Old Calendar Choir Cues: 13 Pentecost, 9/22 September 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 18, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a Six-Stichera
      service for the Afterfeast of the Nativity of the Most Holy Theotokos,
      and the Holy Righteous Ancestors of God Joachim and Anna (§1F1 in the
      Order of Divine Services). The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for
      a Temple dedicated to a Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord
      or to the Theotokos, please make the appropriate adjustments.

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to
      ensure that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a
      timely fashion. However, translations are from other sources, and are
      not my own. Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the
      sign §, followed by the appropriate number. Please also note that the
      Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for singing
      according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr. Timothy
      Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website
      (http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort
      without his help.

      9/22 September 2013

      THIRTEENTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 4

      Epistle:
      For the Sunday before the Exaltation of the Cross: Galatians 6:11-18 (§215)
      For the Sunday: 1 Corinthians 16:13-24 (§166)
      For Saints Joachim and Anna: Galatians 4:22-31 (§210)

      Gospel:
      For the Sunday before the Exaltation of the Cross: John 3:13-17 (§9)
      For the Sunday: Matthew 21:33-42 (§87)
      For Saints Joachim and Anna: Luke 8:16-21 (§36)

      Thirteenth Sunday after Pentecost. Afterfeast of the Nativity of the
      Most Holy Theotokos. Holy Righteous Ancestors of God Joachim and Anna
      (Six-Stichera-rank service). Martyr Severian of Sebaste. Martyrs
      Chariton and Stratorus. Blessed Nicetas the Hidden, of
      Constantinople. Venerable Theophanes the confessor of Mount Diabenos.
      Venerable Joseph of Volotsk (Doxology-rank service). Venerable
      Joachim, Abbot of Opochka Monastery, Pskov. Finding of the relics of
      St. Theodosius of Uglich, Archbishop of Chernigov. Synaxis of the
      Elders of Glinsk Monastery: Philaret, Iliodor, Ioannicius, Innocent,
      Basil, Macarius, Luke, Archippus, Euthymius, Theodotus, Martyrius,
      Dositheus, Seraphim. New-Hieromartyr Zachariah, Archbishop of
      Voronezh. Commemoration of the Third Ecumenical Council. Movable
      Feast on the first Sunday after September 3: Synaxis of the Saints of
      Saratov; Synaxis of the New-Martyrs and Confessors of Kazakhstan.

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Festal Troparion
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of Joachim and Anna
      Festal Kontakion

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      12: 4 from the Octoechos, 4 from Ode 1 of the Festal Canon; 4 from
      Ode 6 of the Canon of the Saints

      1. Blessed are the poor in spirit, * for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      By the tree was Adam forced to depart from paradise; but by the Tree
      of the Cross was the thief made to dwell in paradise. For the one by
      tasting, broke the commandment of the creator; while the other,
      crucified with Him, confessed the hidden God, crying out: Remember me
      in Thy kingdom!

      2. Blessed are they that mourn, * for they shall be comforted.

      O Lord Who wast lifted up upon the Cross, Who hast destroyed the power
      of death and as God hast destroyed the record of our sins, grant also
      the repentance of the thief unto us who faithfully serve Thee and cry
      out to thee, O Christ God Who alone lovest mankind: Remember us also
      in Thy kingdom!

      3. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      On the Cross Thou didst tear asunder with the spear the record of our
      sins; and, numbered among the dead, Thou didst bind the tyrant of
      hades, O Lord Who lovest mankind, Who by Thy resurrection hast
      delivered all from the bonds of hades. Thereby have we been illumined,
      and we cry to Thee: Remember us also in Thy kingdom!

      4. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      O Thou Who alone art immortal, Who wast crucified and as almighty
      didst arise from the tomb on the third day, and hast raised up Adam,
      the first created: Vouchsafe that I also may turn to repentance with
      my whole heart, and may ever cry out to Thee with fervent faith:
      Remember me, O Savior, in Thy kingdom!

      Come, ye faithful, and, rejoicing with divine spirit, let us honor
      with hymns the Ever-virgin Maiden who today hath issued forth from a
      barren woman for the salvation of men.

      Rejoice, O pure one, Mother and handmaid of Christ God, mediatress of
      our primal blessedness! All of us, the human race, glorify thee with
      hymns, as is meet.

      7. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Let all creation join chorus, and let David be glad, for from his
      tribe and seed hath come forth as a flower the rod which beareth the
      Lord, the Creator of all.

