Old Calendar Choir Cues: 16 Pentecost, 30 September/13 October 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 9, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Six-Stichera
      service for Hieromartyr Gregory, enlightener of Greater Armenia (§1C
      in the Order of Divine Services - given here). Or, if the rector so
      direct, a Polyeleos-rank service may be served for St. Michael, First
      Metropolitan of Kiev (§1D in the Order of Divine Services - NOT given

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. If you have corrections,
      please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure that all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please
      note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own. The
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign § and
      the appropriate number. A reminder: The Resurrectional Troparion and
      Kontakion are pointed for chanting according to the book put together
      by Dr. Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      30 September/13 October 2013

      For the Sunday: 2 Corinthians 6:1-10 (§181)
      For St. Gregory: 1 Corinthians 16:13-24 (§166)

      For the Sunday: Luke 6:31-36 (§26)
      For St. Gregory: Matthew 24:42-47 (§103)

      Sixteenth Sunday after Pentecost. Hieromartyr Gregory, enlightener of
      Greater Armenia. Martyrs Rhipsima and Gaiana, and 33 virgins with
      them, in Armenia. St. Michael, first Metropolitan of Kiev (992)
      (Polyeleos-rank service). Venerable Gregory, Abbot of Pelshme,
      Vologda (Doxology-rank service). St. Meletius, Patriarch of
      Alexandria. New-Hieromartyr Seraphim. New-Hieromartyrs Basil Gur'ev,
      Viacheslav Zankov, Peter Pushkinskii, Peter Soloviev, Symeon Lil'ev,
      Nun-Martyr Alexandra (Cherviakova), Martyrs Alexei Serebrennikov,
      Matthew Solov'ev, and Appolinaria Tupitsina, at Butovo.

      At all Hours:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of the Hieromartyr
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)

      Beatitudes on 10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of
      St. Gregory.

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      The fruit which slew me was beautiful and good to eat; but Christ is
      the Tree of life, and eating of Him I do not die, but cry out with the
      thief: Remember me, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Compassionate One, Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Thou hast
      erased the record of Adam's ancient sin, and hast saved the whole
      human race from deception. Wherefore, we hymn Thee, O Lord and

      Thou didst nail our sins to the Cross, O compassionate Christ, and by
      Thy death Thou didst slay death, O Thou who didst raise up the dead
      from among the dead. Wherefore, we worship Thy holy resurrection.

      The serpent once poured its venom into the ears of Eve; but on the
      tree of the Cross, Christ poured forth the sweetness of life upon the
      world. Wherefore, we cry out: Remember us, O Lord, in Thy kingdom!

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Thou wast laid in the tomb as one dead, O Christ, Thou Life of all;
      and Thou didst break down the gates of hades; and having risen again
      in glory on the third day as One mighty, Thou hast illumined all.
      Glory to Thine arising!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Having risen from the dead on the third day, the Lord bestowed His
      peace upon His disciples; and having blessed them, He sent them forth
      saying: Lead all into My kingdom!

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      With the wounds of thy struggles thou didst break the teeth of the
      lions, and, inundating the blood of the demons with the outpourings of
      thy blood, thou dost cast down the temples of the idols from the
      foundation, O right wondrous one.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Neither the oppression of the wicked, nor bitter tortures, nor long
      imprisonment in a most gloomy pit changed thine adamantine resolve, O
      right wondrous martyr.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Thou gavest no slumber to thine eyes, O martyr, until thou didst show
      forth as children of the day those wickedly held fast in evil slumber,
      who cry: Holy art Thou, O Lord!

      The martyr Rhipsimia, knowing thee to be the only Virgin Mother, O
      Maiden, desired thy beauties; and, shining with her sufferings, she
      was led before Christ in thy train.

