RE: Ss. Peter and Febronia

  • starina77
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 14, 2013

      The first option you offered is not distinctive enough for saints of their rank (wonderworkers). The second option is irrelevant, since earthly rank is not usually of any consequence in the Heavenly Kingdom. The third option (Holy wonderworkers Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us.) is the one that I would recommend, based on the models of other wonderworking saints. In cases where there is question of what to do, it seems most customary to pattern elements of a service after a service to an identical or similar category or saint.

      Nikita Simmons

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, <aleksandr.andreev@...> wrote:

      On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Fr. John Whiteford
      <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:
      > At the service of Ss. Peter and Febronia of Murom, what refrain would you
      > use at the canon?

      The Biblical Odes in the redaction "Let us sing to the Lord".

      But given that this is not practiced in most (all?) of our parishes, I
      personally would side with Skaballanovich, who writes that one should
      keep the refrains as concise as possible and use something like
      "Saints Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us" or, at most,

      > Holy righteous Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us.

      But, as this is not regulated by the Typicon, it is more of an area of
      the Rector's (Reader's?) personal preference.

      Aleksandr