      8. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      The Holy of holies is placed in the holy sanctuary as a babe, to be
      fed by the hands of angels. Let us all, therefore, faithfully keep
      festival together on her nativity.

      9. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Anna, the barren woman of old, having received fertile seed, was
      vouchsafed to give birth to a Maiden of divine radiance who hath
      dominion over all creatures.

      10. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      The barren woman, hath now given birth by God’s will to the Virgin Who
      would with submission give birth untainted by carnal will, as God
      Himself manifestly desired.

      11. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Illumined by the Spirit, Isaiah beheld the offspring of Joachim and
      Anna as a new scroll, whereon the incarnate Word was written.

      Mystery followeth mystery! For she who before was barren hath given
      birth to grace: the mediatress of salvation who hath been revealed to
      us by the birth of virginity.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion, Tone 4: Having learned the joyful
      proclamation of the Resurrection from the angel, / and having cast off
      the ancestral condemnation, / the women disciples of the Lord / spake
      to the Apostles exultantly: / Death is despoiled / and Christ God is
      risen, // granting to the world great mercy.

      Festal Troparion, Tone 4: Thy nativity, O Theotokos Virgin, / hath
      proclaimed joy to all the world; / for from thee hath dawned the Sun
      of Righteousness, Christ our God, / annulling the curse, and bestowing
      the blessing, // abolishing death and granting us life eternal.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of Saints Joachim and Anna, Tone 1: Joachim and Anna, who
      were righteous in the law of grace, / have for us given birth unto a
      God-given babe. / Wherefore, the divine Church keepeth splendid
      festival today, / celebrating their honored memory with gladness, /
      glorifying God Who hath lifted up the horn of salvation for us // in
      the house of David.

      Resurrectional Kontakion, Tone 4: My Savior and Redeemer / hath, as
      God, raised up the earthborn from the grave and from their fetters, /
      and He hath broken the gates of hades, / and, as Master, // hath risen
      on the third day.

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Glory…

      Festal Kontakion, Tone 2: Anna now rejoiceth, / having broken the
      bond of barrenness; / and she nurtureth the all-pure one, / calling
      upon all to hymn the One / Who through her womb hath given unto men //
      the only Mother who knew not man.

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Saints, Tone 4: Joachim and Anna were freed from the
      reproach of childlessness / and Adam and Eve from the corruption of
      death, by thy holy nativity, O immaculate one,/ which thy people,
      redeemed from the guilt of offenses, / celebrate, by crying to thee:
      // The barren woman giveth birth to the Theotokos, the nourisher of
      our life.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 6th Tone: Save, O Lord, Thy people and
      bless Thine inheritance.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: Unto Thee, O Lord, Will I cry; O my God, be not silent unto me.
      Choir: Save, O Lord, Thy people and bless Thine inheritance.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.
      Choir: Wondrous is God in His saints, the God of Israel.

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to
      the Galatians:

      [Gal. 6:11-18, §215]: Brethren: Ye see how large a letter I have
      written unto you with mine own hand. *As many as desire to make a fair
      shew in the flesh, they constrain you to be circumcised; only lest
      they should suffer persecution for the cross of Christ. * For neither
      they themselves who are circumcised keep the law; but desire to have
      you circumcised, that they may glory in your flesh. * But God forbid
      that I should glory, save in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, by
      whom the world is crucified unto me, and I unto the world. * For in
      Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor
      uncircumcision, but a new creature. * And as many as walk according to
      this rule, peace be on them, and mercy, and upon the Israel of God. *
      From henceforth let no man trouble me: for I bear in my body the marks
      of the Lord Jesus. * Brethren, the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ be
      with your spirit. Amen.

      [I Cor. 16:13-24, §166]: Brethren: As touching our brother Apollos,
      I greatly desired him to come unto you with the brethren: but his will
      was not at all to come at this time; but he will come when he shall
      have convenient time. * Watch ye, stand fast in the faith, quit you
      like men, be strong. * Let all your things be done with charity. * I
      beseech you, brethren, (ye know the house of Stephanas, that it is the
      firstfruits of Achaia, and that they have addicted themselves to the
      ministry of the saints,) * That ye submit yourselves unto such, and to
      every one that helpeth with us, and laboureth. * I am glad of the
      coming of Stephanas and Fortunatus and Achaicus: for that which was
      lacking on your part they have supplied. * For they have refreshed my
      spirit and your's: therefore acknowledge ye them that are such. * The
      churches of Asia salute you. Aquila and Priscilla salute you much in
      the Lord, with the church that is in their house. * All the brethren
      greet you. Greet ye one another with an holy kiss. * The salutation of
      me Paul with mine own hand. * If any man love not the Lord Jesus
      Christ, let him be Anathema Maranatha. * The grace of our Lord Jesus
      Christ be with you. * My love be with you all in Christ Jesus. Amen.

