the dead, bare record. * For this cause the
      people also met him, for that they heard that he had done this
      miracle.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of :It is truly meet... we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone ("Having crossed the Red Sea
      dry-shod..."):

      God is the Lord, and hath appeared unto us; / make ye a feast, and
      with gladness, / come, let us magnify Christ with palms and branches,
      / with hymns crying aloud: // blessed is He that cometh in the name of
      the Lord our Savior.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. God is the Lord,
      and hath appeared unto us. Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!