Old Calendar Choir Cues: Feast of the Dormition, 15/28 August 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27 9:33 AM
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a service for the Great
      Feast of the Dormition of our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary
      (Festal Menaion).

      If you have corrections, please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure
      that all on the Choir Cues list receive the corrections in a timely
      fashion. However, translations are from other sources, and are not my own.
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign §, followed
      by the appropriate number.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford for the materials on his website (
      http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/). I could not undertake this effort without
      his help.

      15/28 August 2013

      The Dormition of our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-Virgin Mary

      Epistle: Philippians 2:5-11 (§240)
      Gospel: Luke 10:28-42, 11:27-28 (§54)

      The Dormition of our Most Holy Lady Theotokos and Ever-virgin Mary. Venerable
      Makarios the Roman and Chariton. "Atskursk (Georgia)," Pskov Caves," "Giver
      of Reason," and "Crimean" Icons of the Mother of God.

      HOURS

      At all Hours:

      Festal Troparion (Dormition)
      Glory... Both now...
      Theotokion from the Horologion
      Festal Kontakion (Dormition)

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes)
      Feast 4 from Ode 3, Canon 1; 4 from Ode 6, Canon 2 [Those following Byzantine
      practice can replace the usual antiphons with the festal antiphons given in
      the Festal Menaion, p 526ff.]

      Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.
      Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for they
      shall be filled.

      The glorious apostles, seeing thee to be a mortal woman, yet, in manner
      transcending nature, the Mother of God, O all-immaculate one, with awe
      touched with their hands thee who art resplendent in glory, perceiving thee
      to be a habitation acceptable to God.

      (repeat foregoing sticheron) The glorious apostles, seeing thee to be a
      mortal woman, yet, in manner transcending nature, the Mother of God, O
      all-immaculate one, with awe touched with their hands thee who art resplendent
      in glory, perceiving thee to be a habitation acceptable to God.

      3. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      When God preserved with the glory of His divinity the honor of the animate
      ark wherein the Word became flesh, the judgment of retribution overtook the
      insolent one through the severing of his audacious hands.

      4. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, * for
      theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      (repeat foregoing sticheron) When God preserved with the glory of His divinity
      the honor of the animate ark wherein the Word became flesh, the judgment of
      retribution overtook the insolent one through the severing of his audacious
      hands.

      5. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and shall
      say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.

      For thee did Life shine forth, leaving intact the seal of thy virginity.
      How, therefore, hast thine all-pure and life-giving body been permitted to
      be tempted by death?

      6. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the
      heavens.

      (repeat foregoing sticheron) For thee did Life shine forth, leaving intact
      the seal of thy virginity. How, therefore, hast thine all-pure and
      life-giving body been permitted to be tempted by death?

      7. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      As the temple of Life, thou didst attain life everlasting; for, having given
      birth to the hypostatic Life, thou didst pass through death on to life.

      (repeat foregoing sticheron) As the temple of Life, thou didst attain life
      everlasting; for, having given birth to the hypostatic Life, thou didst
      pass through death on to life.

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Troparion of the Dormition, Tone 1: In giving birth thou didst preserve thy
      virginity; / in thy dormition thou didst not forsake the world, O
      Theotokos. / Thou wast translated unto life, / since thou art the Mother of
      Life; // and by thine intercessions dost thou deliver our souls from death.

      Glory... Both now...

      Kontakion of the Dormition, Tone 2: The grave and death could not hold the
      Theotokos, / who is sleepless in her intercessions and an unfailing hope in
      her mediations. / For as the Mother of Life she was translated unto life //
      by Him Who dwelt in her ever-virgin womb.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 3rd Tone: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and
      my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my
      Savior.
      Reader: For He hath looked upon the lowliness of His handmaiden; for behold,
      from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.
      Choir: My soul doth magnify the Lord, and my spirit hath rejoiced in God my
      Savior.
      Reader: My soul doth magnify the Lord.
      Choir: And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Savior

      Reader: The Reading is from the Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the
      Philippians:

      [Philippians 2:5-11, §240]: Brethren: Let this mind be in you, which was
      also in Christ Jesus: Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery
      to be equal with God: But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him
      the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men: And being found
      in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death,
      even the death of the cross. Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him,
      and given him a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus
      every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things
      under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is
      Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

      ALLELUIA (PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 2nd Tone.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Arise, O Lord, into Thy rest, Thou and the ark of Thy holiness.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: The Lord hath sworn in truth unto David, and He will not annul it.

      [Luke 10:38-42; 11:27-30, §54]: At that time, Jesus entered into a certain
      village: and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house. And
      she had a sister called Mary, which also sat at Jesus'
      feet, and heard his word. But Martha was cumbered about much serving, and
      came to him, and said, Lord, dost thou not care that my sister hath left me
      to serve alone? bid her therefore that she help me. And Jesus answered and
      said unto her, Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many
      things: But one thing is needful: and Mary hath chosen that good part,
      which shall not be taken away from her. And it came to pass, as he spake
      these things, a certain woman of the company lifted up her voice, and said
      unto him, Blessed is the womb that bare thee, and the paps which thou hast
      sucked. But he said, Yea rather, blessed are they that hear the word of
      God, and keep it.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of "it is truly meet..." we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of the
      First Canon of the feast, Tone 1 ("Thy victorious right hand..."):

      Refrain: The angels, having beheld the Dormition of the Most pure One, /
      were struck with wonder, // at how the Virgin went up from earth to heaven.

      Irmos: In thee, O Virgin without spot, / the bounds of nature are overcome:
      / for childbirth remains virgin / and death is betrothed to life. / O
      Theotokos, Virgin after bearing child and alive after death, // do thou
      ever save thine inheritance.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      I will take the cup of salvation, and I will call upon the name of the Lord.
      Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!