Old-Calendar Choir Cues: 15 Pentecost, 23 September/6 October 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 30, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Doxology-rank
      service for the conception of the Forerunner and Baptizer of the Lord,
      John (§1C in the Order of Divine Services). The order for Troparia and
      Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is
      dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate
      adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, please note that translations are from other
      sources, and are not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are
      indicated by the sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please
      also note that the Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed
      for singing according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr.
      Timothy Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website: http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/ . I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      23 September/6 October 2013
      FIFTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 6

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday: 2 Corinthians 4:6-15 (§176)
      For St. John: Galatians 4:22-31 (§210, from the midpoint)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday: Luke 5:1-11 (§17)
      For St. John: Luke 1:5-25 (§2)

      Fifteenth Sunday after Pentecost. Conception of the Forerunner and
      Baptizer of the Lord, John (Doxology-rank service). Venerable Saints
      Xanthippa and Polyxena of Spain. Virgin-Martyr Irais (Rhais) of
      Alexandria. Martyrs Andrew, John, Peter, and Antoninus. Martyr
      Nicholas of Pentapolis. Martyr John of Epirus, Albania. "Slovenki
      Monastery" Icon of the Mother of God.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Forerunner
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Forerunner
      Kontakion of the Forerunner

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 3 of the Canon of the Forerunner

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember me when Thou comest in Thy kingdom, O God my Savior, and save
      me, for Thou alone lovest mankind.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      By a tree was Adam deceived; yet again by the Tree of the Cross was
      the thief saved, who cried out: Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      O Bestower of life, Who hadst broken down the gates and portals of
      hades, Thou hast saved all who cry out to Thee, O Savior: Glory to
      Thine arising!

      O Thou Who by Thy burial hast made death captive, and by Thy
      resurrection hast filled all with joy: remember me, in that Thou art
      compassionate.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      The myrrh-bearing women who came to the tomb heard an angel cry out:
      Christ, Who hath enlightened all things is risen!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Together let us all hymn Christ, Who was nailed to the Cross and hath
      delivered the world from beguilement.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Today the barren one conceiveth the sacred fruit, who in later times
      will cut down all the barrenness of souls with grace, the noetic axe.

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Having been struck dumb within the temple, the great Zechariah
      receiveth the yoke of the Word by an awesome announcement, and
      radiantly doth magnify the compassionate Lord.

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      The glorious Forerunner, who hath shown the faithful the firm path of
      repentance, by divine counsel surpassing hope hath at the angel's
      command sprung forth in his mother's womb.

      As he who was born of the barren woman perceived Christ borne in the
      Virgin's womb, he leapt up, heralding the Joy which had come into the
      world to deliver all from grief.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion,Tone 6: Angelic hosts were above Thy tomb, /
      and they that guarded Thee became as dead, / and Mary stood by the
      grave, / seeking Thine immaculate Body; / Thou didst despoil hades and
      wast not tempted by it. / Thou didst meet the Virgin and didst grant
      us life, / O Thou Who didst rise from the dead, // O Lord, glory be to
      Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Forerunner, Tone 4: Make merry, O barren woman, who
      before wast unable to bear a child! / For, lo! thou hast manifestly
      conceived the lamp of the Sun, / who will enlighten all the world, /
      which suffereth from blindness. / Dance thou, O Zechariah, crying out
      with boldness: / He who will be born // is the prophet of the Most
      High!

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 6: Having by His life-bestowing hand /
      raised up all the dead out of the dark abysses, / Christ God, the
      Giver of Life, / hath bestowed the Resurrection upon the fallen human
      race; / for He is the Savior of all, // the Resurrection, and the
      Life, and the God of all.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory...

      Kontakion of the Forerunner, Tone 1: Rejoice with splendor, O great
      Zechariah / and most glorious Elizabeth, his spouse, / in conceiving
      John the Forerunner as is meet, / whom the archangel announced,
      rejoicing. / O ye men, let us right worthily honor him // as the
      initiate of the mystery of grace.

      Both now...

      Theotokion, Tone 6: O protection of Christians that cannot be put to
      shame, / O mediation unto the Creator unfailing, / disdain not the
      suppliant voices of sinners, / but be thou quick, O good one, to help
      us who in faith cry unto thee; / hasten to intercession and speed thou
      to make supplication, // thou who dost ever protect, O Theotokos, them
      that honor thee.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone: Save, O Lord, Thy people and
      bless Thine inheritance.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: In the 7th Tone: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord
      and shall hope in Him.
      Choir: The righteous man shall be glad in the Lord and shall hope in Him.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Second Epistle of the Holy Apostle
      Paul to the Corinthians.

      [2 Corinthians 4:6-15 (§176)]: Brethren: God, who commanded the
      light to shine out of darkness, hath shined in our hearts, to give the
      light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus
      Christ. * But we have this treasure in earthen vessels, that the
      excellency of the power may be of God, and not of us. * We are
      troubled on every side, yet not distressed; we are perplexed, but not
      in despair; * Persecuted, but not forsaken; cast down, but not
      destroyed; *
      Always bearing about in the body the dying of the Lord Jesus, that the
      life also of Jesus might be made manifest in our body. * For we which
      live are always delivered unto death for Jesus' sake, that the life
      also of Jesus might be made manifest in our mortal flesh. * So then
      death worketh in us, but life in you. * We having the same spirit of
      faith, according as it is written, I believed, and therefore have I
      spoken; we also believe, and therefore speak; * Knowing that he which
      raised up the Lord Jesus shall raise up us also by Jesus, and shall
      present us with you. * For all things are for your sakes, that the
      abundant grace might through the thanksgiving of many redound to the
      glory of God.

