Archangel Voices Releases "Panagia" CD

  • Vlad Morosan
    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 5, 2013
      Dear friends and colleagues,

      I'd like to let you know about Archangel Voices' new CD, "Panagia, Orthodox Hymns to the Mother of God"

      This CD draws upon the wealth of Orthodox hymnography for the Most Holy Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary. Included in the program are well-loved favorites such as “Beneath Your Compassion” and “My Queen Most Blessed,” special hymns from feasts of the Theotokos, selections from the Akathist Hymn, and hymns best described as “sacred concertos.” Also included is the beautiful Georgian Wedding Hymn “O Vineyard, Fair and New,” with its original text accurately adapted into English for the first time, and a Theotokos “carol,” entitled “We Learn from the Angel.”

      The 30 tracks on the Panagia CD represent a rich and varied liturgical repertoire. Featured are compositions and chant arrangements by well-known Russian composers—Bortniansky, Chesnokov, Kastalsky, Lvovsky, Nikolsky, and Yaichkov, as well as new works by American Orthodox composers Cecil A. Bailey, Vladimir Morosan, Kurt Sander, Richard Toensing, and Nazo Zakkak. Several chant traditions are represented, including Byzantine, Kievan, and Russian znamenny. All the works were either composed in English or adapted to English for the purposes of this recording. Archangel Voices, based in New England, was established in 2003 for the purpose of creating high-quality recordings of Orthodox liturgical music in the English language, and this is our sixth release.

      The 77-minute CD retails for $18.98, and volume discounts for bookstores and church kiosks are available. For a complete track listing, sound clips, and ordering information, please, visit www.archangelvoices.com or call 1-800-326-3132.

      I hope you'll check it out. I think you'll enjoy it.

      Vlad Morosan