Old Calendar Choir Cues: Triodion 1, 27 January/9 February 2014

    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 3, 2014
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates the Divine
      Liturgy of St. John Chrysostom for the Sunday of the Publican and the
      Pharisee, together with the Sunday of the Holy New Martyrs and
      Confessors of Russia (Vigil-rank service). The outline for this Sunday
      is located in the Order of Divine Services at §3B1. Note: The service
      of St. John Chrysostom is chanted on January 25, combined with the
      service for St. Gregory the Theologian, or if the rector so directs,
      it could be chanted separately on January 26.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A
      reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for
      chanting according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      27 January/9 February 2014

      SUNDAY OF THE PUBLICAN AND THE PHARISEE (Triodion 1) -- Tone 8

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 2 Timothy 3:10-15 (§296)
      For the New Martyrs: Romans 8:28-39 (§99)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 18:10-14 (§89)
      For the New Martyrs: Luke 21:12-19 (§106)

      Sunday of the Publican and the Pharisee. Holy New Martyrs and
      Confessors of Russia (Vigil-rank service). Translation of the Relics
      of St. John Chrysostom, archbishop of Constantinople (Polyeleos-rank
      service - transferred to Friday, January 25). New Martyr Demetrius.
      Venerable Peter of Egypt. Venerable Titus the Soldier, of the Kiev
      Caves. Venerable Leontius the Archimandrite.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the New Martyrs
      Kontakion from the Triodion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the New Martyrs
      Kontakion of the New Martyrs

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes):
      12 Troparia: 4 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Triodion Canon;
      4 from the Saints (presumably also from Ode 3 - that is not indicated
      in the Liturgical Calendar)

      1.Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Remember us, O Christ, Thou Savior of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you
      both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been
      set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Savior, Thou didst deliver
      Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded
      that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou
      art compassionate.

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all
      the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after
      His suffering and resurrection.

      From the dung-hill of the passions the humble is lifted up on high,
      while the proud-hearted suffers a grievous fall from the height of the
      virtues: Let us flee from his evil ways.

      Vainglory brings to nothing the riches of righteousness, but humility
      scatters a multitude of passions. Grant then that we may seek
      humility, O Savior, and do Thou bestow upon us the portion of the
      Publican.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      As the Publican let us also beat our breast and cry out in
      compunction, “God be merciful unto us sinners”, that like him we may
      receive forgiveness.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye faithful, let us increase in zeal and meekness, and let us pass
      our days in humility, with cries of sorrow from our heart and weeping
      and prayer, that we may receive forgiveness from God.

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Remember, O Lord, the dreadful torments which the new passion-bearers
      suffered for Thee, who have now sprouted forth from our race; and
      accept their entreaties for our salvation.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O righteous Judge, Thou hast opened the kingdom of heaven unto the
      confessors of the Church of Russia. Hearken, O Lord, unto their
      righteousness, and give ear unto their supplication for the salvation
      of our souls.

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      O most divine Trinity, return us from our captivity! We know that sin
      hath increased in our land more than ever before; yet grace also hath
      shone forth in the struggle of the new saints, who also entreat Thee,
      O thrice-holy God, for the salvation of our souls.

      Gather the dispersed; raise up the faint-hearted; call them that have
      renounced the holy Faith and convert them, O gracious and all-pure
      Virgin Mary, entreating Christ the Savior, with the holy new martyrs
      and confessors, for the forgiveness and salvation of our souls.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O
      compassionate One; / to burial of three days hast Thou submitted /
      that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our Life and
      Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee.

      Troparion of the New Martyrs, Tone 4: O ye holy hierarchs, royal
      passion-bearers and pastors, / monks and laymen, men, women and
      children, / ye countless new-martyrs, confessors, / blossoms of the
      spiritual meadow of Russia, / who blossomed forth wondrously in time
      of grievous persecutions / bearing good fruit for Christ in your
      endurance: / Entreat Him, as the One that planted you, / that He
      deliver His people from godless and evil men, / and that the Church of
      Russia / be made steadfast through your blood and suffering, // unto
      the salvation of our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 8: Having risen from the tomb, Thou
      didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth
      at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine
      arising from the dead, O Greatly-merciful one.

