Old Calendar Choir Cues: Meeting of the Lord, 2/15 February 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 11, 2014
      For this day, the St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar specifies a
      Great Feast for the Meeting of the Lord..

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      2/15 February 2014

      THE MEETING OF THE LORD

      Epistle:
      Hebrews 7:7-17 (§316)

      Gospel:
      Luke 2:22-40 (§7)

      The Meeting of Our Lord, God, and Savior Jesus Christ in the Temple.
      New-Martyr Jordan of Trebizond. Monk-Martyr Gabriel of
      Constantinople. "Softening of Evil hearts" Icon of the Mother of God.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Festal Troparion
      Festal Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      The Beatitudes: 8: 4 from Ode 3, and 4 from Ode 6 of the Feast

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for

      The firstborn of the Father before all ages has appeared from an
      undefiled Maiden as a firstborn child and He stretches out His hands
      to Adam.

      (Repeat) The firstborn of the Father before all ages has appeared
      from an undefiled Maiden as a firstborn child and He stretcheth out
      His hands to Adam.

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      That He might restore the first-formed man, who through beguilement
      had become childish in his mind, God the word has appeared as a child.

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      The Creator, having become a young child without undergoing change,
      has reshaped according to the form of His divinity our nature, taken
      from the earth and destined to return to earth once more.

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Thou hast been set up in Zion as a stumbling stone and rock of offense
      for the disobedient, but unto the faithful Thou art salvation which
      cannot be broken.

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      (Repeat) Thou hast been set up in Zion as a stumbling stone and rock
      of offense for the disobedient, but unto the faithful Thou art
      salvation which cannot be broken.

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Bearing faithfully the image of Him who begat Thee before all ages,
      Thou hast now from pity put on the weakness of mortal man.

      Now lettest Thou depart in peace him who worships Thee as Son of the
      Most High and Son of the Virgin, God become a child.

      AT THE SMALL ENTRANCE:

      The Lord hath made known His salvation, in the sight of the nations
      hath He revealed His righteousness.

      TROPARION AND KONTAKION

      Tone 1: Rejoice, thou who art full of grace, O Virgin Theotokos, /
      for from thee hath risen the Sun of Righteousness, Christ our God, /
      enlightening those in darkness. / Rejoice, thou also, O righteous
      Elder, / as thou receivest in thine arms the Redeemer of our souls, //
      Who also granteth unto us the Resurrection.

      Glory… Both now…

      Tone 1: Thou Who didst sanctify the Virgin’s womb by Thy birth, / and
      didst bless Symeon’s hands as was meet, / by anticipation didst even
      now save us, O Christ God. / But grant peace in the midst of wars unto
      Thy commonwealth, / and strengthen Orthodox Christians // whom Thou
      hast loved, O only Lover of mankind.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokeimenon in the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the
      Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.
      Reader: For He hath looked upon the lowliness of His handmaiden; for
      behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.
      Reader. My soul doth magnify the Lord
      Choir: and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Hebrews.

      [Hebrews 7:7-17, §316]: Brethren: Without all contradiction the less
      is blessed of the better. * And here men that die receive tithes; but
      there he receiveth them, of whom it is witnessed that he liveth. * And
      as I may so say, Levi also, who receiveth tithes, payed tithes in
      Abraham. * For he was yet in the loins of his father, when Melchizedek
      met him. * If therefore perfection were by the Levitical priesthood,
      (for under it the people received the law,) what further need was
      there that another priest should rise after the order of Melchizedek,
      and not be called after the order of Aaron? * For the priesthood being
      changed, there is made of necessity a change also of the law. * For he
      of whom these things are spoken pertaineth to another tribe, of which
      no man gave attendance at the altar. * For it is evident that our Lord
      sprang out of Juda; of which tribe Moses spake nothing concerning
      priesthood. * And it is yet far more evident: for that after the
      similitude of Melchizedek there ariseth another priest, * Who is made,
      not after the law of a carnal commandment, but after the power of an
      endless life. * For he testifieth, Thou art a priest for ever after
      the order of Melchizedek.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Now lettest Thou Thy servant depart in peace, O Master,
      according to Thy word.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: A light of revelation for the Gentiles, and the glory of Thy
      people Israel.

      [Luke 2:22-40,§7]: When the days of purification according to the law
      of Moses were accomplished, they brought Jesus to Jerusalem, to
      present him to the Lord; * (As it is written in the law of the LORD,
      Every male that openeth the womb shall be called holy to the Lord;) *
      And to offer a sacrifice according to that which is said in the law of
      the Lord, A pair of turtledoves, or two young pigeons. * And, behold,
      there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man
      was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the
      Holy Ghost was upon him. * And it was revealed unto him by the Holy
      Ghost, that he should not see death, before he had seen the Lord's
      Christ. * And he came by the Spirit into the temple: and when the
      parents brought in the child Jesus, to do for him after the custom of
      the law, * Then took he him up in his arms, and blessed God, and said,
      * Lord, now lettest thou thy servant depart in peace, according to thy
      word: * For mine eyes have seen thy salvation, * Which thou hast
      prepared before the face of all people; * A light to lighten the
      Gentiles, and the glory of thy people Israel. * And Joseph and his
      mother marvelled at those things which were spoken of him. * And
      Simeon blessed them, and said unto Mary his mother, Behold, this child
      is set for the fall and rising again of many in Israel; and for a sign
      which shall be spoken against; * (Yea, a sword shall pierce through
      thy own soul also,) that the thoughts of many hearts may be revealed.
      * And there was one Anna, a prophetess, the daughter of Phanuel, of
      the tribe of Aser: she was of a great age, and had lived with an