OC Choir Cues: Lent 1, Sunday of Orthodoxy, 24 February/9 March 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 5, 2014
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies the service for
      the First Sunday of Great Lent and Sunday of Orthodoxy, combined with
      the Feast of the First and Second Findings of the Honorable Head of
      John the Baptist. The outline for the Sunday of Orthodoxy is located
      in the Order of Divine Services (§3B13) on page 109.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for chanting
      according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Special note concerning the Hours: I am not sure of the order of
      Kontakia, because there is a note that the Resurrectional Kontakion
      alternates with both the Kontakion of the Triodion and the Kontakion
      of the Forerunner. I am assuming that in the case of three Kontakia,
      the First and *Ninth* Hours are the first Kontakion (in this case, the
      Resurrectional Kontakion), the Third Hour is covered by the second
      Kontakion (of the Triodion), and the Sixth Hour by the third Kontakion
      (of the Forerunner). If anyone knows differently, please let me know

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      24 February/9 March 2014

      For the Sunday: Hebrews 11:24-26, 11:32-12:2 (§329, from the midpoint)
      For St. John: 2 Corinthians 4:6-15 (§176)

      For the Sunday: John 1:43-51 (§5)
      For St. John: Matthew 11:2-15 (§40)

      First Sunday of Great Lent and Sunday of Orthodoxy, and First and
      Second Findings of the Honorable Head of the Holy Glorious Prophet,
      Forerunner, and Baptist of the Lord, John (Polyeleos-rank service).
      Martyrs Montanus, Lucias, Julian, Victor, Kvartilosia, Victorinus,
      Flavian, and Remus, at Carthage. Venerable Erasmus of the Kiev Caves.
      Finding of the Relics of the Holy Right-believing Prince Romanus of

      At the Third Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of the Forerunner
      Kontakion of the Triodion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion from the Triodion
      Kontakion of the Forerunner

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes):
      12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Triodion Canon,
      4 from Ode 6 of the Canon of the Forerunner

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the Tree
      of the Cross was the thief made to dwell in paradise. For the one by
      tasting, broke the commandment of the creator; while the other,
      crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God, crying out: Remember me
      in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the power
      of death and as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also
      the repentance of the thief unto us who faithfully serve Thee and cry
      out to thee, O Christ God Who alone lovest mankind: Remember us also
      in Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of our
      sins; and, numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of
      hades, O Lord Who lovest mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast
      delivered all from the bonds of hades. Thereby have we been
      illumined, and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty
      didst arise from the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam,
      the first created: Vouchsafe that I also may turn to repentance with
      my whole heart, and may ever cry out to Thee with fervent faith:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      No longer now are the impious heretics exalted in their pride: for the
      power of God has firmly established Orthodoxy.

      Today, at the restoration of the faith, let the prophet sprinkle upon
      us life-giving dew from heaven.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Let the mystical trumpets of Christ’s apostles sound in God-given
      harmony, proclaiming the re-establishment of the precious icons.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Let us sing in praise of Christ, who has appointed a devout and pious
      Empress to rule over us, together with her son crowned by God.

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Christ called thee a true prophet, and the most exalted of the
      prophets, the Baptist and Forerunner of Life, for thou didst behold
      Him Whom the Law and prophets foretold.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      The fountain of miracles, the treasury of grace, thy sacred head, O
      Baptist, Prophet and Forerunner, could not bear to be concealed, and,
      having revealed itself, it poured forth springs of healing.

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The Christ-loving and right glorious city doth set before itself thy
      precious and divine head. O Forerunner, as most rich praise, a radiant
      adornment and a splendid shield.

      Moses, great among the prophets, prefigured thee in the ark, the
      table, the candlestick and the jar, signifying the incarnation of the
      Most High which took place through thee, O Virgin Mother.

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 4: Having learned the joyful
      proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off
      the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord / spake
      to the Apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled / and Christ God is
      risen, // granting to the world great mercy.

      Troparion of the Forerunner, Tone 4: The head of the Forerunner,
      which hath shone forth from the earth, / doth shed rays of
      incorruption and healing upon the faithful. / On high it assembleth a
      multitude of angels, / and below it calleth upon the human race with
      one voice // to send up glory to Christ God.

      Troparion from the Triodion, Tone 2: We venerate Thine immaculate
      Icon, O Good One, / asking the forgiveness of our failings, O Christ
      God; / for of Thine Own will Thou was well-pleased to ascend the Cross
      in the flesh / that Thou mightest deliver from slavery to the enemy
      those whom thou hadst fashioned. / Wherefore, we cry to Thee
      thankfully: // Thou didst fill all things with joy, O our Savior, when
      Thou camest to save the world.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 4: My Savior and Redeemer / hath, as
      God, raised up the earthborn from the grave and from their fetters, /
      and He hath broken the gates of hades, / and, as Master, // hath risen
      on the third day.

      Kontakion of the Forerunner, Tone 2: O prophet of God and Forerunner
      of grace, / having obtained thy head from the earth like a most sacred
      rose, / we ever receive healings, for again, as of old, // thou dost
      preach repentance in all the world.

      Both now…

      Theotokion, Tone 8: The uncircumscribable Word of the Father was
      circumscribed / when He took flesh of thee, O Theotokos; / and when He
      had restored the defiled image to its ancient state, / He suffused it
      with divine beauty. // As for us, confessing our salvation, we record
      it in deed and word.