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the New Martyrs, Tone 2: O ye new passion-bearers of
      Russia, / who have with your confession finished the course of this
      earth, / receiving boldness through your sufferings: / Beseech Christ
      Who strengthened you, / that we also, whenever the hour of trial find
      us / may receive the gift of courage from God. / For ye are a witness
      to us who venerate your struggle, / that neither tribulation, prison,
      nor death // can separate us from the love of God.

      Both now...

      Kontakion from the Triodion, Tone 3: Unto the Lord let us sinners
      offer groanings like those of the Publican / and let us fall down
      before Him, as He is Master. / For He desireth the salvation of all
      men; / He granteth forgiveness unto all that repent. / For our sake
      He became incarnate, // He who with the Father is co-unoriginate God.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them
      to the Lord our God.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are
      slain all the day long.
      Choir: For Thy sake, O Lord, we are slain all the day long.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to Timothy:

      [2 Timothy 3:10-15, §296]: Timothy, my son: Thou hast fully known my
      doctrine, manner of life, purpose, faith, longsuffering, charity,
      patience, * persecutions, afflictions, which came unto me at Antioch,
      at Iconium, at Lystra; what persecutions I endured: but out of them
      all the Lord delivered me. * Yea, and all that will live godly in
      Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution . * But evil men and seducers
      shall wax worse and worse, deceiving, and being deceived . * But
      continue thou in the things which thou hast learned and hast been
      assured of, knowing of whom thou hast learned them; * And that from a
      child thou hast known the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee
      wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus.

      [Romans 8:28-39 (§99)]: Brethren: We know that all things work
      together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called
      according to his purpose. * For whom he did foreknow, he also did
      predestine to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be
      the firstborn among many brethren. * Moreover whom he did predestine,
      them he also called: and whom he called, them he also justified: and
      whom he justified, them he also glorified. * What shall we then say to
      these things? If God be for us, who can be against us? * He that
      spared not his own Son, but delivered him up for us all, how shall he
      not with him also freely give us all things? * Who shall lay any thing
      to the charge of God's elect? It is God that justifieth. * Who is he
      that condemneth? It is Christ that died, yea rather, that is risen
      again, who is even at the right hand of God, who also maketh
      intercession for us. * Who shall separate us from the love of Christ?
      shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or
      nakedness, or peril, or sword? * As it is written, For thy sake we are
      killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter.
      * Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him
      that loved us. * For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor
      angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things
      to come, * Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be
      able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our
      Lord.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let
      us shout with jubilation unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and
      with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th tone: The righteous cried, and the Lord heard them,
      and He delivered them out of all their tribulations

      [Luke 18:10-14, §89]: The Lord spoke this parable: Two men went up
      into the temple to pray ; the one a Pharisee, and the other a
      publican. * The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, God, I
      thank thee, that I am not as other men are, extortioners, unjust,
      adulterers, or even as this publican. * I fast twice in the week, I
      give tithes of all that I possess . * And the publican, standing afar
      off, would not lift up so much as his eyes unto heaven, but smote upon
      his breast, saying , God be merciful to me a sinner. * I tell you,
      this man went down to his house justified rather than the other: for
      every one that exalteth himself shall be abased ; and he that humbleth
      himself shall be exalted .

      [Luke 21:12-19 (§106)]: The Lord said to His disciples: They shall
      lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the
      synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers
      for my name's sake. * And it shall turn to you for a testimony. *
      Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye
      shall answer: * For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your
      adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. * And ye shall be
      betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolks, and friends;
      and some of you shall they cause to be put to death. * And ye shall be
      hated of all men for my name's sake. * But there shall not an hair of
      your head perish. * In your patience possess ye your souls.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in
      the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!
    • dollpka
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 8, 2014

        I looked back through rubrics from several years past and never noticed that the Kontakion of the Resurrection is sung at Liturgy on this day, including one where this same coincidence of feasts occurred.  Is this a change for this year, or do I have incorrect notes from previous years?

        In Christ,

        Kenneth Doll