hierarchal liturgy for 3rd Sunday of Lent

  • Jennifer Park
    Message 1 of 10 , Mar 12, 2014
      Our bishop will be visiting for the 3rd Sunday of Lent. (This will also
      be my first weekend back at church after the birth of our 7th baby, not
      that I'm feeling stressed or anything...) We sing "In thee rejoiceth"
      instead of "It is truly meet" at the Meeting, correct? And do we do
      "Before Thy Cross" similarly to how the Trisagion is done for a
      hierarchal service? How is it divided? Are there any musical
      arrangements floating around specifically for this, or do we just use
      the common melody?

      Thanks, all!

      In Christ,
      Genevieve Park
    • Philip Sokolov
      Message 2 of 10 , Mar 12, 2014
        Genevieve Park wrote:

        > Our bishop will be visiting for the 3rd Sunday of Lent ... We sing "In
        > thee rejoiceth" instead of "It is truly meet" at the Meeting, correct?

        Yes.

        > And do we do "Before Thy Cross" similarly to how the Trisagion is done
        > for a hierarchal service?

        Yes.

        > How is it divided?

        1. Choir
        2. Clergy
        3. Choir
        (Bishop: "Look down from heaven, O God...")
        4. Trio
        5. Choir
        6. Clergy
        (Choir: "Glory... Both now... And Thy holy...")
        7. Choir

        > Are there any musical arrangements floating around specifically for
        > this, or do we just use the common melody?

        Yes, just use the usual melody.

        In Christ,
        Philip
      • Kevin Fritts
        Message 3 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
          A. In addition to the excellent answers you will get in these fora, be sure to run this by your hierarch's protodeacon, subdeacon, or whomever it is the bishop appoints to make sure these things go smoothly. They will have the correct answers for you in this specific case.
          B. Before thy cross: Yes. The order will be the same as for the hierarchical Trisagion:
              1.    Melodically: Before thy cross….
              2.    Clergy: Before thy cross… (Either recitative or sung. The clergy may sing this since that will be more familiar.)
              3.    Recitative: Before thy cross….
              4.    Bishop: Lord, Lord, look down upon this vineyard…Some bishops like to say this in three languages. If so, the trio pauses after “Holy God” and “Holy mighty.”
              5.    Trio, slowly: Before thy cross….
              6.    As the trio sings “Holy God,” the bishop blesses to the west; “holy mighty,” south; “holy immortal: have mercy on us,” north.
              7.    Recitative: Before thy cross….
              8.    Clergy: Before thy cross….
              9.    Recitative: Glory… Now… Melodically: And thy holy resurrection, we glorify.
              10.    Melodically: Before thy cross….
          C. In thee all creation…: Yes. Also, on feasts, the proper megalynarion (the Refrain and Irmos from the ninth ode of the canon) is used.

          It can be helpful to have an outline of the hierarchical liturgy so you can see where you're going and where the bumps may be. I can send you one I made at seminary that has been vetted by several people with great familiarity with hierarchical services in the Russian tradtion. (Greeks and other churches following Great Church/Byzantine practice follow a slightly different order.)

          Beautiful lent,
          Kevin Basil

          On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 10:37 PM, Jennifer Park <parknj@...> wrote:
          Our bishop will be visiting for the 3rd Sunday of Lent. (This will also
          be my first weekend back at church after the birth of our 7th baby, not
          that I'm feeling stressed or anything...) We sing "In thee rejoiceth"
          instead of "It is truly meet" at the Meeting, correct? And do we do
          "Before Thy Cross" similarly to how the Trisagion is done for a
          hierarchal service? How is it divided? Are there any musical
          arrangements floating around specifically for this, or do we just use
          the common melody?

          Thanks, all!

          In Christ,
          Genevieve Park

          ------------------------------------

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              OrthodoxPSALM-digest@yahoogroups.com
              OrthodoxPSALM-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

          Kevin (Basil) Fritts
          basil@...
          KevinBasil.com
          Chat: basil@... (XMPP/Jabber – primary)
          kevbasil (Oscar/AIM), TheKevinBasil (Skype)

          “Be kind; everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.”
          —Ian Mclaren < http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/06/29/be-kind/ >
        • Kevin Fritts
          Message 4 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
            And, sorry for the typo, the trio sings "Before thy cross…," not "Holy God…."

            Speaking of which, musically, the simplest thing to do for this is have your trio sing "Before thy cross" without the tenor line, as follows:
            S=S1/T1 A=S2/T2 B=B/A.

            KB

[...]

          • Hennok Soot
            Message 5 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
              Kevin, truly the best advice is "to run this by your hierarch's protodeacon . . ..".
              Now then, can your offer to make your outline available to Genevieve be extended to others as well?

              Message 6 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
                In number 6 in the outline below, it says "choir sings Holy God..." and then says the hierarch blessses, saying, "Holy God..."  I imagine this is a misprint? and if so, what does the hierarch say when blessing to the west, south, and north?

                Blessed Lent!
                Matushka Mona Soot

                Message 7 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
                  Kevin Basil Fritts wrote:

                  > 1. Melodically: Before thy cross....
                  > 2. Clergy: Before thy cross... (Either recitative or sung. The clergy
                  > may sing this since that will be more familiar.)
                  > 3. Recitative: Before thy cross....

                  I wouldn't do a recitative version of "Before Thy cross" (or of "As many
                  as have been baptized"). Just the normal melody each time.

                  As for the bishop's blessing, I believe they do it Greek-style in ROCOR,
                  so I'm not really clear on how that goes.

                  --Philip
                • Philip Sokolov
                  Message 8 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
                    Genevieve Park wrote:

                    > Our bishop will be visiting for the 3rd Sunday of Lent ... We sing "In
                    > thee rejoiceth" instead of "It is truly meet" at the Meeting, correct?

                    A friend reminded me that it should be "It is truly meet," actually.

                    "In thee rejoiceth" is just what is sung at that point in the Divine
                    Liturgy of St. Basil the Great. It is not, like "The angel cried" or
                    "Rejoice, O Queen," etc., a hymn appointed to be sung in place of "It is
                    truly meet..." whenever it occurs during a given season.

                    In Christ,
                    Philip
                  • kevbasil
                    Message 9 of 10 , Mar 13, 2014
                      Certainly. I tried to be as accurate as possible and include stricter and more common practices, but it was very important to me that the outline stay on two pages so it could be printed double sided and be a real aid and not a hindrance to the choir director/lead chanter.

                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/brdsl2u1t3yb6uh/Hierarchical%20liturgy%20outline.pdf
                      https://www.dropbox.com/s/ljxlmuk08v4cuzt/Hierarchical%20liturgy%20outline.doc

                      By all means, if any changes are necessary, please let me know.

                      Beautiful lent!
                      Kevin Basil
                    • srbm73
                      Message 10 of 10 , Mar 14, 2014
                        Yes.  It should be "It is truly Meet."  Thank you, Philip.

                        dn. Sergius Miller