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the
      God of our fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Reader: For righteous art Thou in all which Thou hast done for us.
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Reader: In the 6th Tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord,
      and shall hope in Him.
      Choir: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord, and shall hope in Him.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 11:24-26;32-12:2, §329 from the midpoint]: Brethren: By faith
      Moses, when he was come to years, refused to be called the son of
      Pharaoh's daughter; * Choosing rather to suffer affliction with the
      people of God, than to enjoy the pleasures of sin for a season; *
      Esteeming the reproach of Christ greater riches than the treasures in
      Egypt: for he had respect unto the recompence of the reward. And what
      shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of
      Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and
      of the prophets: * Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought
      righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions, *
      Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of
      weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight
      the armies of the aliens. * Women received their dead raised to life
      again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they
      might obtain a better resurrection: * And others had trial of cruel
      mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: *
      They were stoned, they were sawn asunder, were tempted, were slain
      with the sword: they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; being
      destitute, afflicted, tormented; * (Of whom the world was not worthy:)
      they wandered in deserts, and in mountains, and in dens and caves of
      the earth. * And these all, having obtained a good report through
      faith, received not the promise: * God having provided some better
      thing for us, that they without us should not be made perfect. *
      Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of
      witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so
      easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set
      before us, * Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;
      who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising
      the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

      [2 Corinthians 4:6-15, §176]: Brethren: God, who commanded the light
      to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the light
      of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. *
      But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the excellency of
      the power may be of God, and not of us. * We are troubled on every
      side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not in despair; *
      Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not destroyed; * Always
      bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the life
      also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. * For we which live
      are alway delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life also of
      Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. * So then death
      worketh in us, but life in you. * We having the same spirit of faith,
      according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I spoken;
      we also believe, and therefore speak; * Knowing that he which raised
      up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall present
      us with you. * For all things are for your sakes, that the abundant
      grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the glory of

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 4th Tone: Moses and Aaron among His priests,
      and Samuel among them that call upon His name.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: They called upon the Lord, and He hearkened unto them.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous man shall flourish like a palm
      tree, and like a cedar in Lebanon shall he be multiplied.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [John 1:43-51, §5]: At that time, Jesus would go forth into Galilee,
      and findeth Philip, and saith unto him, Follow me. * Now Philip was of
      Bethsaida, the city of Andrew and Peter. * Philip findeth Nathanael,
      and saith unto him, We have found him, of whom Moses in the law, and
      the prophets, did write, Jesus of Nazareth, the son of Joseph. * And
      Nathanael said unto him, Can there any good thing come out of
      Nazareth? Philip saith unto him, Come and see. * Jesus saw Nathanael
      coming to him, and saith of him, Behold an Israelite indeed, in whom
      is no guile! * Nathanael saith unto him, Whence knowest thou me? Jesus
      answered and said unto him, Before that Philip called thee, when thou
      wast under the fig tree, I saw thee. * Nathanael answered and saith
      unto him, Rabbi, thou art the Son of God; thou art the King of Israel.
      * Jesus answered and said unto him, Because I said unto thee, I saw
      thee under the fig tree, believest thou? thou shalt see greater things
      than these. * And he saith unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto you,
      Hereafter ye shall see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending
      and descending upon the Son of man.

      [Matthew 11:2-15, §40]: At that time, when John had heard in the
      prison the works of Christ, he sent two of his disciples, * And said
      unto him, Art thou he that should come, or do we look for another? *
      Jesus answered and said unto them, Go and shew John again those things
      which ye do hear and see: * The blind receive their sight, and the
      lame walk, the lepers are cleansed, and the deaf hear, the dead are
      raised up, and the poor have the gospel preached to them. * And
      blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in me. * And as they
      departed, Jesus began to say unto the multitudes concerning John, What
      went ye out into the wilderness to see? A reed shaken with the wind? *
      But what went ye out for to see? A man clothed in soft raiment?
      behold, they that wear soft clothing are in kings' houses. * But what
      went ye out for to see? A prophet? yea, I say unto you, and more than
      a prophet. * For this is he, of whom it is written, Behold, I send my
      messenger before thy face, which shall prepare thy way before thee. *
      Verily I say unto you, Among them that are born of women there hath
      not risen a greater than John the Baptist: notwithstanding he that is
      least in the kingdom of heaven is greater than he. * And from the days
      of John the Baptist until now the kingdom of heaven suffereth
      violence, and the violent take it by force. * For all the prophets and
      the law prophesied until John. * And if ye will receive it, this is
      Elias, which was for to come. * He that hath ears to hear, let him

      Instead of "It is truly meet..." we sing [in Tone 8 of the Octoechos,
      but usually sung to one of many special melodies]:

      All creation -- the assembly of angels and the race of man --
      rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace, O sacred temple and
      noetical paradise, boast of virgins, from whom God, Who existeth from
      before time, was incarnate and became a child; for He made thy body a
      throne, and thy womb He made more spacious than the heavens. All
      creation rejoiceth in thee, O thou who art full of grace. Glory to thee!

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Praise the
      Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In everlasting
      remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil
      tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      NOTE: It is customary in parishes on this Sunday to serve the Moleben
      for the return of those who have departed into error.