An error in the rubrics for this weekend

  • Fr. John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 24, 2014
      I mistakenly thought that the Kontakion "Ye fled from the tumult of the world..." was for the Martyrs Hermylus and Statonicus, however, this kontakion is for the MM of Sinai and Raithu. I have corrected the rubrics here: http://www.saintjonah.org/rub/rub_january13.htm

      and also corrected the Liturgy propers accordingly: http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/lit_january13.htm

      Presbyter John Whiteford
      St. Jonah Orthodox Church
      Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

      "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.
    • vrevjrs@...
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 24, 2014
        This is why I would recommend, even to those who do not speak Russian and do not see the need for a "foreign language", nevertheless to learn enough Slavonic to be able at least to consult service books and rubrics in Slavonic (or Greek or another traditional liturgical language).

        English, unlike Slavonic or Greek, has a largely fixed word order -- resulting in a great number of texts that begin with the same (or almost the same) opening words. That means texts that are easy to tell apart in those languages, are, on the contrary, easy to confuse in English.

        You don't have to *use* Slavonic in church, but being able to *consult books* in Slavonic, can be very handy...

        In Christ
        +Bishop Jerome