Is 'Allen" the name of a Saint. also "Gilberto". I need to know before Wednesday.

  • Seraphim Holland
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 23, 2013
      I will be receiving two men into the catechumenate during a prison visit on Wednesday. One man want to have the name of "Allen" for significant personal reasons. I want to oblige him. Anybody know of a saint Allen?

      Also, does "Gilberto" correspond to a saint?

      Fr John, would you forward this to the clergy list so some of the great minds in our church would see it?

      --
      Priest Seraphim Holland
      seraphim@...  Cell:972 658-5433 Home:972 529-2754
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 23, 2013
        Good question, so I did some research on my own.  Here's one possibility:

        And one for St. Gilbert:

        OK, so it's a Catholic site.  Both these saints are pre-schism, including when they were canonized.

        In Christ,
        Meg Lark

        On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:07 PM, Seraphim Holland <seraphim@...> wrote:

        I will be receiving two men into the catechumenate during a prison visit on Wednesday. One man want to have the name of "Allen" for significant personal reasons. I want to oblige him. Anybody know of a saint Allen?

        Also, does "Gilberto" correspond to a saint?

        Fr John, would you forward this to the clergy list so some of the great minds in our church would see it?

        __._,_.__
      • stevekain@...
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 23, 2013
          Both names are of pre-schism Western saints:

          "Allen" = St. Elian of Brittany, a 6th-century Briton missionary to
          Cornwall, England.

          "Gilberto" = Gilbert. There are 2 possibilities:

          a. Gilbert of Hexham, 8th-century bishop of Hexham in Northumbria

          b. Gilbert of Meaux, bishop of Meaux, France, consecrated 995, reposed 1009.

          Hope this helps