Ss. Peter and Febronia

  • Fr. John Whiteford
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 13 9:06 PM
      At the service of Ss. Peter and Febronia of Murom, what refrain would you use at the canon?

      Three possibilities come to mind:

      Holy righteous Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us.

      Holy right believing prince Peter and princess Febronia, pray to God for us.

      Holy wonderworkers Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us.

      Presbyter John Whiteford
      St. Jonah Orthodox Church
      Blog: http://fatherjohn.blogspot.com/
      Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/frjohnwhiteford

      "This is the cause of all evils: the ignorance of the Scriptures. We go into battle without arms, and how ought we to come off safe?" -St. John Chrysostom, Homily IX on Colossians.

    • Aleksandr Andreev
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 13 9:17 PM
        On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 11:06 PM, Fr. John Whiteford
        <frjohnwhiteford@...> wrote:
        > At the service of Ss. Peter and Febronia of Murom, what refrain would you
        > use at the canon?

        The Biblical Odes in the redaction "Let us sing to the Lord".

        But given that this is not practiced in most (all?) of our parishes, I
        personally would side with Skaballanovich, who writes that one should
        keep the refrains as concise as possible and use something like
        "Saints Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us" or, at most,

        > Holy righteous Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us.

        But, as this is not regulated by the Typicon, it is more of an area of
        the Rector's (Reader's?) personal preference.

        Aleksandr
      • starina77
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 14 7:12 AM

          The first option you offered is not distinctive enough for saints of their rank (wonderworkers). The second option is irrelevant, since earthly rank is not usually of any consequence in the Heavenly Kingdom. The third option (Holy wonderworkers Peter and Febronia, pray to God for us.) is the one that I would recommend, based on the models of other wonderworking saints. In cases where there is question of what to do, it seems most customary to pattern elements of a service after a service to an identical or similar category or saint.

          Nikita Simmons