Old Calendar Choir Cues: 9 Pentecost, 12/25 August 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 20, 2013
      The St. Innocent Press Liturgical Calendar indicates a simple service
      for the Martyrs Photius and Anicetas (§1F1 in the Order of Divine
      Services).

      The order for Troparia and Kontakia is for a Temple dedicated to a
      Saint. If your temple is dedicated to the Lord or to the Theotokos,
      please make the appropriate adjustments. If you have corrections,
      please be sure to click "Reply to All" to ensure that all on the Choir
      Cues list receive the corrections in a timely fashion. However, please
      note that translations are from other sources, and are not my own.
      Pericopes for the Epistle and Gospel are indicated by the sign §,
      followed by the appropriate number. Please also note that the
      Resurrectional Troparion and Kontakion are pointed for singing
      according to the Divine Liturgy book put together by Dr. Timothy
      Clader.

      Thanks to Father John Whiteford, as always, for the materials on his
      website: http://www.saintjonah.org/lit/. I could not undertake this
      effort without his help.

      12/25 August 2013

      NINTH SUNDAY AFTER PENTECOST -- Tone 8

      Epistle:
      1 Corinthians 3:9-17 (§128)

      Gospel:
      Matthew 14:22-34 (§59)

      Ninth Sunday after Pentecost. Afterfeast of Transfiguration. Martyrs
      Photius and Anicetus. Hieromartyr Alexander, Bishop of Comana.
      Martyrs Pamphilus and Capito. Venerable Pallamon of Egypt. Venerable
      Castor, Bishop of Apt in Gaul. Monk-Martyrs Gerontius, Serapion,
      Germanus, Bessarion, Michael, Otar, and Symeon, of Gareji. New
      Monk-Martyr Barlaam, Archimandrite, and with him other brothers of
      Belogor Monastery: Hieromonks Sergius, Elias, Viacheslav, Ioasaph,
      John, Anthony; Hierodeacons Micah, Bessarion, Matthew, Euthymius;
      Monks Barnabas, Dmitri, Savva, Hermogenes, Arcadius, Euthymius,
      Marcellus; and Novices John, James, Peter, another James, Alexander,
      Theodore, another Peter, Sergius, and Alexei (1918).

      HOURS

      At the Third Hour:

      Troparion of the Martyrs
      Resurrectional Kontakion

      At the Sixth Hour:

      Troparion of the Transfiguration
      Kontakion of the Transfiguration

      DIVINE LITURGY OF ST. JOHN CHRYSOSTOM

      Third Antiphon (Beatitudes):
      10: 6 from the Octoechos; 4 from Ode 7 of the Festal Canon

      1. Blessed are the meek, * for they shall inherit the earth.

      Remember us, O Christ, Thou Savior of the world, as Thou didst
      remember the thief upon the Cross; and account us all worthy of Thy
      heavenly kingdom, O Thou Who alone art compassionate.

      2. Blessed are they that hunger and thirst after righteousness, * for
      they shall be filled.

      Hearken, O Adam, and rejoice with Eve; for he who of old stripped you
      both naked, and by deception hath taken all of us captive, hath been
      set at nought by the Cross of Christ.

      Nailed of Thine own will to the Tree, O our Savior, Thou didst deliver
      Adam from the curse which came through the tree, and hast rewarded
      that which is in Thine image with a dwelling in paradise, in that Thou
      art compassionate.

      Today is Christ risen from the tomb, granting incorruption unto all
      the faithful; and He reneweth the joy of the myrrh-bearing women after
      His suffering and resurrection.

      5. Blessed are the peacemakers, * for they shall be called the sons of God.

      Rejoice, O wise myrrh-bearing women, who were first to behold the
      resurrection of Christ, and who proclaimed to the apostles the glad
      tidings of the restoration of the whole world!

      6. Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake, *
      for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

      O ye apostles, who are manifestly the friends of Christ and are to be
      enthroned with Him in glory: entreat Him with boldness, that He
      intercede for us, for ye are His disciples.

      7. Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, * and

      Illumined by the light of unapproachable glory on Mount Tabor, the
      apostles cried out to Christ: “O God of our fathers, blessed art
      Thou!”

      8. Rejoice, and be exceeding glad, * for great is your reward in the heavens.

      Enraptured by the effulgence of the divine voice, the dew-bearing
      cloud and the radiance, O Christ, the apostles chanted: “O God of our
      fathers, blessed art Thou!”

      9. Glory to the Father, * and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.

      Now have invisible things become visible to the apostles: the
      Divinity which shone forth in the flesh on Mount Tabor upon those who
      cry: Blessed art Thou forever, O Lord God!

      The apostles were moved to awe by fear on Mount Tabor, marveling at
      the majesty of the kingdom of God, and crying out: Blessed art Thou
      forever, O Lord God!

