Old Calendar Choir Cues: 24 Pentecost, 25 November/8 December 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Doxology-rank
      service for the Apodosis of the Entry into the Temple of the Most Holy
      Theotokos.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. The Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel
      are indicated by the sign § and the appropriate number. A reminder:
      The Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for chanting
      according to the book put together by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      25 November/8 December 2013

      TWENTY-FOURTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 7

      25 November / 8 December 2002

      Epistle
      For the Sunday: Ephesians 2:14-22 (§221)
      For the Feast: Hebrews 9:1-7 (§320)

      Gospel
      For the Sunday: Luke 8:41-56 (§71)
      For the Feast: Luke 10:38-42, 11:27-28 (§54)

      Twenty-Fourth Sunday after Pentecost. Apodosis of the Entry into the
      Temple of the Most Holy Theotokos. Hieromartyr Clement, Bishop of
      Rome. Hieromartyr Peter, Archbishop of Alexandria. Venerable Peter
      the Silent. Venerable Paphnutius. New-Hieromartyr Seraphim
      (Ostroumov), Archbishop of Smolensk (1937). New-Hieromartyrs
      Alexander Vershinskii, Andrei Shershnev, Vasiliy Pariiskii, Victor
      Smirnov, Gregory Voinov, John Tarasov, John Ianushev, Cosma Korotkyi,
      Yaroslav Savitskii, and martyr Paul Kuzovkov, at Butovo.

      Hours:

      At the Third Hour:
      Resurrectional Troparion
      Glory...;
      Troparion of the Feast
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:
      Resurrectional Troparion
      Glory...;
      Troparion of the Feast
      Kontakion of the Feast

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10 Troparia: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 9 of the Canon of the Feast

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is
      the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the
      thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast
      erased the record of Adam’s ancient sin, and hast saved the whole
      human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and
      Benefactor.

      Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by
      Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead
      from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

      The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the
      tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the
      world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all;
      and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again
      in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all.
      Glory to Thine arising!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His
      peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth
      saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, *
      and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

      O pure Theotokos, as thou hast the most radiant beauty of purity of
      soul and art full of the grace of God from heaven, with the
      ever-existent light thou dost ever enlighten them that cry out with
      joy: Truly thou art more highly exalted than all, O pure Virgin!

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Thy wonder doth surpass the power of words, O pure Theotokos, for in
      thee I perceive a body impervious to the movement of sin. Wherefore
      thankfully I cry out to thee: Truly thou art more highly exalted than
      all, O pure Virgin!

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      With hymns let us praise her who was a babe by nature and was
      supernaturally revealed as the Mother of God; for she is led unto the
      Lord in the temple of the law as the fragrance of sweet savor for the
      righteous, as the spiritual fruit of her righteous parents.

      O ye faithful, with the angel let us fittingly cry out to the
      Theotokos: “Rejoice!” Rejoice, O most comely Bride! Rejoice, O radiant
      cloud from whom the Lord hath shone forth upon us who sit in the
      darkness of ignorance! Rejoice, thou hope of all!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy
      Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief, / Thou didst change
      the lamentation of the myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine
      Apostles / to proclaim that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, // and
      grantest to the world great mercy.

      Festal Troparion, Tone 4: Today is the prelude of God’s good will /
      and the heralding of the salvation of mankind. / In the temple of God,
      the Virgin is presented openly, / and she proclaimeth Christ unto all.
      / To her, then, with a great voice let us cry aloud: / Rejoice, O thou
      fulfillment // of the Creator’s dispensation.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Clement, Tone 4: All-gloriously amazing all the ends
      of the world with divine miracles, / O sacred athlete, / in manner
      transcending nature / thou didst cause the substance of the waters of
      the sea to withdraw / on the day on thine honored memorial, / for
      those who ever earnestly had recourse to the church erected for thee
      by God / to shelter thy precious relics; / and after the people had
      returned, / thou didst miraculously cause the sea to return to the
      shore. / O all-wondrous Clement, // entreat Christ God, that our souls
      be saved.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer will the dominion of
      death / be able to keep men captive, / for Christ hath descended,
      demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; the
      prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Savior hath come for them
      that have faith! // Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection!

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of St. Clement, Tone 2: Thou hast been shown to all / as a
      branch of the divine vine arrayed in sanctity, / exuding the sweetness
      of wisdom with thy supplications, / O most honored and holy Clement, /
      that we may offer thee the noetic hymn, / like a woven robe of purple:
      // Save thou thy servants!

