CORRECTION: Old Calendar Choir Cues: 20 Pentecost, 28 October/10 November 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 4, 2013
      I have been advised that the Epistle/Gospel listing at the head of the
      Cues is incorrect. Herewith are the corrected Cues.

      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank
      service for St. Job of Pochaev (§1D in the Order of Divine Services -
      GIVEN HERE). Or, if the rector so directs, a double service (§1B) may
      be served for Martyrs Terence and Neonilla and St. Stephen the
      Sabbaite (NOT GIVEN HERE), or a Doxology-rank service (1C) for the
      Great-Martyr Parasceva (ALSO NOT GIVEN HERE). If your rector plans to
      serve Liturgy for either of these feasts, please consult with him.

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. If you have corrections,
      please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure that all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please
      note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and
      the appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      28 October/10 November 2013

      TWENTIETH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 3

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: Galatians 1:11-19 (§200)
      For St. Job: Galatians 5:22-6:2 (§213)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 8:26-39 (§38)
      For St. Job: Luke 6:17-23 (§24)

      Twentieth Sunday after Pentecost. Martyrs Terence and Neonilla of
      Syria, with their children: Sarbelus, Photus, Theodulus, Hierax,
      Nitus, Bele, and Eunice. Great-Martyr Parasceva, (Piatnitsa or
      Friday) of Iconium (Doxology-rank service). Martyrs Africanus,
      Terence, Maximus and Pompius at Carthage. Hieromartyr Cyriacus,
      Patriarch of Jerusalem, and his mother, Martyr Anna. Hieromartyr
      Neophytus, Bishop of Urbnisi, Georgia. Venerable John the Chozebite,
      Bishop of Caesarea in Palestine. Venerable Stephen the Hymnographer
      of St. Sabbas Monastery. St. Arsenius, Archbishop of Serbia
      (Doxology-rank service). Venerable Fermilian, Archbishop of Caesarea
      in Cappadocia. Venerable Malchion, Priest of Antioch.
      Right-believing Febronia, daughter of Emperor Heraclius. St.
      Demetrius, Metropolitan of Rostov (Polyeleos-rank service). Venerable
      Job, Abbot and Wonder-worker of Pochaev (Polyeleos-rank service).
      Blessed Theophilus of Kiev, fool-for-Christ. New-Hieromartyr
      Constantine, Metropolitan of Kiev. New-Hieromartyr Mikhail Lektorskii
      (1920).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of St. Job
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of St. Job
      Kontakion of St. Job

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)

      Beatitudes on 10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of St. Job

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      From paradise didst Thou drive our forefather Adam, who had broken Thy
      commandment, O Christ; but, O Compassionate One, Thou didst cause to
      dwell therein the thief who confessed Thee on the cross, crying out:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      With the curse of death didst Thou condemn us who had sinned, O Lord,
      Bestower of life; yet having suffered in Thy flesh, O sinless Master,
      Thou hast granted life unto mortals who cry out: Remember us also in
      Thy kingdom!

      In rising from the dead, Thou hast raised us up from the passions with
      Thyself through Thy resurrection, O Lord; and all the power of death
      hast Thou destroyed, O Savior. Wherefore, with faith we cry out to
      Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      O Thou who as God grantest life, by Thy three days in the tomb Thou
      didst raise up with Thyself the dead in hell, and as One Who is good
      Thou hast poured forth incorruption upon all of us who with faith ever
      cry out: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Risen from the dead, O Savior, Thou didst first appear to the
      myrrh-bearing women, crying out: Rejoice! and through them Thou didst
      announce Thy resurrection to Thy friends, O Christ. Wherefore, with
      faith we cry out to Thee, Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Moses, stretching out his arms on the mountain, prefigured the Cross
      and thus conquered Amelek. And, receiving it with faith as a mighty
      weapon against the demons, we all cry out: Remember us also in Thy
      kingdom!

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      O venerable father, there is within me a desire for good reformation,
      but, Woe is me! I have not learned to over come the temptations of
      slothfulness. Yet, trusting in thine aid, I ward off the thoughts of
      despondency and direct my gaze at thy glorious struggles.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Zhelezo was thy family called, a name which signifieth iron,
      portending the firmness of thy soul; yet, having shut thyself up in a
      cave of stone like hidden gold, thou didst sanctify the place of thy
      struggles and didst show the mount of Pochaev to be a brazen rampart
      against the enemies of Orthodoxy.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Exceeding deep went thy thoughts of the kingdom of heaven, when, while
      yet a child, thou didst receive the angelic habit. Wherefore, having
      been a faithful priest of God, thou dost even now offer up entreaties
      in behalf of the people, O venerable Job.

