CORRECTED Old Calendar Choir Cues, 14 Pentecost, 16/29 September 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 25, 2013
      I have been advised that there were a couple of inconsistencies
      between the Cues I issued on Monday, and the Typicon for this coming
      Sunday. Herewith, then, the corrected Cues:

      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Six-Stichera
      service for the Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the Cross, and
      Great-Martyr Euphemia (§1F1 in the Order of Divine Services). The
      order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a Saint.
      If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos, please
      make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, translations are from other sources, and are
      not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the
      sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please also note that the
      Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for singing
      according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr. Timothy

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      16/29 September 2013

      For the Sunday after the Exaltation of the Cross: Galatians 2:16-20 (§203)
      For the Sunday: 2 Corinthians 1:21-2:4 (§170)
      For Saint Euphemia: 2 Corinthians 6:1-10 (§181)

      For the Sunday after the Exaltation of the Cross: Mark 8:34-9:1 (§37)
      For the Sunday: Matthew 22:1-14 (§89)
      For Saint Euphemia: Luke 7:36-50 (§33)

      Fourteenth Sunday after Pentecost. Afterfeast of the Exaltation of the
      Cross. Great-Martyr Euphemia the All-Praised of Chalcedon
      (Six-Stichera-rank service). Martyrs Victor and Sosthenes at
      Chalcedon. Martyrs Sebastiana and Melitina. Venerable Dorotheus,
      Hermit of Egypt. Martyrs Isaac and Joseph of Georgia. Martyr
      Ludmilla, Princess of the Czechs. Venerable Procopius, Abbot of
      Sazava in Bohemia. St. Cyprian, Metropolitan of Kiev. New-Hieromartyr
      Gregory Raevskii (1937). Translation of the relics of Righteous
      Alexei Mechev, Priest of Moscow.

      At the Third Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Troparion of St. Euphemia
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Resurrectional Troparion
      Festal Troparion
      Festal Kontakion

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      12: 4 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 3 of the Festal Canon; 4 from Ode
      6 of the Canon of St. Euphemia

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      Believing Thee to be God, O Christ, the thief on the cross confessed
      Thee in a pure manner, crying out from the depths of his heart:
      Remember me in Thy kingdom, O Lord!

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      Together let us hymn as Savior and Creator, Him Who on the Cross
      budded forth life for our race and caused the curse which originated
      from the tree to wither up.

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      By Thy death hast Thou destroyed the power of death, O Christ, and
      Thou didst raise up with Thyself the dead of ages past, who now hymn
      Thee as our true God and Savior.

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Arriving at Thy tomb, O Christ, the honorable women sought to anoint
      Thee with myrrh, O Bestower of life; but an angel appeared to them,
      crying out: The Lord is risen!

      The rod of Aaron is an image of this mystery, for when it budded it
      showed who should be priest. So in the Church, that once was barren,
      the wood of the Cross hath now put forth flower, filling her with
      strength and steadfastness.

      (repeats foregoing Troparion) The rod of Aaron is an image of this
      mystery, for when it budded it showed who should be priest. So in the
      Church, that once was barren, the wood of the Cross hath now put forth
      flower, filling her with strength and steadfastness.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      The rough stone, struck, put forth water for a disobedient and
      hardhearted people, and showed forth the mystery of the divinely elect
      Church, whereof the Cross is the might and confirmation.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      When Christ’s all-pure side was pierced by the spear, blood and water
      flowed therefrom, renewing the covenant and washing sin away, for the
      Cross is the boast of the faithful, the might and confirmation of

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Bearing manly wisdom of soul in thy womanly flesh, O glorious one,
      thou didst pay no heed to the beasts in the waters.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Without sustaining harm, thou didst vanquish the pride of the tyrants
      in the waters, O invincible martyr, abiding with the beasts like

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Hearkening to thy supplications, the Lord delivered thee from the
      corruption of the beasts, as He did Daniel from the pit, O most
      praised one.

      O thou who at the word of the archangel gavest birth to the Word in
      the flesh, deliver our souls from the snares of the enemy, we pray.

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 5: Let us, O faithful, praise and
      worship the Word, / Who is co-unoriginate with the Father and the
      Spirit, / and Who was born of the Virgin for our salvation; / for He
      was pleased to ascend the Cross in the Flesh, / and to endure death,
      // and to raise the dead by His glorious Resurrection.

