OC Choir Cues: 5 Lent, 24 March/6 April 2014 - FOREFEAST OF THE ANNUNCIATION

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2014
      According to the St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar, the Service
      for the Forefeast of the Annunciation (Six-Stichera-rank Service).
      The service for St. Mary of Egypt is chanted at Compline.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. If you have corrections,
      please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure that all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please
      note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign §,
      followed by the appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional
      Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for singing according to the music
      in the Liturgy book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      24 March/6 April 2014
      SUNDAY OF THE FOREFEAST OF THE ANNUNCIATION -. Tone 8

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: Hebrews 9:11-14 (§321 from the midpoint)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Mark 10:32-45 (§47)

      Fifth Sunday of Great Lent. Forefeast of the Annunciation
      (Six-Stichera-rank service). Venerable Zachariah the Recluse of
      Egypt. St. Artemon, Bishop of Seleucia. St. Artemius of
      Thessalonica. Venerable James the Confessor. Venerable Zachariah of
      the Kiev Caves. Martyrs Stephen and Peter of Kazan. Hieromartyr
      Parthenius, Patriarch of Constantinople.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Forefeast
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Forefeast
      Kontakion of the Forefeast

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. BASIL THE GREAT

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 10 Troparia, 6 from the Octoechos, 4 from
      Ode 3 of the Canon of the Forefeast

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember us, O Christ, Thou Savior of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you
      both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been
      set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

      Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Savior, Thou didst deliver
      Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded
      that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou
      art compassionate.

      Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all
      the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after
      His suffering and resurrection.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the
      resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad
      tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to be
      enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He
      intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      O earth so sadly overgrown with the thorns of the passions, dance
      thou, leaping up; for, lo! the immortal Husbandman now cometh,
      removing the curse from thee.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Prepare thyself, O undefiled Virgin, thou divine fleece; for upon thee
      will God descend like rain, to dry up the torrents of transgression.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Be thou well adorned, O divine scroll; for by the finger of the Father
      will the divine Word incarnate be written upon thee, annulling the
      transgression of my irrationality.

      O golden lamp, bear aloft the fire of the Godhead which shineth forth
      through thee, bestowing light upon the world; for thereby is the
      darkness of our evils broken.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion,Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O
      Compassionate One. / To burial of three days hast Thou submitted, /
      that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our life and
      Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee!

      Festal Troparion, Tone 4: Today the first-fruits of universal joy /
      command us to chant hymnody of the forefeast; / for, lo! Gabriel
      cometh, bearing an announcement to the Virgin, / and he crieth out to
      her: “Rejoice, O thou who art full of grace! // The Lord is with
      thee!”

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 8: Having risen from the tomb, Thou
      didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth
      at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine
      arising from the dead, O greatly Merciful One.

      Glory… Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 8: Thou art the beginning of the salvation of
      all of us mortals, O Virgin Theotokos; / for Gabriel, the great
      supreme commander, the servant of God, / sent from heaven to stand
      before thee, offered thee gladsome joy. // Wherefore, we all cry out
      to thee: Rejoice, O Bride unwedded!

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them
      to the Lord our God.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: Make your vows.
      Choir: And pay them to the Lord our God.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 9:11-14, §321, from the midpoint]: Brethren: Christ being
      come an high priest of good things to come, by a greater and more
      perfect tabernacle, not made with hands, that is to say, not of this
      building; * Neither by the blood of goats and calves, but by his own
      blood he entered in once into the holy place, having obtained eternal
      redemption for us. * For if the blood of bulls and of goats, and the
      ashes of an heifer sprinkling the unclean, sanctifieth to the
      purifying of the flesh: * How much more shall the blood of Christ, who
      through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge
      your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone:
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let us shout with jubilation
      unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and with
      psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.

      [Mark 10:32-45, §47]: At that time, Jesus took again the twelve, and
      began to tell them what things should happen unto him, * Saying,
      Behold, we go up to Jerusalem; and the Son of man shall be delivered
      unto the chief priests, and unto the scribes; and they shall condemn
      him to death, and shall deliver him to the Gentiles: * And they shall
      mock him, and shall scourge him, and shall spit upon him, and shall
      kill him: and the third day he shall rise again. * And James and John,
      the sons of Zebedee, come unto him, saying, Master, we would that thou
      shouldst do for us whatsoever we shall desire. * And he said unto
      them, What would ye that I should do for you? * They said unto him,
      Grant unto us that we may sit, one on thy right hand, and the other on
      thy left hand, in thy glory. * But Jesus said unto them, Ye know not
      what ye ask: can ye drink of the cup that I drink of? and be baptized
      with the baptism that I am baptized with? * And they said unto him, We
      can. And Jesus said unto them, Ye shall indeed drink of the cup that I
      drink of; and with the baptism that I am baptized withal shall ye be
      baptized: * But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not
      mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared. *
      And when the ten heard it, they began to be much displeased with James
      and John. * But Jesus called them to him, and saith unto them, Ye know
      that they which are accounted to rule over the Gentiles exercise
      lordship over them; and their great ones exercise authority upon them.
      * But so shall it not be among you: but whosoever will be great among
      you, shall be your minister: * And whosoever of you will be the
      chiefest, shall be servant of all. * For even the Son of man came not
      to be ministered unto, but to minister, and to give his life a ransom
      for many.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of It is truly meet, we sing the Hymn to the Theotokos of the
      St. Basil Liturgy (Tone 8 in the Octoechos, but usually sung to one of
      many special melodies]:

      All creation -- the assembly of angels and the race of man --
      rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace, O sacred temple and
      noetical paradise, boast of virgins, from whom God, Who existeth from
      before time, was incarnate and became a child; for He made thy body a
      throne, and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. All
      creation rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace. Glory to
      thee!

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!