      Raise up my deadened mind through the power of life which hath been
      manifest to the world through thee, O pure one, and guide it to life,
      O thou that alone hath cast down the gates of death by thy
      birthgiving.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 3: Let the heavens be glad, / let
      earthly things rejoice; / for the Lord hath wrought might with His
      arm, / He hath trampled down death by death; / the firstborn of the
      dead hath He become. / From the belly of hades / hath He delivered us,
      // and hath granted to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Tone 4: Acquiring the patient endurance of the long-suffering
      forefather, / emulating the asceticism of the Baptist, / and sharing
      in the divine zeal of both, / thou wast vouchsafed worthily to receive
      their names, / and wast a fearless preacher of the true Faith. /
      Wherefore, thou didst lead a multitude of monks to Christ, / and didst
      confirm all the people in Orthodoxy. / O Job our venerable father, //
      pray thou that our souls be saved.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 3: Thou didst rise today from the
      tomb, O Merciful One, / and didst lead us out of the gates of death. /
      Today Adam danceth and Eve rejoiceth; / and together with them both,
      the Prophets and the Patriarchs // unceasingly praise the divine might
      of Thine authority.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Kontakion of St. Job, Tone 4: Thou wast shown to be a pillar of the
      true Faith, / a zealot of the commandments of the Gospel, / the
      reproof of pride, / and an intercessor and instructor for the lowly. /
      Wherefore, beg thou forgiveness of sins for those who bless thee, /
      and preserve thy monastery unharmed, O Job our father, // who art like
      unto the long-suffering one of old.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: O chant unto our God, chant
      ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: Clap your hands, all ye nations; shout unto God with a voice
      of rejoicing.
      Choir: O chant unto our God, chant ye; chant unto our King, chant ye.
      Reader: In the 7th Tone: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the
      death of His saints.
      Choir: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Galatians.

      [Galatians 1:11-19 (§200)]: Brethren: I certify you, that the gospel
      which was preached of me is not after man. * For I neither received it
      of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus
      Christ. * For ye have heard of my conversation in time past in the
      Jews' religion, how that beyond measure I persecuted the church of
      God, and wasted it: * And profited in the Jews' religion above many my
      equals in mine own nation, being more exceedingly zealous of the
      traditions of my fathers. * But when it pleased God, who separated me
      from my mother's womb, and called me by his grace, * To reveal his Son
      in me, that I might preach him among the heathen; immediately I
      conferred not with flesh and blood: * Neither went I up to Jerusalem
      to them which were apostles before me; but I went into Arabia, and
      returned again unto Damascus. * Then after three years I went up to
      Jerusalem to see Peter, and abode with him fifteen days. * But other
      of the apostles saw I none, save James the Lord's brother.

      [Galatians 5:22-6:2 (§213)]: Brethren: The fruit of the Spirit is
      love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, *
      Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law. * And they that
      are Christ's have crucified the flesh with the affections and lusts. *
      If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit. * Let us not
      be desirous of vain glory, provoking one another, envying one another.
      * Brethren, if a man be overtaken in a fault, ye which are spiritual,
      restore such an one in the spirit of meekness; considering thyself,
      lest thou also be tempted. * Bear ye one another's burdens, and so
      fulfill the law of Christ.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 3rd Tone: In Thee, O Lord, have I hoped, let
      me not be put to shame in the age to come.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Be Thou unto me a God to defend me and a house of refuge to save me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 8th Tone: Blessed is the man that feareth the Lord, in
      His commandments shall he greatly delight.

      [Luke 8:26-39 (§38): At that time, they arrived at the country of the
      Gadarenes, which is over against Galilee. * And when he went forth to
      land, there met him out of the city a certain man, which had devils
      long time, and ware no clothes, neither abode in any house, but in the
      tombs. * When he saw Jesus, he cried out, and fell down before him,
      and with a loud voice said, What have I to do with thee, Jesus, thou
      Son of God most high? I beseech thee, torment me not. * (For he had
      commanded the unclean spirit to come out of the man. For oftentimes it
      had caught him: and he was kept bound with chains and in fetters; and
      he brake the bands, and was driven of the devil into the wilderness.)
      * And Jesus asked him, saying, What is thy name? And he said, Legion:
      because many devils were entered into him. * And they besought him
      that he would not command them to go out into the deep. * And there
      was there an herd of many swine feeding on the mountain: and they
      besought him that he would suffer them to enter into them. And he
      suffered them. * Then went the devils out of the man, and entered into
      the swine: and the herd ran violently down a steep place into the
      lake, and were choked. * When they that fed them saw what was done,
      they fled, and went and told it in the city and in the country. * Then
      they went out to see what was done; and came to Jesus, and found the
      man, out of whom the devils were departed, sitting at the feet of
      Jesus, clothed, and in his right mind: and they were afraid. * They
      also which saw it told them by what means he that was possessed of the
      devils was healed. * Then the whole multitude of the country of the
      Gadarenes round about besought him to depart from them; for they were
      taken with great fear: and he went up into the ship, and returned back
      again. * Now the man out of whom the devils were departed besought him
      that he might be with him: but Jesus sent him away, saying, * Return
      to thine own house, and shew how great things God hath done unto thee.
      And he went his way, and published throughout the whole city how great
      things Jesus had done unto him.

      [Luke 6:17-23 (§24)]: At that time, Jesus came down with them, and
      stood in the plain, and the company of his disciples, and a great
      multitude of people out of all Judaea and Jerusalem, and from the sea
      coast of Tyre and Sidon, which came to hear him, and to be healed of
      their diseases; * And they that were vexed with unclean spirits: and
      they were healed. * And the whole multitude sought to touch him: for
      there went virtue out of him, and healed them all. * And he lifted up
      his eyes on his disciples, and said, Blessed be ye poor: for yours is
      the kingdom of God. * Blessed are ye that hunger now: for ye shall be
      filled. Blessed are ye that weep now: for ye shall laugh. * Blessed
      are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you from
      their company, and shall reproach you, and cast out your name as evil,
      for the Son of man's sake. * Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy:
      for, behold, your reward is great in heaven: for in the like manner
      did their fathers unto the prophets.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Praise the
      Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In everlasting
      remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid of evil
      tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!