      Festal Troparion, Tone 1: O Lord, save Thy people / and bless Thine
      inheritance. / Grant Thou victory unto Orthodox Christians / over
      their enemies, / and by the power of Thy Cross // do Thou preserve Thy

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of St. Euphemia, Tone 4: Thy ewe-lamb Euphemia cried out to
      Thee with a loud voice, O Jesus: / “I love Thee, O my Bridegroom, /
      and, seeking Thee, I pass through many struggles; / I am crucified and
      buried with Thee in Thy baptism, / and suffer for Thy sake, that I
      might reign with Thee; / I die for Thee, that I might live with Thee.
      / As an unblemished sacrifice accept me, / who sacrifice myself with
      love for Thee.” // By her supplications, save Thou our souls, in that
      Thou art merciful.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 5: Unto hades, O my Savior, didst Thou
      descend, / and having broken its gates as One omnipotent, / Thou, as
      Creator, didst raise up the dead together with Thyself. / And Thou
      didst break the sting of death, / and didst deliver Adam from the
      curse, O Lover of mankind. // Wherefore we all cry unto Thee: Save
      us, O Lord.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Kontakion of St. Euphemia, Tone 4: Thou didst struggle well in thy
      contest, / and after death dost sanctify us with streams of miracles,
      / O most praised one. / Wherefore, we hymn thy holy repose, / having
      recourse to thy divine temple with faith, / that we may be delivered
      from spiritual afflictions, // and may draw forth the grace of

      Both now...

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 4: O Thou Who wast lifted up willingly on the
      Cross, / bestow Thy mercies upon the new community named after Thee, O
      Christ God; / gladden with Thy power the Orthodox Christians, /
      granting them victory over enemies; // may they have as Thy help the
      weapon of peace, the invincible trophy.

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 7th Tone: Exalt ye the Lord our God, and
      worship the footstool of His feet for it is holy.
      Choir: Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His
      feet for it is holy.
      Reader: The Lord is king, let the peoples rage.
      Choir: Exalt ye the Lord our God, and worship the footstool of His
      feet for it is holy.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.
      Choir: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Galatians.

      [Galatians 2:16-20, §203] Brethren: Knowing that a man is not
      justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ,
      even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by
      the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works
      of the law shall no flesh be justified. * But if, while we seek to be
      justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore
      Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. * For if I build again the
      things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. * For I
      through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. * I am
      crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ
      liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the
      faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

      [2 Corinthians 1:21-2:4, §170]; Brethren: He which stablisheth us
      with you in Christ, and hath anointed us, is God; * Who hath also
      sealed us, and given the earnest of the Spirit in our hearts. *
      Moreover I call God for a record upon my soul, that to spare you I
      came not as yet unto Corinth. * Not for that we have dominion over
      your faith, but are helpers of your joy: for by faith ye stand. * But
      I determined this with myself, that I would not come again to you in
      heaviness. * For if I make you sorry, who is he then that maketh me
      glad, but the same which is made sorry by me? * And I wrote this same
      unto you, lest, when I came, I should have sorrow from them of whom I
      ought to rejoice; having confidence in you all, that my joy is the joy
      of you all. * For out of much affliction and anguish of heart I wrote
      unto you with many tears; not that ye should be grieved, but that ye
      might know the love which I have more abundantly unto you.

      [2 Corinthians 6:1-10, §181]: We then, as workers together with him,
      beseech you also that ye receive not the grace of God in vain. * (For
      he saith, I have heard thee in a time accepted, and in the day of
      salvation have I succoured thee: behold, now is the accepted time;
      behold, now is the day of salvation.) * Giving no offence in any
      thing, that the ministry be not blamed: * But in all things approving
      ourselves as the ministers of God, in much patience, in afflictions,
      in necessities, in distresses, * In stripes, in imprisonments, in
      tumults, in labours, in watchings, in fastings; * By pureness, by
      knowledge, by longsuffering, by kindness, by the Holy Ghost, by love
      unfeigned, * By the word of truth, by the power of God, by the armour
      of righteousness on the right hand and on the left, * By honour and
      dishonour, by evil report and good report: as deceivers, and yet true;
      * As unknown, and yet well known; as dying, and, behold, we live; as
      chastened, and not killed; * As sorrowful, yet alway rejoicing; as
      poor, yet making many rich; as having nothing, and yet possessing all

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: Remember Thy congregation which Thou
      hast urchased from the beginning.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: But God is our king before the ages, He hath wrought
      salvation in the midst of the earth.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the 6th Tone: With patience I waited patiently for the
      Lord, and He was attentive unto me.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!

