Old Calendar Choir Cues: 17 Pentecost, 7/20 October 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 14, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Six-Stichera
      service for the Martyrs Sergius and Bacchus in Syria (§1C in the Order
      of Divine Services - given here). Or, if the rector so direct, a
      Polyeleos-rank service may be served for St. Jonah, Bishop of Hankou,
      Manchuria (1925) (§1D in the Order of Divine Services - NOT given

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. If you have corrections,
      please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure that all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please
      note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and
      the appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      7/20 October 2013

      For the Sunday: Galatians 2:16-20 (§203)
      For the Martyrs: Hebrews 11:33-12:2 (§330)

      For the Sunday: Luke 7:11-16 (§30)
      For the Martyrs: Luke 21:12-19 (§106)

      Seventeenth Sunday after Pentecost. Martyrs Sergius and Bacchus in
      Syria (Six-Stichera-rank service). Martyrs Julian the Priest and
      Caesarius the Deacon. Martyr Eusebius the Priest and Felix. Martyr
      Polychronius the Priest. Martyr Pelagia of Tarsus. St. Mark, Pope of
      Rome. St. Eumenius, Bishop of Alexandria. Venerable Mark of Egypt.
      Venerable Sergius of Nurma. Venerable Sergius the Obedient of the
      Kiev Caves. Finding of the relics of Venerable Martinian, Abbot of
      Belozersk. Venerable Joseph of Khevi, wonder-worker of Georgia. St.
      Jonah, Bishop of Hankou, Manchuria (1925).

      At all Hours:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of the Martyrs
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)

      Beatitudes on 10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of
      the Martyrs.

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember us, O Christ, Thou Savior of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you
      both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been
      set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

      Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Savior, Thou didst deliver
      Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded
      that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou
      art compassionate.

      Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all
      the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after
      His suffering and resurrection.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the
      resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad
      tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to be
      enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He
      intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      He Who, as God, alone knew all things before they came into being,
      seeing now your offerings to Him, hath filled you abundantly with the
      wisdom of discourse, divine knowledge and steadfast thought, for ye
      are His warriors, O blessed ones.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      O martyred athletes, favorites of Christ, wishing to suffer lawfully,
      with love for the Creator and divinely wise mind ye spurned
      corruptible and transitory glory, this world and the prince thereof.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Standing before the Lord in the all-pure thoughts of your mind, and
      filled thence with splendor, and manifestly delighting in ineffable
      blessedness, deliver from dangers those who honor you, O athletes.

      Adam, the first to come under the dominion of death, hath now been
      delivered by thy birthgiving, O only Bride of God; for in manner
      transcending nature thou gavest birth to the truly hypostatic Life
      united to the flesh hypostatically, O pure one.

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O
      Compassionate One. / To burial of three days hast Thou submitted, /
      that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our life and
      Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee!

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Martyrs, Tone 4: In their sufferings O Lord, / Thy
      martyrs received imperishable crowns from Thee, our God; / for,
      possessed of Thy might, / they cast down the tormentors and set at
      naught the feeble audacity of the demons. // By their supplications
      save our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 8: Having risen from the tomb, Thou
      didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth
      at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine
      arising from the dead, O greatly Merciful One.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of the Martyrs, Tone 2: Manfully arming your mind against
      the enemy, O most lauded martyrs, / ye destroyed all their falsehood,
      / receiving the trophy of victory from on high, / and crying out with
      oneness of mind: // How good and joyous it is to be with God!

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them
      to the Lord our God.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 4th Tone: In the saints that are in His
      earth hath the Lord been wondrous; He hath wrought all His desires in
      Choir: In the saints that are in His earth hath the Lord been
      wondrous; He hath wrought all His desires in them.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to the Corinthians.

      [2 Corinthians 6:16-7:1 (§182, from the midpoint)]: Brethren: What
      agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of
      the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in
      them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. *
      Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the
      Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you. * And
      will be a Father unto you, and ye shall be my sons and daughters,
      saith the Lord Almighty. * Having therefore these promises, dearly
      beloved, let us cleanse ourselves from all filthiness of the flesh and
      spirit, perfecting holiness in the fear of God.

      [Hebrews 11:33-12:2 (§330)]: Brethren: All the saints through faith
      subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped
      the mouths of lions, * Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge
      of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in
      fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens. * Women received
      their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not
      accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection: *
      And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover
      of bonds and imprisonment: * They were stoned, they were sawn asunder,
      were tempted, were slain with the sword: they wandered about in
      sheepskins and goatskins; being destitute, afflicted, tormented; * (Of
      whom the world was not worthy:) they wandered in deserts, and in
      mountains, and in dens and caves of the earth. * And these all, having
      obtained a good report through faith, received not the promise: * God
      having provided some better thing for us, that they without us should
      not be made perfect. * Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about
      with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight,
      and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with
      patience the race that is set before us, * Looking unto Jesus the
      author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before
      him endured
      the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of
      the throne of God.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let
      us shout with jubilation unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and
      with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 2nd tone: Behold now, what is so good or so joyous as
      for brethren to dwell together in unity?
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Luke 7:11-16 (§30)]: At that time, Jesus went into a city called
      Nain; and many of his disciples went with him, and much people. * Now
      when he came nigh to the gate of the city, behold, there was a dead
      man carried out, the only son of his mother, and she was a widow: and
      much people of the city was with her. * And when the Lord saw her, he
      had compassion on her, and said unto her, Weep not. * And he came and
      touched the bier: and they that bare him stood still. And he said,
      Young man, I say unto thee, Arise. * And he that was dead sat up, and
      began to speak. And he delivered him to his mother. * And there came a
      fear on all: and they glorified God, saying, That a great prophet is
      risen up among us; and, That God hath visited his people.

      [Luke 21:12-19 (§106)]: The Lord said to His disciples: They shall
      lay their hands on you, and persecute you, delivering you up to the
      synagogues, and into prisons, being brought before kings and rulers
      for my name's sake. * And it shall turn to you for a testimony. *
      Settle it therefore in your hearts, not to meditate before what ye
      shall answer: * For I will give you a mouth and wisdom, which all your
      adversaries shall not be able to gainsay nor resist. * And ye shall be
      betrayed both by parents, and brethren, and kinsfolk, and friends; and
      some of you shall they cause to be put to death. * And ye shall be
      hated of all men for my name's sake. * But there shall not an hair of
      your head perish. * In your patience possess ye your souls.

      It is truly meet...

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice
      in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!