      [Gal. 4:22-31, (§210, from the midpoint]: It is written, that Abraham
      had two sons, the one by a bondmaid, the other by a freewoman. * But
      he who was of the bondwoman was born after the flesh; but he of the
      freewoman was by promise. * Which things are an allegory: for these
      are the two covenants; the one from the mount Sinai, which gendereth
      to bondage, which is Agar. * For this Agar is mount Sinai in Arabia,
      and answereth to Jerusalem which now is, and is in bondage with her
      children. * But Jerusalem which is above is free, which is the mother
      of us all. * For it is written, Rejoice, thou barren that bearest not;
      break forth and cry, thou that travailest not: for the desolate hath
      many more children than she which hath an husband. * Now we, brethren,
      as Isaac was, are the children of promise. * But as then he that was
      born after the flesh persecuted him that was born after the Spirit,
      even so it is now. * Nevertheless what saith the scripture? Cast out
      the bondwoman and her son: for the son of the bondwoman shall not be
      heir with the son of the freewoman. * So then, brethren, we are not
      children of the bondwoman, but of the free.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 1st Tone: I have raised up one chosen out of
      my people; with my holy oil have I anointed him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: For My hand shall be unto Him an ally, and Mine arm shall
      strengthen him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: The salvation of the righteous is from the Lord, and he is
      their defender in time of affliction.

      [John 3:13-17, §9]: The Lord said: No man hath ascended up to
      heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which
      is in heaven. * And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness,
      even so must the Son of man be lifted up: * That whosoever believeth
      in him should not perish, but have eternal life. * For God so loved
      the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever
      believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. * For
      God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the
      world through him might be saved.

      [Matt. 21:33-42, §87]: The Lord spake this parable: There was a
      certain householder, which planted a vineyard, and hedged it round
      about, and digged a winepress in it, and built a tower, and let it out
      to husbandmen, and went into a far country: * And when the time of the
      fruit drew near, he sent his servants to the husbandmen, that they
      might receive the fruits of it. * And the husbandmen took his
      servants, and beat one, and killed another, and stoned another. *
      Again, he sent other servants more than the first: and they did unto
      them likewise. * But last of all he sent unto them his son, saying,
      They will reverence my son. * But when the husbandmen saw the son,
      they said among themselves, This is the heir; come, let us kill him,
      and let us seize on his inheritance. * And they caught him, and cast
      him out of the vineyard, and slew him. * When the lord therefore of
      the vineyard cometh, what will he do unto those husbandmen? * They say
      unto him, He will miserably destroy those wicked men, and will let out
      his vineyard unto other husbandmen, which shall render him the fruits
      in their seasons. * Jesus saith unto them, Did ye never read in the
      scriptures, The stone which the builders rejected, the same is become
      the head of the corner: this is the Lord's doing, and it is marvellous
      in our eyes?

      [Luke 8:16-21, §36]: The Lord said: No man, when he hath lighted a
      candle, covereth it with a vessel, or putteth it under a bed; but
      setteth it on a candlestick, that they which enter in may see the
      light. * For nothing is secret, that shall not be made manifest;
      neither any thing hid, that shall not be known and come abroad. * Take
      heed therefore how ye hear: for whosoever hath, to him shall be given;
      and whosoever hath not, from him shall be taken even that which he
      seemeth to have. * Then came to him his mother and his brethren, and
      could not come at him for the press. * And it was told him by certain
      which said, Thy mother and thy brethren stand without, desiring to see
      thee. * And he answered and said unto them, My mother and my brethren
      are these which hear the word of God, and do it.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the Second Canon of the feast, Eighth Tone ("The wonder-working rod of
      Moses..."):

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, / the most glorious nativity of the Mother of God.

      Irmos: Foreign to mothers is virginity, / and strange is childbirth
      for virgins, / yet both were accomplished in thee, O Theotokos. /
      Wherefore, we and all generations of the earth // without ceasing do
      magnify thee.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! Rejoice
      in the Lord, O ye righteous; praise is meet for the upright. Alleluia,
      Alleluia, Alleluia!