Old Calendar Choir Cues: 18 Pentecost, 14/27 October 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 21, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Polyeleos-rank
      service for the Holy Fathers of the Seventh Ecumenical Council (§1D in
      the Order of Divine Services).

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. If you have corrections,
      please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure that all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please
      note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and
      the appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      14/27 October 2013

      EIGHTTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 1

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 2 Corinthians 9:6-11 (§188)
      For the Fathers: Hebrews 13:7-16 (§334)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 8:5-15 (§35)
      For the Fathers: John 17:1-13 (§56)

      Eighteenth Sunday after Pentecost. Holy Fathers of the Seventh
      Ecumenical Council (Polyeleos-rank service). Martyrs Nazarius,
      Gervase, Protase, and Celsus of Milan. Hieromartyr Silvanus, Priest
      of Gaza. Venerable Parasceva of Serbia (Six-Stichera-rank service).
      Venerable Nikola Sviatosha, Prince of Chernigov. St. Ignatius,
      Arch-bishop of Mithymna. "Yakhroma" Icon of the Mother of God.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Fathers
      Kontakion of the Fathers

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Fathers
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)

      Beatitudes on 10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Fathers

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Through food did the enemy lead Adam forth from paradise; but by the
      Cross hath Christ led back to it the thief who cried: Remember me
      when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      With Adam and the thief I worship Thy sufferings and glorify Thy
      resurrection; and I cry out with a splendid voice: Remember me, O
      Lord, when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      O Sinless One, of Thine own will Thou wast crucified and placed in the
      Tomb, yet Thou didst arise as God, raising up with Thyself Adam who
      crieth out: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      Raising up the temple of Thy body by Thy resurrection on the third
      day, O Christ God, Thou didst raise up Adam and his descendants who
      cry: Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Very early, the myrrh-bearing women arrived, weeping, at Thy tomb, O
      Christ God; and they found an angel sitting there, clad in white
      garments, who said: What seek ye? Christ is risen! Lament no longer!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      When Thine apostles went to the mountain whither Thou hadst commanded
      them to go, and saw Thee, O Savior, they worshipped Thee; and Thou
      didst send them unto the nations, to teach and baptize them.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Initiated into the mysteries by Christ, the divine chief shepherds
      drove away from the pious the parties of Antichrist, who wished to
      trouble the Church of Christ, that it not be shaken.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      The Company of the fathers, drawing forth streams of teaching from the
      wellsprings of salvation, give the thirsting people of Christ to drink
      thereof, and wash away the turbid streams of filth.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The Seventh Council of the Christ-loving, whose defenders were the
      imperial Irene and Constantine, was held in the splendid city of
      Nicaea against those who of a truth accused Christians and brought
      them to trial.

      Let all the ungodly depart who do not venerate the precious icon of
      the Theotokos and do not proclaim her to be the one who gave birth to
      Christ theandrically; and let them be sent into the fire, to burn
      without being consumed.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 1: When the stone had been sealed by
      the Jews, / and the soldiers were guarding Thine immaculate Body, /
      Thou didst rise on the third day, O Savior, / granting life unto the
      world. / Wherefore, the hosts of the Heavens cried out to Thee, O
      Life-Giver: / Glory to Thy Resurrection, O Christ! / Glory to Thy
      Kingdom! // Glory to Thy dispensation, O only Lover of mankind!

      Troparion of the Fathers, Tone 8: Most glorified art Thou, O Christ
      our God, / Who hast established our holy fathers as luminous stars
      upon the earth, / and through them didst guide us all to the true
      Faith. // O Most merciful One, glory be to Thee.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 1: As God, Thou didst rise from the
      tomb in glory, / and Thou didst raise the world together with Thyself.
      / And mortal nature praiseth Thee as God, / and death hath vanished. /
      And Adam danceth, O Master, / and Eve, now freed from fetters,
      rejoiceth as she crieth out: / Thou art He, O Christ, // that grantest
      unto all Resurrection.

      Glory…

      Kontakion of the Fathers, Tone 6: The Son Who shined forth from the
      Father ineffably was born, / twofold of nature, of a woman. / Knowing
      Him, we deny not the image of His form; / but depicting it piously, we
      revere it faithfully. / And for this cause, the Church, in that it
      holdeth the true faith, // doth kiss the icon of Christ’s incarnation.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 1st Tone: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be
      upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: Rejoice in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Choir: Let Thy mercy, O Lord, be upon us, according as we have hoped in Thee.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our
      fathers, and praised and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.
      Choir: Blessed art Thou, O Lord, the God of our fathers, and praised
      and glorified is Thy name unto the ages.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Galatians.