      TROPARIA AND KONTAKIA

      Resurrectional Troparion,Tone 8: From on high didst Thou descend, O
      Compassionate One. / To burial of three days hast Thou submitted, /
      that Thou mightest free us from our passions. // O our life and
      Resurrection, O Lord, glory be to Thee!

      Troparion of the Transfiguration, Tone 7: Thou wast transfigured on
      the mountain, O Christ our God, / showing to Thy disciples Thy glory
      as each one could endure; / shine forth Thou on us, who are sinners
      all, Thy light ever-unending / through the prayers of the Theotokos.
      O Light-giver, glory be to Thee.

      [Troparion of the Temple]

      Troparion of the Martyrs, Tone 4: In their sufferings O Lord, / Thy
      martyrs received imperishable crowns from Thee, our God; / for,
      possessed of Thy might, / they cast down the tormentors and set at
      naught the feeble audacity of the demons. // By their supplications
      save our souls.

      Resurrectional Kontakion,Tone 8: Having risen from the tomb, Thou
      didst raise up the dead and didst resurrect Adam. / Eve also danceth
      at Thy Resurrection, // and the ends of the world celebrate Thine
      arising from the dead, O Greatly Merciful One.

      Glory…

      [Kontakion of the Temple]

      Both now...

      Kontakion of the Transfiguration, Tone 7: On the mount Thou wast
      transfigured, / and Thy disciples, as much as they could bear, beheld
      Thy glory, O Christ God; / so that when they should see Thee
      crucified, / they would know thy passion to be willing, / and would
      preach to the world // that Thou, in truth, art the Effulgence of the
      Father.

      EPISTLE

      Reader: The Prokimenon in the 8th Tone: Make your vows and pay them
      to the Lord our God.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In Judea is God known, His name is great in Israel.
      Choir: Make your vows and pay them to the Lord our God.
      Reader: In the 4th Tone: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord! In
      wisdom hast Thou made them all.
      Choir: How magnified are Thy works, O Lord! In wisdom hast Thou made them all.

      Reader: The Reading is from the First Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul
      to the Corinthians.

      [1 Corinthians 3:9-17, §128]: Brethren: We are labourers together with
      God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building. * According to the
      grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have
      laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man
      take heed how he buildeth thereupon. * For other foundation can no man
      lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ. * Now if any man build
      upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay,
      stubble; * Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall
      declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall
      try every man's work of what sort it is. * If any man's work abide
      which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward. * If any
      man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall
      be saved; yet so as by fire. * Know ye not that ye are the temple of
      God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? * If any man defile
      the temple of God, him shall God destroy; for the temple of God is
      holy, which temple ye are.

      ALLELUIA (NO PAUSE before first verse)

      Reader: Alleluia in the 8th Tone: Come let us rejoice in the Lord, let
      us shout with jubilation unto God our Savior.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: Let us come before His countenance with thanksgiving, and
      with psalms let us shout in jubilation unto Him.
      Choir: Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!
      Reader: In the same tone: Thine are the heavens, and Thine is the Earth.

      [Matthew 14:22-34, §59]: At that time, Jesus constrained his disciples
      to get into a ship, and to go before him unto the other side, while he
      sent the multitudes away. * And when he had sent the multitudes away,
      he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was
      come, he was there alone. * But the ship was now in the midst of the
      sea, tossed with waves: for the wind was contrary. * And in the fourth
      watch of the night Jesus went unto them, walking on the sea. * And
      when the disciples saw him walking on the sea, they were troubled,
      saying, It is a spirit; and they cried out for fear. * But straightway
      Jesus spake unto them, saying, Be of good cheer; it is I; be not
      afraid. * And Peter answered him and said, Lord, if it be thou, bid me
      come unto thee on the water. * And he said, Come. And when Peter was
      come down out of the ship, he walked on the water, to go to Jesus. *
      But when he saw the wind boisterous, he was afraid; and beginning to
      sink, he cried, saying, Lord, save me. * And immediately Jesus
      stretched forth his hand, and caught him, and said unto him, O thou of
      little faith, wherefore didst thou doubt? * And when they were come
      into the ship, the wind ceased. * Then they that were in the ship came
      and worshipped him, saying, Of a truth thou art the Son of God. * And
      when they were gone over, they came into the land of Gennesaret.

      ZADOSTOINIK

      Instead of “It is truly meet…” we chant the Irmos of the 9th Ode of
      the First Canon of the Feast, Fourth Tone ("Having crossed the Red Sea
      dry-shod..."):

      Refrain: Magnify, O my soul, the Lord transfigured on Tabor.

      Irmos: Thy birthgiving was undefiled: / God came forth from thy womb,
      / and He appeared upon earth / wearing flesh and made His dwelling
      among men; // therefore we all magnify thee, O Theotokos.

      COMMUNION VERSE

      Praise the Lord from the heavens, praise Him in the highest! O Lord,
      in the light of Thy face shall we walk, and in Thy name shall we
      rejoice forever. Alleluia, Alleluia, Alleluia!