Old Calendar Choir Cues: 31 Pentecost and Sunday after Theophany, 13/26 January 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 20, 2014
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service
      for the Feast of Saints Hermylus and Stratonicus of Belgrade, together
      with the Afterfeast of Theophany (§1F1 in the Order of Divine
      Services). The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple
      dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to
      the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please send them to me as soon as possible at
      woolfolk3@..., so that corrected versions may be distributed in
      a timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from
      other sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and
      Gospel are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      13/26 January 2014

      31 PENTECOST AND AFTERFEAST OF THEOPHANY

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday after Theophany: Ephesians 4:7-13 (§224, from the midpoint)
      For the Sunday: I Timothy. 1:15-17 (§280, from the midpoint)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday after Theophany: Matthew 4:12-17 (§8)
      For the Sunday: Luke 18:35-43 (§93)

      Thirty-First Sunday after Pentecost. Afterfeast of Theophany; Martyrs
      Hermylus and Stratonicus of Belgrade. St. James, Bishop of Nisibis.
      Martyr Peter of Anium, at Hieropolis. Venerable Maximus of
      Capsokalibitus, Mt. Athos. Martyr Athanasius. Martyrs Pachomius and
      Papirinus. St. Agricius, Bishop of Trier. St. Leontius, bishop of
      Caesarea in Cappadocia. Venerable Eleazar of Anzersk Island, Solovki.
      Venerable Irenarchus, wonderworker of Rostov. Holy Fathers slain at
      Sinai and Raithu: Isaiah, Sabbas, Moses and his disciple Moses,
      Jeremiah, Paul, Adam, Sergius, Domnus, Proclus, Hypatius, Isaac,
      Macarius, Mark, Eusebius, Benjamin, Elias, and others with them
      (transferred from Jan. 14).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Martyrs
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Festal Troparion
      Festal Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes): 10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from
      Ode 8 of the Festal Canon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Savior, and save
      me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was
      the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of
      hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Savior: Glory to
      Thine arising!

      O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy
      resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art
      compassionate.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      The myrrh-bearing women who came to the tomb heard an angel cry out:
      Christ, Who hath enlightened all things is risen!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Together let us all hymn Christ, Who was nailed to the Cross and hath
      delivered the world from beguilement.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      “Put aside all fear,” the Deliverer said to the forerunner; “Obey Me,
      in that I am good, and touch Me, for this have I become by nature.
      Submit to My commands and baptize Me Who am come down.” Him do the
      people bless and exalt supremely for all ages.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      When the Baptist heard the words of the Master, he stretched forth his
      hand with trembling, and as he touched the head of his Creator he
      cried out to Him Who was being baptized: “Sanctify me, for Thou art my
      God, Whom the people bless and exalt supremely for all ages!”

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Sprinkled with dew in the midst of the fire, the three godly children
      plainly prefigured how the transcendent Nature, which is resplendent
      with most radiant rays of threefold holiness, doth, through human
      nature, mercifully consume all pernicious falsehood with the fire of
      dew.

      Let the whole of earthly creation be clothed in white, for this day it
      is raised up from its fall to heaven; and, washed and most splendidly
      cleansed in the flowing waters by the Word, by Whom all things are
      preserved, it hath escaped its former sins.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 6: Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, /
      and they that guarded Thee became as dead, / and Mary stood by the
      grave, / seeking Thine immaculate Body; / Thou didst despoil hades and
      wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant
      us life, / O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, // O Lord, glory be to
      Thee.

      Festal Troparion, Tone 1: When Thou, wast baptized in the Jordan, O
      Lord, / the worship of the Trinity was made manifest; / for the voice
      of the Father bare witness to Thee, / calling Thee His beloved Son. /
      And the Spirit in the form of a dove / confirmed the certainty of the
      word. / O Christ our God, Who hast appeared // and hast enlightened
      the world, glory be to Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Martyrs, Tone 4: In their sufferings O Lord, / Thy
      martyrs received imperishable crowns from Thee, our God; / for,
      possessed of Thy might, / they cast down the tormentors and set at
      naught the feeble audacity of the demons. // By their supplications
      save our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 6: Having by His life-bestowing hand /
      raised up all the dead out of the dark abysses, / Christ God, the
      Giver of Life, / hath bestowed the Resurrection upon the fallen human
      race; / for He is the Savior of all, // the Resurrection, and the
      Life, and the God of all.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the Martyrs, Tone 2: Ye fled from the tumult of the
      world / and have found rest in the calm haven, / crowned with the
      blood of martyrdom and ascetic labors. / Wherefore, ye have been shown
      to dwell // together with the martyrs and the venerable.

      Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 4: Thou hast appeared today unto the whole
      world, / and Thy light, O Lord, hath been signed upon us / who with
      knowledge chant unto Thee: / Thou hast come, Thou hast appeared, // O
      Light Unapproachable.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the
      Lord. God is the Lord, and hath appeared unto us.
      Choir: Blessed is he that cometh in the name of the Lord. God is the
      Lord, and hath appeared unto us.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Ephesians.

      [Ephesians 4:7-13 (§224, from the midpoint)]: Brethren: Unto every
      one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of
      Christ. * Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led
      captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men. * (Now that he ascended,
      what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of
      the earth? * He that descended is the same also that ascended up far
      above all heavens, that he might fill all things.) * And he gave some,
      apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors
      and teachers; * For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the
      ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ: * Till we all come
      in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
      unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of
      Christ:

      [I Timothy 1:15-17 (§280, from the midpoint)]: Timothy, my son: This
      is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptance, that Christ Jesus
      came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. * Howbeit for
      this cause I obtained mercy, that in me first Jesus Christ might shew
      forth all long-suffering, for a pattern to them which should hereafter
      believe on him to life everlasting. * Now unto the King eternal,
      immortal, invisible, the only wise God, be honour and glory for ever
      and ever. Amen.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 5th Tone: Of Thy mercies, O Lord, will I sing
      for ever. Unto generation will I declare Thy truth with my mouth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For Thou hast said: Mercy shall be built up for ever. In the
      heavens shall Thy truth be established.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring
      unto the Lord the sons of rams.

      [Matthew 4:12-17 (§8)]: At that time, when Jesus had heard that John
      was cast into prison, he departed into Galilee; * And leaving
      Nazareth, he came and dwelt in Capernaum, which is upon the sea coast,
      in the borders of Zabulon and Nephthalim: * That it might be fulfilled
      which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying, * The land of Zabulon,
      and the land of Nephthalim, by the way of the sea, beyond Jordan,
      Galilee of the Gentiles; * The people which sat in darkness saw great
      light; and to them which sat in the region and shadow of death light
      is sprung up. * From that time Jesus began to preach, and to say,
      Repent: for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.

      [Luke 18:35-43 (§93)]: At that time, as Jesus was come nigh unto
      Jericho, a certain blind man sat by the way side begging: * And
      hearing the multitude pass by, he asked what it meant. * And they told
      him, that Jesus of Nazareth passeth by. * And he cried, saying, Jesus,
      thou son of David, have mercy on me. * And they which went before
      rebuked him, that he should hold his peace: but he cried so much the
      more, Thou son of David, have mercy on me. * And Jesus stood, and
      commanded him to be brought unto him: and when he was come near, he
      asked him, * Saying, What wilt thou that I shall do unto thee? And he
      said, Lord, that I may receive my sight. * And Jesus said unto him,
      Receive thy sight: thy faith hath saved thee. * And immediately he
      received his sight, and followed him, glorifying God: and all the
      people, when they saw it, gave praise unto God.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Second Tone (Melody: In the deep of
      old...)

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, her who is more honorable than the host
      on high, the most pure Virgin Theotokos.

      Irmos: Every tongue is at a loss to praise thee as is due: / even a
      spirit from the world above is filled with dizziness, when it seeketh
      to sing thy praises, O Theotokos. / But since thou art good, accept
      our faith: / Thou knowest well our love inspired by God, / for thou
      art the Protector of Christians, and we magnify thee.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! The
      grace of God that bringeth salvation unto all men hath appeared.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!