Prayer for the Feast of the Entry of the Theotokos

  • priestsergeialekseev
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 3, 2013

      I was looking for a prayer to be read in Englsih at the moleben at the end of the Liturgy on the Feast of the Entry of the Theotokos and could find nothing (I primarily was looking for an akathist which would have such a prayer). If anyone else was doing the same and with the same results, here is my attempt of translation of the prayer from Slavonic. It is not very poetic (my translation, that is), hence you might want to edit it a bit (yes, and my grammar should be double-checked).

       Prayer to the Most Holy Theotokos on the Feast of Her Entry into the Temple

      O Most Holy Virgin, Queen of Heaven and earth, who wast chosen from before the ages to be the Bride of God and who in the latter times didst come to the temple of the law to be betrothed to the Heavenly Bridegroom! Thou didst leave Thy people and the house of Thy father, in order to offer thyself as a pure and unblemished sacrifice to God, and Thou wast the first to give a vow of ever-virginity. Grant us to keep ourselves in chastity and purity and in the fear of God in all the days of our life, so that we would be temples of the Holy Spirit; moreover help to emulate Thee all those who live in monasteries and who have betrothed themselves to the service of God to spend their lives in purity of virginity and from their youth to carry the good and light yoke of Christ, keeping their vows as a precious treasure. O Most Pure One, Thou didst spend the days of Thy youth in the temple of the Lord far from the temptations of this world, in unceasing prayerful vigil and in strict abstinence both of soul and body; do Thou also help us to ward off all hostile temptations coming from the flesh, from the world and from the devil which attack us from our youth and to withstand them through prayer and fasting. Thou who didst abide in the temple of the Lord with the angels didst adorn Thyself with all virtues, foremost with humility, purity and love and didst grow up to be worthy to contain in the flesh the Uncontainable Word of God. Vouchsafe also us, who are possessed by pride, incontinence and laziness, to be clothed in every spiritual perfection, so that everyone of us could prepare with Thy help the wedding garment for our souls and the oil of good works, so that not naked and unready should we come to meet Our Immortal Bridegroom and Thy Son, Christ the Saviour and Our God, but that He would receive us with the wise virgins in the paradisiacal dwellings where together with all the saints Thou wouldst vouchsafe us to always glorify the All Holy Name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit along with Thy merciful intercession always, now and ever, and unto the ages of ages. Amen.