Short Antiphons, simple! Music for prison liturgies

  • Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 4, 2014

      With God helping us, I will start serving Divine Liturgy once a month in two different prisons.  For rather obvious reasons I have not sung the liturgy for years. The people that will be singing are for the most part  not musically literate  so it needs to be  very simple and also the liturgy needs to be short and snappy.

      I'm not going to take out any litanies  as is the fashion nowadays  as I think that's always a bad idea but I want to have shorter Antiphons. I'm not that familiar with the variations for daily liturgies. To be honest with you I don't really notice the antiphons when I'm serving liturgy.

      Can someone suggest simple musical arrangements for short Antiphons and parts of the liturgy where it is hard for me to sing,  such as during the Anaphora. If anybody is ambitious, and wants to sing a few things and send them to me that would be cool. My daughter can do it but she's about to have a baby so it would be better if I didn't tax her.

      I prefer  as the Russians  do it because I think the Greek style is sort of like passing through a one-stop light town; its over before you even begin.

      All the guys have a Jordanville prayer  so we're going use it for liturgy,  and mark the verses in the Antiphons we will sing.

      I serve next week.

      If you have a heart for prison ministry and want to give alms, our ministry can surely use them as our funds are being depleted and if I have to start paying out of my own pocket I have to work more and if I have to work more I don't have time for prison ministry!

      You can send checks to our church and make a note that it is for prison ministry. We have an account which is exclusively for prison ministry, it's not funded by our church since we're too small. I will  pray for all of our benefactors and their immediate family in the liturgy until I die.

      Priest  Seraphim  Holland seraphim@...
      St Nicholas Orthodox  Church,  McKinney TX
      http://www.orthodox.net

    • jyriluonila
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 6, 2014

        Dear father,

        is this melody simple enough for Your purposes?

        http://oca.org/PDF/Music/Liturgy/10-15.pdf

        The melody is in the tenor/bass, I think.

        This is the second antiphon. Don't know about the translation, however.

        Jyri Luonila

        Turku, Finland

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 7, 2014

          Dear /Fr Seraphim,

          In this sort of situation either prostopinije or Galician chant will serve well. The melodies are intended for congregational singing and can be rendered in one, two, three, or four parts depending on the abilities of the singers.

          As for the Russian / Greek contrast, I presume you mean the choice of typical psalms + beatitudes or the old cathedral antiphons. Beyond that, your “whistle-stop” characterization of the Greek option suggests that you have in mind the common abridgment that omits the psalm verses and sings only the refrains three times. In many Greek parishes (mine included) this has been corrected and verses are sung again; if this is done, the first two antiphons at least take about the same time as the abridged versions of the typical psalms sung in most parishes.

          However, there are three possible selections of verses for the cathedral antiphons:

          1.      Verses from Pss 92, 92, & 94, the enarxis psalms of the old Cathedral rite for Sundays and weekdays alike (only a few major feasts had their own special antiphons);

          2.      Verses from Pss. 65, 66, & 94; the first two taken from the Paschal Liturgy, to bring out the resurrection motif of Sunday and distinguish it from weekdays; this is the traditional practice of western and southwestern Rus’;

          3.      Verses from Pss 102 and 145,and 95, the first two from the Typical Psalms, a bow to their use with the beatitudes in the “other” option.

          If the Typical Psalms and Beatitudes are chosen, in the restricted circumstances of your celebrations it would be practical to sing the original refrain of the beatitudes, “Remember me, O Lord, when you come in your kingdom,” rather than whatever triparia of the canon of the day may be appointed.

          The anaphora chants etc .of the Galician and Carpatho-Rusyn traditions should also be useful in the conditions of these celebrations.