Re: Need English translation of troparion and kontakion

  • Carol S
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 27, 2013
      Here is the English text from the Menologian program:

      ST ALYPIOS THE ICONOGRAPHER
      Troparion of St Alypios Tone 8
      Thou didst portray the Saints' faces on panels of wood, O all-praised Alypios,/ as a skilled craftsman thou didst inscribe their good works on the tablets of thy heart./ Like an icon adorned in a God-like manner thou wast gilded with the grace of holiness/ by Christ our God the Savior of our souls.

      Kontakion of St Alypios Tone 2
      Divinely sealed, thou didst learn iconography from thy childhood/ and take thy part in adorning the church of the Mother of God./ Thou didst behold the illumination of the Holy Spirit/ and receive power from God to write miracleworking icons./ Wherefore we venerate thee, blessed Alypios.

      --- In ustav@yahoogroups.com, Oleg Bych <teach1@...> wrote:

      > Dear Ustavniki,
      > Does anyone on Ustav have an English translation of the troparion and kontakion to St. Alypy, iconographer of the Kiev Caves Monastery? Any help would be greatly appreciated! May God bless your efforts.
      > Reader Oleg

    • Oleg Bych
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 28, 2013
        Thank you very much, Carol!
        But, is there a moral literal translation into English available of this troparion and kontakion to St. Alypy, the iconographer, with 'thee' and 'thine'? Sorry, but I need to put this translation to musical notation for a service.
        May God bless!
        Reader Oleg

        > To: ustav@yahoogroups.com
        > From: teach1@...
        > Date: Tue, 27 Aug 2013 14:34:45 +0000
        > Subject: [ustav] Need English translation of troparion and kontakion
        >
        > Dear Ustavniki,
        > Does anyone on Ustav have an English translation of the troparion and kontakion to St. Alypy, iconographer of the Kiev Caves Monastery? Any help would be greatly appreciated! May God bless your efforts.
        > Reader Oleg

      • Oleg Bych
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 29, 2013
          Dear Ustavniki,

          On another matter, here's an English translation of a prayer attributed to Saint John of Damascus:

          "O my God and Lord Jesus Christ, lead me in your way that I may walk in your truth; gladden my heart that I may fear your holy name. O Lord so mighty in mercy, so gracious in your might; assist and comfort me; save me, for I put my trust in your holy name. In your wrath, do not let me perish, O Lord and Lover of us all, but show me your great mercy and compassion. O Physician and Healer of my soul, O merciful Savior, blot out all my transgressions, for in the depth of my heart I am sorry for having offended you. Grant me your grace, that I may avoid my earlier and evil ways; give me the strength, O Mighty One, to withstand the temptations before which I am weak; keep me under your protection, and under the shadow of your wings, so that I may serve you faithfully, praise You, and glorify your name all the days of my life."

          Can anyone here provide me with the original Slavonic? Is it part of an Office or Canon or Akathist Hymn? In other words, when is this prayer used? Any leads would be helpful.

          Reader Oleg

          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 5, 2013

            If it's by St John of Damascus, the original is in Greek, not Slavonic.

            Message 5 of 6 , Oct 5, 2013
              Dear Stephen and Ustavniki,

              Is there any way of accessing the original Greek? My (classical) Greek is very rusty. Many thanks for your lead(s)! God bless!

              Reader Oleg

              To: ustav@yahoogroups.com
              From: stephen_r1937@...
              Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 09:58:58 -0700