      [Galatians 4:22-31 (§210, from the midpoint)]: Brethren: It is
      written, that Abraham had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other
      by a freewoman. * But he who was of the bondwoman was born after the
      flesh; but he of the freewoman was by promise. * Which things are an
      allegory: for these are the two covenants; the one from the mount
      Sinai, which gendereth to bondage, which is Agar. * For this Agar is
      mount Sinai in Arabia, and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is
      in bondage with her children. * But Jerusalem which is above is free,
      which is the mother of us all. * For it is written, Rejoice, thou
      barren that bearest not; break forth and cry, thou that travailest
      not: for the desolate hath many more children than she which hath an
      husband. * Now we, brethren, as Isaac was, are the children of
      promise. * But as then he that was born after the flesh persecuted him
      that was born after the Spirit, even so it is now. * Nevertheless what
      saith the scripture? Cast out the bondwoman and her son: for the son
      of the bondwoman shall not be heir with the son of the freewoman. * So
      then, brethren, we are not children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 6th Tone: He that dwelleth in the help of the
      Most High shall abide in the shelter of the God of heaven.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: He shall say unto the Lord: Thou art my helper and my refuge.
      He is my God, and I will hope in Him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: The righteous man shall flourish like a palm
      tree, and like a cedar of Lebanon shall he be multiplied.

      [Luke 5:1-11 (§17)]: At that time, as the people pressed upon Jesus
      to hear the word of God, he stood by the lake of Gennesaret, * And saw
      two ships standing by the lake: but the fishermen were gone out of
      them, and were washing their nets. * And he entered into one of the
      ships, which was Simon's, and prayed him that he would thrust out a
      little from the land. And he sat down, and taught the people out of
      the ship. * Now when he had left speaking, he said unto Simon, Launch
      out into the deep, and let down your nets for a draught. * And Simon
      answering said unto him, Master, we have toiled all the night, and
      have taken nothing: nevertheless at thy word I will let down the net.
      * And when they had this done, they inclosed a great multitude of
      fishes: and their net brake. * And they beckoned unto their partners,
      which were in the other ship, that they should come and help them. And
      they came, and filled both the ships, so that they began to sink. *
      When Simon Peter saw it, he fell down at Jesus' knees, saying, Depart
      from me; for I am a sinful man, O Lord. * For he was astonished, and
      all that were with him, at the draught of the fishes which they had
      taken: * And so was also James, and John, the sons of Zebedee, which
      were partners with Simon. And Jesus said unto Simon, Fear not; from
      henceforth thou shalt catch men. * And when they had brought their
      ships to land, they forsook all, and followed him.

      [Luke 1:5-25 (§2)]: In the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, there
      was a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his
      wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. * And
      they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments
      and ordinances of the Lord blameless. * And they had no child, because
      that Elisabeth was barren, and they both were now well stricken in
      years. * And it came to pass, that while he executed the priest's
      office before God in the order of his course, * According to the
      custom of the priest's office, his lot was to burn incense when he
      went into the temple of the Lord. * And the whole multitude of the
      people were praying without at the time of incense. * And there
      appeared unto him an angel of the Lord standing on the right side of
      the altar of incense. * And when Zacharias saw him, he was troubled,
      and fear fell upon him. * But the angel said unto him, Fear not,
      Zacharias: for thy prayer is heard; and thy wife Elisabeth shall bear
      thee a son, and thou shalt call his name John. * And thou shalt have
      joy and gladness; and many shall rejoice at his birth. * For he shall
      be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor
      strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from
      his mother's womb. * And many of the children of Israel shall he turn
      to the Lord their God. * And he shall go before him in the spirit and
      power of Elias, to turn the hearts of the fathers to the children, and
      the disobedient to the wisdom of the just; to make ready a people
      prepared for the Lord. * And Zacharias said unto the angel, Whereby
      shall I know this? for I am an old man, and my wife well stricken in
      years. * And the angel answering said unto him, I am Gabriel, that
      stand in the presence of God; and am sent to speak unto thee, and to
      shew thee these glad tidings. * And, behold, thou shalt be dumb, and
      not able to speak, until the day that these things shall be performed,
      because thou believest not my words, which shall be fulfilled in their
      season. * And the people waited for Zacharias, and marvelled that he
      tarried so long in the temple. * And when he came out, he could not
      speak unto them: and they perceived that he had seen a vision in the
      temple: for he beckoned unto them, and remained speechless. * And it
      came to pass, that, as soon as the days of his ministration were
      accomplished, he departed to his own house * And after those days his
      wife Elisabeth conceived, and hid herself five months, saying, * Thus
      hath the Lord dealt with me in the days wherein he looked on me, to
      take away my reproach among men.

      DOSTOINIK

      It is truly meet...

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!