Re: Is there a reference that will tell you what "day of Luke"

  • Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 12, 2013

      "Father, it differs every year, of course. Last year the Sundays of and
      Weeks after Pentecost aligned perfectly with the Sundays of and Weeks of
      Luke. This year, however, they are three weeks apart. So yesterday (Sunday)
      was the 20th Sunday after Pentecost for the Epistle and the 23rd Sunday
      after Pentecost (the Sixth Sunday of Luke). Beginning today (Monday) we are
      following the Epistles for the 21st Week after Pentecost and the Gospels
      for the 24th Week after Pentecost (the Seventh Week of Luke)"

      Thank you. I know that. I still do not remember the math, but that is what calendars are for. I often write something or dictate something about what I am reading, and I need to be able to place it in the proper file. I name files by the gospel of Luke, or the gospel after Pentecost.

      for instance:
      pentecost-friday-10_2013-11-10+beatitudes-in-luke+learn-to-weep-to-have-joy_luke6-17-23
      sunday-of-luke-01_2011-2011-10-09+first-great-catch-of-fish-compared-with-the-second_luke5-1-11

      I want to take a reading, like Luke 5:1-11, and find out what "day of Luke" it is. Normally, we have a day, and we want to know the readings for that day. I want to do a "reverse lookup".

      While we are at it, I am not altogether sure if every "Gospel of Luke" has a corresponding "Day after Pentecost". Fr Nicholas probably  knows., but I am too simple to understand his explanations.

      --
      Priest Seraphim Holland
      seraphim@...  Cell:972 658-5433 Home:972 529-2754
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 12, 2013
        I believe the Gospel Book published by Etna has the Lukan readings identified as "First Sunday of Luke"... etc.

        Presbyter John Whiteford
        St. Jonah Orthodox Church
        Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
        Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

        "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 12, 2013
          Dear Father Seraphim,

          I attach a Word document with the texts of the Sunday Gospels indicating
          the Sundays of Luke along with the Sundays after Pentecost.

          In Christ,

          Fr David