      Both now…

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 4: The most pure temple of the Savior, / the
      most precious bridal-chamber and Virgin, / the sacred treasury of the
      glory of God, / is on this day brought into the house of the Lord, /
      bringing with her the grace that is in the Divine Spirit. / And the
      angels of God chant praise unto her: // she is the heavenly
      tabernacle.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: The Lord will give strength
      unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring unto the Lord the
      sons of rams.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: In the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my
      spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in
      God my Savior.

      Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to the Ephesians.

      [Ephesians 2:14-22 (§221)]: Brethren: Christ Jesus is our peace, who
      hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition
      between us; * Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law
      of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of
      twain one new man, so making peace; * And that he might reconcile both
      unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby: *
      And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them
      that were nigh. * For through him we both have access by one Spirit
      unto the Father. * Now therefore ye are no more strangers and
      foreigners, but fellow citizens with the saints, and of the household
      of God; * And are built upon the foundation of the apostles and
      prophets, Jesus Christ himself being the chief corner stone; * In whom
      all the building fitly framed together groweth unto an holy temple in
      the Lord: * In whom ye also are builded together for an habitation of
      God through the Spirit.

      [Hebrews 9:1-7 (§320)]: Brethren: Then verily the first covenant had
      also ordinances of divine service, and a worldly sanctuary. * For
      there was a tabernacle made; the first, wherein was the candlestick,
      and the table, and the shewbread; which is called the sanctuary. * And
      after the second veil, the tabernacle which is called the Holiest of
      all; * Which had the golden censer, and the ark of the covenant
      overlaid round about with gold, wherein was the golden pot that had
      manna, and Aaron's rod that budded, and the tables of the covenant; *
      And over it the cherubims of glory shadowing the mercy seat; of which
      we cannot now speak particularly. * Now when these things were thus
      ordained, the priests went always into the first tabernacle,
      accomplishing the service of God. * But into the second went the high
      priest alone once every year, not without blood, which he offered for
      himself, and for the errors of the people:

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone: It is good to give praise unto the
      Lord, and to chant unto Thy name, O Most High.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 8th Tone: Hearken, O daughter, and see, and incline thine ear.

      [Luke 13:10-17 (§71)]: At that time, Jesus was teaching in one of the
      synagogues on the Sabbath. * And, behold, there was a woman which had
      a spirit of infirmity eighteen years, and was bowed together, and
      could in no wise lift up herself. * And when Jesus saw her, he called
      her to him, and said unto her, Woman, thou art loosed from thine
      infirmity. * And he laid his hands on her: and immediately she was
      made straight, and glorified God. * And the ruler of the synagogue
      answered with indignation, because that Jesus had healed on the
      Sabbath day, and said unto the people, There are six days in which men
      ought to work: in them therefore come and be healed, and not on the
      Sabbath day. * The Lord then answered him, and said, Thou hypocrite,
      doth not each one of you on the Sabbath loose his ox or his ass from
      the stall, and lead him away to watering? * And ought not this woman,
      being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen
      years, be loosed from this bond on the Sabbath day? * And when he had
      said these things, all his adversaries were ashamed: and all the
      people rejoiced for all the glorious things that were done by him.

      [Luke 10:38-42,11:27-28 (§54)]: At that time, it came to pass, as
      they went, that he entered into a certain village: and a certain woman
      named Martha received him into her house. * And she had a sister
      called Mary, which also sat at Jesus' feet, and heard his word. * But
      Martha was cumbered about much serving, and came to him, and said,
      Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?
      Bid her therefore that she help me. * And Jesus answered and said unto
      her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things:
      * But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part, which
      shall not be taken away from her. * And it came to pass, as he spake
      these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and
      said unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which
      thou hast sucked. * But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that
      hear the word of God, and keep it.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Fourth Tone ("Having crossed the Red Sea
      dry-shod..."):

      Refrain: The angels beholding the entry of the most pure one were
      struck with wonder, seeing how the Virgin entered into the Holy of
      Holies.

      Irmos: Let no profane hand touch the living Ark of God, / but let
      the lips of the faithful, chanting unceasingly the words of the angel
      to the Theotokos, cry out with joy: // Truly art thou high above all,
      O pure Virgin.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! I will take
      the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!