      [2 Corinthians 9:6-11 (§188)]: Brethren: He which soweth sparingly
      shall reap also sparingly; and he which soweth bountifully shall reap
      also bountifully. * Every man according as he purposeth in his heart,
      so let him give; not grudgingly, or of necessity: for God loveth a
      cheerful giver. * And God is able to make all grace abound toward you;
      that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to
      every good work: * (As it is written, He hath dispersed abroad; he
      hath given to the poor: his righteousness remaineth for ever. * Now
      he that ministereth seed to the sower both minister bread for your
      food, and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your
      righteousness;) * Being enriched in every thing to all bountifulness,
      which causeth through us thanksgiving to God.

      [Hebrews 13:7-16 (§334)]: Brethren: Remember them which have the
      rule over you, who have spoken unto you the word of God: whose faith
      follow, considering the end of their conversation. * Jesus Christ the
      same yesterday, and to day, and for ever. * Be not carried about with
      divers and strange doctrines. For it is a good thing that the heart be
      established with grace; not with meats, which have not profited them
      that have been occupied therein. * We have an altar, whereof they have
      no right to eat which serve the tabernacle. * For the bodies of those
      beasts, whose blood is brought into the sanctuary by the high priest
      for sin, are burned without the camp. * Wherefore Jesus also, that he
      might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the
      gate. * Let us go forth therefore unto him without the camp, bearing
      his reproach. * For here have we no continuing city, but we seek one
      to come. * By him therefore let us offer the sacrifice of praise to
      God continually, that is, the fruit of our lips giving thanks to his
      name. * But to do good and to communicate forget not: for with such
      sacrifices God is well pleased.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: O God who givest avengement unto me
      and hast subdued people under me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: It is He that magnifieth the salvation of His king and
      worketh mercy for His anointed, for David and for His seed unto
      eternity.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: The God of gods, the Lord hath spoken, and He hath called
      the earth from the rising of the sun unto the setting thereof.

      [Luke 8:5-15 (§35)]: The Lord spoke this parable: A sower went out
      to sow his seed: and as he sowed, some fell by the way side; and it
      was trodden down, and the fowls of the air devoured it. * And some
      fell upon a rock; and as soon as it was sprung up, it withered away,
      because it lacked moisture. * And some fell among thorns; and the
      thorns sprang up with it, and choked it. * And other fell on good
      ground, and sprang up, and bare fruit an hundredfold. And when he had
      said these things, he cried, He that hath ears to hear, let him hear.
      * And his disciples asked him, saying, What might this parable be? *
      And he said, Unto you it is given to know the mysteries of the kingdom
      of God: but to others in parables; that seeing they might not see, and
      hearing they might not understand. * Now the parable is this: The
      seed is the word of God. * Those by the way side are they that hear;
      then cometh the devil, and taketh away the word out of their hearts,
      lest they should believe and be saved. * They on the rock are they,
      which, when they hear, receive the word with joy; and these have no
      root, which for a while believe, and in time of temptation fall away.
      * And that which fell among thorns are they, which, when they have
      heard, go forth, and are choked with cares and riches and pleasures of
      this life, and bring no fruit to perfection. * But that on the good
      ground are they, which in an honest and good heart, having heard the
      word, keep it, and bring forth fruit with patience.

      [John 17:1-13 (§56)]: These words spake Jesus, lifting up his eyes to
      heaven: Father, the hour is come; glorify thy Son, that thy Son also
      may glorify thee: * As thou hast given him power over all flesh, that
      he should give eternal life to as many as thou hast given him. * And
      this is life eternal, that they might know thee the only true God, and
      Jesus Christ, whom thou hast sent. * I have glorified thee on the
      earth: I have finished the work which thou gavest me to do. * And now,
      O Father, glorify thou me with thine own self with the glory which I
      had with thee before the world was. * I have manifested thy name unto
      the men which thou gavest me out of the world: thine they were, and
      thou gavest them me; and they have kept thy word. * Now they have
      known that all things whatsoever thou hast given me are of thee. * For
      I have given unto them the words which thou gavest me; and they have
      received them, and have known surely that I came out from thee, and
      they have believed that thou didst send me. * I pray for them: I pray
      not for the world, but for them which thou hast given me; for they are
      thine. * And all mine are thine, and thine are mine; and I am
      glorified in them. * And now I am no more in the world, but these are
      in the world, and I come to thee. Holy Father, keep through thine own
      name those whom thou hast given me, that they may be one, as we are. *
      While I was with them in the world, I kept them in thy name: those
      that thou gavest me I have kept, and none of them is lost, but the son
      of perdition; that the scripture might be fulfilled. * And now come I
      to thee; and these things I speak in the world, that they might have
      my joy fulfilled in themselves.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord in the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice in
      the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia!
      Alleluia! Alleluia!