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 7: Thou didst destroy death by Thy
      Cross, / Thou didst open paradise to the thief, / Thou didst change
      the lamentation of the myrrh-bearers, / and Thou didst command Thine
      Apostles / to proclaim that Thou didst arise, O Christ God, / and
      grantest to the world great mercy.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Gregory, Tone 4: As thou didst share in the ways of
      the apostles / and didst occupy their throne, / thou didst find thine
      activity to be a passage to divine vision, / O divinely inspired one.
      / Wherefore, speaking aright the word of truth, / thou didst suffer
      for the Faith even to the shedding of thy blood. / O hieromartyr
      Gregory, / entreat Christ God, // that our souls be saved.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 7: No longer will the dominion of death
      / be able to keep men captive, / for Christ hath descended,
      demolishing and destroying the powers thereof. / Hades is bound; the
      prophets rejoice with one voice, saying: / A Savior hath come for them
      that have faith! / Come forth, ye faithful, for the Resurrection!

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of St. Gregory, Tone 2: O ye faithful, in songs and hymns /
      let us all praise today / the right glorious hierarch Gregory / as an
      athlete, a vigilant shepherd and teacher, / a universal luminary and
      champion; // for he prayeth to Christ, that we be saved.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: The Lord will give strength
      unto His people;the Lord will bless His people with peace.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: Bring unto the Lord, ye sons of God, bring unto the Lord the
      sons of rams.
      Choir: The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will
      bless His people with peace.
      Reader: In the Same Tone: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the
      death of His saints.
      Choir: Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to the Corinthians.

      [2 Corinthians 6:1-10 (§181)]: Brethren: We then, as workers
      together with him, beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of
      God in vain. * (For he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted,
      and in the day of salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the
      accepted time; behold, now is the day of salvation.) * Giving no
      offence in any thing, that the ministry be not blamed: * But in all
      things approving ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience,
      in afflictions, in necessities, in distresses, * In stripes, in
      imprisonments, in tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; * By
      pureness, by knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy
      Ghost, by love unfeigned, * By the word of truth, by the power of God,
      by the armour of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, * By
      honour and dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers,
      and yet true; * As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold,
      we live; as chastened, and not killed; * As sorrowful, yet alway
      rejoicing; as poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet
      possessing all things.

      [1 Corinthians 16:13-24 (§166)]: Brethren: Watch ye, stand fast in
      the faith, quit you like men, be strong. * Let all your things be done
      with charity. * I beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of
      Stephanas, that it is the firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have
      addicted themselves to the ministry of the saints,) * That ye submit
      yourselves unto such, and to every one that helpeth with us, and
      laboureth. * I am glad of the coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and
      Achaicus: for that which was lacking on your part they have supplied.
      * For they have refreshed my spirit and your's: therefore acknowledge
      ye them that are such. * The churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and
      Priscilla salute you much in the Lord, with the church that is in
      their house. * All the brethren greet you. Greet ye one another with
      an holy kiss. * The salutation of me Paul with mine own hand. * If any
      man love not the Lord Jesus Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha. *
      The grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be with you. * My love be with you
      all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 7th Tone: It is good to give praise unto the
      Lord, and to chant unto Thy name, O Most High.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: To proclaim in the morning Thy mercy, and Thy truth by night.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 2nd Tone: Thy priest shall be clothed in
      righteousness, and Thy righteous shall rejoice.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Luke 6:31-36 (§26)]: The Lord said: As ye would that men should do
      to you, do ye also to them likewise. * For if ye love them which love
      you, what thank have ye? for sinners also love those that love them. *
      And if ye do good to them which do good to you, what thank have ye?
      for sinners also do even the same. * And if ye lend to them of whom ye
      hope to receive, what thank have ye? for sinners also lend to sinners,
      to receive as much again. * But love ye your enemies, and do good, and
      lend, hoping for nothing again; and your reward shall be great, and ye
      shall be the children of the Highest: for he is kind unto the
      unthankful and to the evil. * Be ye therefore merciful, as your Father
      also is merciful.

      [Matt. 24:42-47 (§103)]: The Lord said: Watch therefore: for ye know
      not what hour your Lord doth come. * But know this, that if the
      goodman of the house had known in what watch the thief would come, he
      would have watched, and would not have suffered his house to be broken
      up. * Therefore be ye also ready: for in such an hour as ye think not
      the Son of man cometh. * Who then is a faithful and wise servant, whom
      his lord hath made ruler over his household, to give them meat in due
      season? * Blessed is that servant, whom his lord when he cometh shall
      find so doing. * Verily I say unto you, That he shall make him ruler
      over all his goods.

      It is truly meet...

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!