      [Mark 8:34-9:1, §37]: The Lord said: Whosoever will come after me,
      let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me. * For
      whosoever will save his life shall lose it; but whosoever shall lose
      his life for my sake and the gospel's, the same shall save it. * For
      what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose
      his own soul? * Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul? *
      Whosoever therefore shall be ashamed of me and of my words in this
      adulterous and sinful generation; of him also shall the Son of man be
      ashamed, when he cometh in the glory of his Father with the holy
      angels. * And he said unto them, Verily I say unto you, That there be
      some of them that stand here, which shall not taste of death, till
      they have seen the kingdom of God come with power.

      [Matthew 22:1-14, §89]: The Lord spake unto them again by parables,
      and said, * The kingdom of heaven is like unto a certain king, which
      made a marriage for his son, * And sent forth his servants to call
      them that were bidden to the wedding: and they would not come. *
      Again, he sent forth other servants, saying, Tell them which are
      bidden, Behold, I have prepared my dinner: my oxen and my fatlings are
      killed, and all things are ready: come unto the marriage. * But they
      made light of it, and went their ways, one to his farm, another to his
      merchandise: * And the remnant took his servants, and entreated them
      spitefully, and slew them. * But when the king heard thereof, he was
      wroth: and he sent forth his armies, and destroyed those murderers,
      and burned up their city. * Then saith he to his servants, The wedding
      is ready, but they which were bidden were not worthy. * Go ye
      therefore into the highways, and as many as ye shall find, bid to the
      marriage. * So those servants went out into the highways, and gathered
      together all as many as they found, both bad and good: and the wedding
      was furnished with guests. * And when the king came in to see the
      guests, he saw there a man which had not on a wedding garment: * And
      he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a
      wedding garment? And he was speechless. * Then said the king to the
      servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into
      outer darkness, there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth. * For
      many are called, but few are chosen.

      [Luke 7:36-50, §33]: At that time, one of the Pharisees desired of
      Jesus that he would eat with him. And he went into the Pharisee's
      house, and sat down to meat. * And, behold, a woman in the city, which
      was a sinner, when she knew that Jesus sat at meat in the Pharisee's
      house, brought an alabaster box of ointment, * And stood at his feet
      behind him weeping, and began to wash his feet with tears, and did
      wipe them with the hairs of her head, and kissed his feet, and
      anointed them with the ointment. * Now when the Pharisee which had
      bidden him saw it, he spake within himself, saying, This man, if he
      were a prophet, would have known who and what manner of woman this is
      that toucheth him: for she is a sinner. * And Jesus answering said
      unto him, Simon, I have somewhat to say unto thee. And he saith,
      Master, say on. * There was a certain creditor which had two debtors:
      the one owed five hundred pence, and the other fifty. * And when they
      had nothing to pay, he frankly forgave them both. Tell me therefore,
      which of them will love him most? * Simon answered and said, I suppose
      that he, to whom he forgave most. And he said unto him, Thou hast
      rightly judged. * And he turned to the woman, and said unto Simon,
      Seest thou this woman? I entered into thine house, thou gavest me no
      water for my feet: but she hath washed my feet with tears, and wiped
      them with the hairs of her head. * Thou gavest me no kiss: but this
      woman since the time I came in hath not ceased to kiss my feet. * My
      head with oil thou didst not anoint: but this woman hath anointed my
      feet with ointment. * Wherefore I say unto thee, Her sins, which are
      many, are forgiven; for she loved much: but to whom little is
      forgiven, the same loveth little. * And he said unto her, Thy sins are
      forgiven. * And they that sat at meat with him began to say within
      themselves, Who is this that forgiveth sins also? * And he said to the
      woman, Thy faith hath saved thee; go in peace.

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the feast, Eighth Tone: ("The wonder-working rod of

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, / the most precious Cross of the Lord.

      Irmos: O Theotokos, thou art a mystical Paradise, / who untilled hast
      brought forth Christ. / He hath planted upon the earth the life-giving
      Tree of the Cross: / therefore at its exaltation on this day, // we
      worship Him and thee do we magnify.

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! In
      everlasting remembrance shall the righteous be; he shall not be afraid
      of evil tidings. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!